Sunday, April 11, 2021

April 11th Menu

 


Oh swell, another week of cooking.  Last week I made a plan, but that was loose suggestions at best. Note that even if not mentioned, I've been adding extra portions of vegetables to each meal. 

  • Sunday: Easter Dinner-ham, cheesy potatoes, Swiss vegetable medley, broccoli salad, coleslaw, crescent rolls, no bake strawberry cheese cake. No supper obviously!
  • Monday: Left overs (and feed college kid before she heads back)
  • Tuesday: Red bag chicken on brioche buns, salad
  • Wednesday: Quiche with ham, broccoli, and cheese
  • Thursday: Crockpot mock lasagna
  • Friday: Tuna hotdish
  • Saturday: Home made pizza

     Here's how it really worked out. I cooked very little this week, using leftovers a few nights and convenience foods. DH also ate on for lunch one day and had a large Saturday lunch, so what was made stretched far. 


  • Sunday: Easter Dinner-ham, cheesy potatoes, Swiss vegetable medley, broccoli salad, coleslaw, crescent rolls, no bake strawberry cheese cake. No supper 
  • Monday: Left overs (and feed college kid before she heads back)
  • Tuesday: Red bag chicken on brioche buns, tator triangles
  • Wednesday: Frozen pizza
  • Thursday: Tacos with rice
  • Friday: Lasagna and salad
  • Saturday: left overs

     Yesterday my daughter and I didn't eat out as it was pretty chilly and just not pleasant to sit outside We ended up getting some premade food at Trader Joe's and ate t my house My Turkey Club wrap so so underwhelming, and her samosa would have been better made more traditionally not in a tortilla. Hard pass spending that much next time. What was a huge win though was the vegan mac and cheese. With a healthy crank of black pepper, and a little sea salt, I think I liked it better than most real mac and cheese I've had. While not inexpensive, at $4.49 it provided two decent portions; I'll buy again. I've got a jam packed freezer and pantry and spent a mini fortune at Trader Joe's on other items. I've already spent $282 for the month, so I best be using it all up now, starting with easy and using up any bits I have left that need using up. No waste mantra continues. .

  • Sunday: Tomato red pepper soup and grilled cheese sandwich 
  • Monday: Cheeseburger sliders on brioche buns, homemade fries
  • Tuesday: Chicken stir fry
  • Wednesday: Rice crust quiche with apple bread, broccoli salad
  • Thursday: Chicken sausage and butternut squash ravioli
  • Friday: Tuna hotdish
  • Saturday: Homemade pizza

      It's chilly out and I want to get a bit of that spring cleaning done so today will be easy meals, but also a bit of baking to use up some older apples. I heard a nasty rumor snow is in the forecast for the week, but I shouldn't be surprised. I'm glad I' well stocked though forgot to grab deli meat and sliced cheese for DH's lunches and I'll likely need milk by end of week. Amazing that by Saturday, it will be well past the mid point of April. I' looking forward to more light and bright meals, but in Minnesota, soups and hotdishes work well into spring. How are your meals looking? Did you stay  to a plan last week?

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like it went well for the most part and this week sounds good too. Sorry to hear it's still chilly there and maybe even getting more snow - enough already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We dodged snow over the weekend and this morning, but yes, on the weather report for later in the week. Enough is right.

      Delete
  2. Your week sounds like mine. Alot of leftovers and easier meals.
    I did a minimal cleaning outside around the clematis. Put up some of my spring decor. Mostly it was survival mode as work was a "bother" all week. Some rain, a family funeral but sunshine today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just do not have any spring décor. I consider flowers, a clean house and windows my décor, lol. I'm sorry to hear about a death in your family-my sympathies.

      Delete
  3. With my husband’s work schedule changing and me still on my diet, things were a little off last week. Top that off with me working all weekend and I’m not sure any of us know what’s going on lol. Tomorrow will be leftovers, fridge clean out. At some point this week we’ll have tomato feta pasta, mushroom soup, pork chops, steak and something with ground beef. Quite a plan there, huh? I stocked up on a few things at Sam’s and will do an order for produce, milk and some odds and ends but not a huge shop. Our temps dip down to 60ish this week after a few brushes with the 80’s last week. Thankful for none of the “s” word. Hopefully we’re past that! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plan has already changed-day 1. DH was hungry for hamburgers so did a rogue shop. He wanted to cook so who wa sI to stop him. e bought though a massive package of bakery hamburger buns as well as brat buns, even though I had other plans for the chicken Italian sausage. Oh well, I a am adaptable. He'll bring sandwiches on buns, but I do have bread thawed as well. Too much bread around here.

      Delete
  4. I say Swell! Another week of cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in a baking mood yesterday , but not so much cooking.

      Delete
  5. Rarely make a full menu, but will make toasted ham and cheese sandwiches tomorrow night along with tomato soup (yep, good old Campbells - jazzed up with some dried basil, a bit of real butter, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and black pepper. Tuesday will be stir fry with chicken breast along with some broccoli and a red, orange and yellow pepper and red onion. Should be a colorful stir fry. Later in the week, plan on making some cheese quesadillas and some homemade guacamole and tortilla strips for an easy supper. At some point, may make some fried rice along with egg rolls and pot stickers for a faux Chinese meal. Often my meals are made up of whatever needs to get used up before it ends up thrown out. I hate to waste food, so sometimes our meals are quite unusual but my husband doesn't mind. He kind of likes the weird variety we end up with. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoy good old Campbells too, made with milk so good and creamy and lots of pepper. We ended up having hamburgers, so soup and sandwiches will be later in the week. I'm just trying not to get bored with meals, but also not waste.

      Delete
  6. We had snow last week and again this morning but at least it's not sticking. And they've forecast -7 tomorrow. Can't wait for this cold snap to be gone now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing will stick here either after the warm weeks for the ground, but still yuck! We have more gray and rain, but weekend was gray but not too bad to look at house with my daughter.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.