Thursday, March 4, 2021

Thrifty Thursday-Taxes Day

      Not to panic anyone, taxes are not due today. We (DH) have an appointment with our accountant though and should know the damaged by days end. Last year we paid in several hundred to both federal and state. This year will be wonky. I ended up with an extra paycheck in 2020 because of how Fridays fell. His income was down considerably. We will not be able to take any credits for our daughter's college since she worked so hard last summer, her earnings were higher than the threshold allowed for parents to take any credit. We're just  not sure how this will all play out. I guess it is  appropriate that I try and think through how we have and can continue to use our time, resources, and money wisely. 

Time

  • Walks are free, healthy, and enjoyable when not bundled in lots of layers. I have taken advantage of our improved weather and pup and I are walking extra long the days I can break up my work day. 
  • Enjoyed popcorn and movie night at my daughters on Saturday. 
  • We enjoyed our Sunday drive.
  • Our daughter had  shoot near a Trader Joe's and rather than make  special trip, she coordinates her efforts, and texts me if I need anything. She got me two more of the tomato red pepper soup and DH's favorite vanilla granola. She wouldn't let me pay her because I ordered her two Thin Mints with my GS cookie order. I may just have to transfer something anyway to her, but she's so sweet to think of us when she makes this stop as it is very out of the way for me. You all know how I like a good Trader Joe's haul, but I showed restraint. 
Resources  
  • Used all pantry ingredients, some bought for Christmas baking and not used, for cookies. I finally wised up and only baked a single batch and froze the rest.   I literally have no flour in the house, having exactly the 1 12 cups needed for the cookies. I don't know if that has ever happened before where I have been completely out of flour. It was all my February bread making!
  • I did a tea inventory so I know what I actually have-we do not need any breakfast tea or black tea for a while and I will start drinking more as the weather warms up, iced.
  • I think it might have been a no food waste week. I fell like I should have a better system for tracking this than just my memory. 

Money

  • Layered more Kohls sales, clearance, and % savings to get a good deal on four sets of decent towels which are sorely needed. I'll clear out the worst of the lot for the animal shelter and rags. I also picked up two more Christmas gifts (I think I might be done with my daughters besides their main TBD gift and cash), plus two sleeveless scalloped trimmed work appropriate shirts for under sweaters and jackets, for the eventual return to office life. 
  • I picked up part of the towel order and got an additional $5 in Kohls cash, instantly available, and paired with the $20 I earned in the towel/shirt shop, and $5 I had about to expire, I put the  $30 towards two solar lanterns for my MIL for Mother's Day. These will be perfect on the deck, and can be brought onto the pontoon for extra light if needed when going for evening rides. We timed the pick up and very brief look around the store for a week night after 7:00 when we figured correctly the store would be practically empty. 
  • As some of the cash was expiring, I also found a cute sloth wine holder (not a need a definite cute want, for DD1) and there were a few cents put towards my daughters purchase of two clearance Under Armor water bottles. Normally the discount codes don't apply to national sportswear brands, but on the smaller bottle, her 25% off worked. If you know how expensive good thermal water bottles and jug can be, knowing she paid less than $24 including tax for both was a huge bargain. One replaced the same bottle she left in Iceland two summers ago. (Retail, with sales, for the 18oz is $16.99-$19.99, and the 64 oz. $19.99 to $24.99, and rarely go on sale). She needs bottles that can stay in her car or on set all day and still hold fresh, cold water. 
  • I just saw a notice that I have another $15 in Kohl's cash that expires on 3/31. I think I'll save for DD2 to put towards something she is bound to need when she is home later in the month on spring break. 
  • Used a $10.00 earned Domino's gift card and DH and I had pizza Friday for $2.83, which gave me lunch on Saturday, home on Sunday, and a have two slices in the freezer.
  • No other groceries were purchased-officially bringing me $4.00 under my $350 challenge for February on all household grocery, and health and beauty. No shopping in these categories in March yet.
  • Other than the sloth that came home with us because of the cuteness factor, we were not wowed by the  holiday clearance, still at only 60%. Those of you that know  and shop Kohl's know most all holiday stuff is  on sale throughout the months and weeks leading to Christmas at 50% off regularly anyway, so nothing leftover two + months later for 60%  off was not that great a clearance-I practiced the best thrifty tip and easily walked away.  

How do you leave this guy behind when he was
 only $5.69, and you had Kohl's cash in hand?
     
     Our big splurge was Dairy Queen on Sunday, but other than DH picking up take out lunches here and there, we didn't even get take out last month, not including the cheap pizza. I went ahead and made the Easter Garden donation on-line when I was paying some other bills, so that has been taken care of, even though Easter is still a month away. I doubt I'll be going in person unless they add an outside service, but it will be nice to see pictures of all the lily's and begonias. As has been the norm, we are spending little since we are going very little. How was your week in thrift?

19 comments:

  1. I'm always amazed at all the discounts/deals you have available to you. We don't get anything like that here - not that I'd know where to start anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing though is in the US, lot's of the sales and clearance are a bit false. As my example above-holiday stuff is always going on sale for 50% off-hardly anyone pays full price for things at Kohl's because there is always sales and more sales. IT makes it tricky, so need to know what a fair price would be, and then compare the sale to what you feel would be a fair price.

      Delete
    2. I was just thinking about that. Years ago there was an actual retail price for things, and occasional sales throughout the year. Now the sales are constant and dizzying, and the "retail" price is an imaginary number that no one pays, set as high as possible to create the illusion of a bargain.
      --Jim

      Delete
    3. I think in France they only have sales a couple times a year, for just this reason. The false marketing is difficult to understand.

      Delete
  2. I love the sloth! I had a free drink at Dunkin so I offered it to my daughter. She tried their new refresher and hated it, and I also thought it was disgusting. There was also an offer for 10 munchkins for $2 but they were all out. So they offered us two donuts for that price. I’m not sure that was even a good deal but I took it and my daughter ate both yesterday lol. Fair enough, I certainly didn’t want them and it made up for her lousy drink. I did a grocery pickup from Walmart yesterday, something I had only done once in the past, pre-pandemic and had felt guilty about at the time when I’m a perfectly capable human who could do her own work. That ship has sailed, and I didn’t feel the least bit guilty lol. It was a breeze and saved me at least an hour out of my day. Still had to run in aldis but that’s okay. I already started an order for pickup next Wednesday after work. I’ve been shopping Walmart all along with hesitation but it’s gotten to the point where I was double masking when I was going in so it’s probably better for my mental and physical health as well. I definitely spent less with no impulse buys. I picked up a $10 pizza for the fam to go with the soup I made. Cheap and helping out a local business/neighbor. Juniors went back to school full time yesterday in our district but my daughter has elected to stay home the rest of the year. That’s a great time savings for her and me not having to drive her. I’m off today and once I finish posting and eating breakfast I’m going to hide my phone and try to get things done around here. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the sloth adorable! He had to come home with her. I do not like coffee drinks-give me straight coffee! I hope your daughter has a good year net year, but can see why the change this year might not be good.

      Delete
  3. It wasn't the best week for thrift for me, in spite of being on a no-spend month. I found some very nice, cruelty free shampoo and conditioner BOGO, which I picked up for DD for Christmas. Would-Be-College-Boy was feeling at loose ends yesterday, so I asked him if he wanted to go to the thrift shop and out to lunch. I bought some quilting fabric, and two pieces to match youngest's chosen china set...I didn't even bother saving them for Christmas. Then we went to Denny's for lunch. Nothing which broke the bank, and we had a great time, but I want to get back on the wagon. Tomorrow, our local supermarket is having an amazing meat sale...whole beef sirloin tip roasts for $2.99/lb, petite sirloins $2.99/lb, and whole beef tenderloins $6.99/lb. That will be one heck of a grocery bill, but I will have the year's supply of steaks and roasts. I had planned for this event before dubbing March a no-spend/pantry challenge month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stoking up when things on sale are always my challenge caveats.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like another good week. I hope the taxes aren't too bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A touch worse than we expected, but manageable.

      Delete
  5. You really stretched that Domino's gift card, that's terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At $5.99 a pizza with two, very little out of pocket.

      Delete
  6. I can't even bear to think about our taxes, which I filed yesterday. Whenever I do, I take a deep breath & remind myself that we are gifted with what we have & make, & I fundamentally believe in helping others & (most parts) of the tax system. Even though it's painful all at once.

    Great work stacking sales. I have a post for tomorrow about a few frugal wins, but nothing to write home about. Too busy at work to think much about it. Luckily, a few eBay sales trickled in, and our mortgage went through so we can start making extra payments. I love seeing the progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacking the deals was a good help to the annual budget. Good luck with your ebay sales.

      Delete
  7. I love the sloth! I am not required to file taxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you-my youngest doesn't have to either but she would like the refund.

      Delete
  8. I was not impressed by Kohls Christmas sales that is for sure. I want 80-90% off. Dairy Queen is super expensive. You can get a gallon (well not any more what used to be a gallon) of ice cream for the cost of a cone. But boy is it good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DQ is a rare treat for that reason-so expensive. I would have though more than two months past Christmas they just want the stuff gone.

      Delete
  9. Did the sloth come with the bottle?

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.