Sunday, February 19, 2023

Check-In

      It's been a month since my husband died unexpectedly, changing my and my kids world completely. I've read your sweet comments and emails, the cards sent in real post, and feel the love and support of this online community. I'm just trying to navigate life now. Every day there's something new, more paperwork, a punch in the gut reminder of plans we made that won't happen, the loss all over again. I may not share any details, or maybe in time, I'll feel like sharing. I don't know from day to day how I will or am supposed to be. I hear this is normal. What's normal though anymore? I feel mixed between having no patience for whining about stupid life annoyances and being jealous of those same people who have the luxury of letting a little annoyance be their biggest pain of the day. I'm reading blogs, it's a bit of routine I feel is helpful, but have rarely commented. I like reading what's going on (my impatience with whining aside), new day trips and explorations, family life, funky (to me) ensembles that bring the blogger joy. 

     I left a comment to Kim, who I want to see in person and just be silent side by side because she knows, and I wanted her to know I am with her, at least in my heart. I commented to Sluggy to let her husband buy the beer. I wish my husband would have just bought more of the simple things that make him smile. He was a good man, a good provider, always wanting to make sure we were all taken care of, so delayed self-gratification frequently.  It took him decades to finally buy his boat, and now there it sits, without a captain. Buy the beer people. Better yet, indulge those aches and pains, "just a cold", or any other symptom with honest to goodness medical care. I have so many "I should have made him" moments, it eats me up. But, I have as many, "I'm glad we got to do this" moments as well. 

     The kids picked out the music for his memorial video, his favorites and ones important to them and him. We all together selected where we will make donations in his memory. DS spoke at the service on their behalf. DD1 wrote a beautiful poem for the tribute cards, and DD2 picked her favorite contemporary song for the service 10,000 Reasons. We included my mother-in-law in the plans too, and she selected the other hymn for the service. Our two God children read the verses we selected. There were more flowers than I had ever seen and both the visitation and service the next day were filled with people we knew and didn't but knew him through business or as old classmates. The service itself was fairly brief, with the pastor, who was pretty shook up by DS's death himself, giving a wonderful talk. So many people commented that the service was just so beautiful and fitting for him. And now, it's done. A month has gone by and it still feels like a really horrible dream. I cry at odd things, and things I suppose anyone would cry over in my situation. I try being strong, particularly when dealing with the never-ending paperwork, follow-up calls, or utility companies and insurance companies. I try being strong when the kids are around me, but then will ask for a few minutes to myself. Pup tends to barge into my bedroom and join me. He's seen often sitting and watching the front door. 

     My old blog content just doesn't fit right now, maybe will not again. We were trying to plan for an early retirement that won't be coming now. It's just me to think about, and how I can use some of the good planning he did and we did together to help our kids live out their hopes and dreams with a little less financial stress. It would make my husband happy to know and see them moving forward as they can, living productive lives as the good and kind people we raised them to be. They are all grieving hard, and in their own way. It's hitting them each differently as both their relationships with him, and where they are in life is so different. My son stayed longer but will be leaving soon. 

     He is helping me make sure the most important things are done, and the things on the house that need attention are planned for. DD1 has stayed here more than her own house, and it's been a hard return to school for DD2. She will come home whenever she needs but is trying to stay on track for her spring graduation. I took nearly two full weeks off, but then resumed work for the rest of this month on what I'm calling an intermittent schedule. I'm doing things that have to be done, triaging, and delegating things others can do. Basically, I'm just trying to keep my job floating. I'll take a vacation week when DD2 has spring break, but then will just take scheduled time as needed for all the appointments I still have to make, in person, by phone, or virtually. Did I mention the never-ending paperwork? I don't know how long I'll keep working now. My timeline has probably changed, but I'll make no decisions for a while. With all the time I've had off, I still have over five weeks of vacation banked, and sick leave to cover whatever time I determine is needed to manage my physical and mental health needs. I plan to use it and be selfish, no self-preserved, and use every minute I've earned. I know I am incredibly privileged to not have worries that so many in my situation would have and that is down to DH being such a good man and always putting his family first.

     I don't know when I'll formally blog again. Maybe I'll start something new in time. I appreciate the respect for my privacy not wanting to share the details of his passing. I did think you all deserved though to know directly from me that your kindness, support, and virtual hugs, were seen, felt, and appreciated. 

Thank you, 

Sam


55 comments:

  1. Sending love and hugs your way. There really aren't any words to say. I just can't imagine. I know that when I lost Mum it was just...hard, devastating. A spouse, a partner, I can't imagine. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for giving the updates. I know you know we are all wanting to say something/anything to help with the sorrow, but all words are lame and useless. I am glad you have family and friends around you. We will stop by regularly to see when/if/what you post. Hugs. Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you much love and support. You are in my thoughts so often as you navigate both the practical and emotional bumps on the road you’re now traveling. I am sure it is both a blessing and a curse to be as talented, competent, and resourceful as you are. You will make it. Take care. Bless you. Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, what a terrible, terrible shock. I am so very sorry to read this, Sam. Please accept my sincere condolences for you and your children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam I am so very sorry for what you have gone through, will go through and your tremendous loss. My heart aches for you. You, Kim, and Hilogene all had such traumatic losses at about the same time.
    Yes, this is all normal, whatever that is. Your feelings are yours and no one can tell what to feel or how to do things. We each travel a different road.
    Live to honor this wonderful man in all things you do. Talk about him, cry for him and always love him. That has helped me.
    I wish I could wipe away the pain. I just want you to know you are loved by many. If and when or how you come back is up to you - we will be here for you when that happens.
    Sending lots of love, prayers and hugs your way. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear from you, Sam. Come back when you can/want to. We'll be here waiting.

    I lost my father my senior year in college, so I feel for your youngest. Hopefully she'll feel the love from her friends like I did.

    (Hugs.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Sam for the update. I'm glad that you have your children, your extended family and probably especially pup right now to help you. And yes please make certain to use all that untaken leave to do what's right for you. It's not selfish, it's what you need to do. Take care. A

    ReplyDelete
  8. No Sam, thank you for letting everyone know you are doing alright.
    I checked in sporadically to see if you had posted and am glad to read that you are doing okay.
    Take care of yourself, I am sending you strength to help you find balance as you go forward in your life. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart aches for you. Your situation (and Kim's and Hilogene's) reminds us to hug our loved ones a little tighter, a little longer, and realize that today is all any of us have. You have more support than you know, and we all send you love and light and support from across the miles. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so very, very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Sam - thank you for the update. It's an answered prayer. You and Kim have been heaving on my heart. And now, the prayer is for your both to lean in and find a normal that does not cause great pain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the update. There is nothing like going through this type of grief for yourself and your children. After my husband died at 41 my kids and I all say we “have a different measuring stick” regarding life. I love frugal blogs, made many mistakes and wish I’d been better financially but we know nothing else really matters but our family/loved ones. If they’re ok we’re ok. Like buy the beer. “If only” can really take you down, it’s important to shut that off when you can. Best thoughts forward. Jre

    ReplyDelete
  13. SAM,
    I am so glad to hear from you, that you are doing well, whatever that is. It seems pup does miss him. I was so shocked when I heard. At least, you all had a good visit with all the children there. Take all the time off that is coming to you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry for your loss. It sounds like you had a wonderful husband. If you decide to blog again perhaps you can help those of us who don't know about all of the paperwork, calls and things that need to be done after a death. A check list kind of thing. Thanks for the update. diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sam, I'm so sorry for the pain and grief your family is suffering at this time. Your love and care for your husband always shone through in your posts. Thinking of you all at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for posting an update. I keep hitting the backspace button because I have no words. Just know that you are thought of and loved every day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Since I heard the devastating news you've been in my thoughts constantly, Sam. Thank you for updating us.
    I can't even begin to imagine how you are dealing with the loss of your lovely husband. Your beautifully written post brought tears to my eyes, I wish I could do more than just express my heartfelt sympathy.
    Write when you want to, it may take months or even years but we'll be here for you when you're ready as you always have been for us. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sending sincere condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sending prayers, hugs and love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have thought of you often since hearing about your loss. Thank you for updating us, your post was beautifully written. We will be here for you if, and when, you decide to blog again. Sending you love and hugs. Suz In WA

    ReplyDelete
  21. Prayers for peace. I too thought "I should have, if I had only" when my late husband died suddenly of what we thought was a cold that was really heart failure... a friend who had lost her husband advised me to say to myself , God's will, God's way, God's time and in God's hands. When I started that line of thinking I still say it. Hubby said the Amish say it , as he heard it a lot when a 16 month boy was accidently killed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful words. A good reminder that our lives are truly in God's control!

      Delete
  22. I have to admit that you have been on my mind every day. I was so shocked to hear that your husband had passed away that I really didn't know what to say. I still don't really know what to say except that I am truly sorry for your loss and all that you are struggling with at this time. I appreciate that you did a check in post to let us know you are as well as you can be. You will continue to be on my mind and in my prayers. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
  23. Continued prayers and good thoughts for you and your family. Virtual hugs. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thinking of you and your family Sam. Arilxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sending you and the kids, love and hugs. I think of you, Kim and Hilogene often. Take all the time you need, if you do come back we will be here.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear S, I think of you all every day. There is no right way, just any way you can find to get through another day. With love to all of you from far away xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks so much for this post. Sending healing thoughts to you and your family. I'm sure that dealing with grief in addition to all of the business/financial aspects of a loss is overwhelming. Your regular readers have missed you (and have been concerned about you after hearing about your loss on other blogs). You've created a community here (albeit one where most of us have not met one another). The most important thing right now is for you to take care of yourself. If you're up for returning, we will be here for you. If you want to think about returning in the future, a discussion about types of paperwork that must be handled, setting new financial priorities and personal routines, and ways in which you have provided yourself with moments of self-care might be helpful. These are only suggestions-of course, when and if you come back, it must be on your own time. Hoping for the best for you as you navigate through all of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the mention of paperwork more than once had me wondering too.

      Delete
  28. Holding you and your family, but especially you, in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been thinking of you and your children. I'm very sorry for your loss. Thank you for letting us know how you are. Please take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You and your family have my prayers for peace and comfort. I’m so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Also a widow at a young age. I WILL NOT say I know how your feel. Everyone's loss is their own, how it affects them and their family. It is important to realize that you and your children will find your way thro

    ReplyDelete
  32. SAM,
    Thinking of you.
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for the update. No doubt, not easy to write. Thinking of you often and lifting you and your family up in prayer. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  34. (((((Sam))))) It is really nice to read your update. My heart goes out to you as you walk this new journey. 💕

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am so sorry for your loss. May his memory be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you for the update. I'm sure it's all so overwhelming and heartbreaking. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello Sam, I am so shocked and saddened by this news. You and your family are in my thoughts.
    Sincerely, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh Sam. I am not really commenting on blogs right now and I have a card for you that I have started and then I cry too hard and have to quit. I so want to be with you and see you. I just want to sit next to you and cry and then sit quietly. I am so sorry you are going through this. If I could take away your pain I would. I will contact you as soon as I can hold myself together. It is one damn day at a time, and sometimes one hour. But I promise you we will see each other before the year is out. I want to do a girls trip in the fall and I will insist that you come if you are ready for the crazy. We can always slip off and walk the beach if things get too rowdy. Love you more than you know my friend. There is a reason we are together in this trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You'll be happy to know I let him buy the beer....on this occasion and in the future too. You hang in there and take time for yourself. Love, slug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Slugs! :-) Good for you! We have always been frugal - like most of us here - but to deny yourselves/partners small things - why? As we know - we aren't promised tomorrow. Live now - enjoy the fruits of your years of labor now. We aren't promised "when we retire" - my 61 yr old brother died last summer, leaving his wife a young widow like SAM - and it's heartbreaking. She herself decided to retire & enjoy what remains of her life. She said she'd make it work. But I'm heart broken that my brother isn't here to enjoy these years with her. Sadly, he didn't take care of his health - and died suddenly of a heart attack. Please, people - go to the doctor regularly - have your blood work done once a year, & go when you aren't feeling well. Had my brother done this, he'd still be alive today. :-(
      Enjoy the here & now. Say I love you. And yes, buy the beer.

      Delete
  40. Sam - we have never met - and may never meet - but please know that I love you and am thinking of you. My husband is in hospital currently, and so much of what you wrote resonated with me
    You are in my thoughts
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
  41. You and your family have been in my thoughts so often over the past month. I really hope you & Kim get that time together, to be silent, to cry, to go for walks, to laugh - whatever feels right in the moment, with someone who can largely understand your situation.

    I'm thinking of all of your kids, but particularly your youngest, as I'm sure it's been such a challenging experience to go back to school & try to focus on graduation. Good thoughts to her, as she navigates these challenges.

    If & when you decide to blog, on whatever topic feels interesting to you, we'll be here. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am sorry for your loss. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Sending sincere condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am so very sorry for your loss. It seems that it was sudden. Many prayers for your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I have been thinking about you today Sam. Sending good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I am so sorry for your great loss. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you for taking time to post this as we want to know how you are doing. I too will wait when and how you post - you take your time and don't let anyone pressure you to be one thing or another.

    ReplyDelete
  48. You and the children continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. You have so many friends in RT and online. Lean on others if you need to. I am very happy to see that you were able to write briefly.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I have periodically checked on your blog for any updates you might share, and found this today. Your words are heartfelt. After just going through a hard year of health for myself, I do so understand your "just buy the beer" post. Each day is a gift we need to take advantage of to the fullest....and even in those seemingly small ways! I hope you will, at some point, continue with a blog of some sort because I feel you (and we) find comfort in the words you share. Know that thoughts and prayers are in the air from Wisconsin to you and your family. chris

    ReplyDelete
  50. I am so very sorry for your loss. May God grant you the peace to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I started reading your blog after The Frugal Girl did her blogroll on her site. I just came back to your site today. I am so sorry for your loss and even though we will probably never meet in real life, I just wanted you to know that my thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.