Thursday, April 8, 2021

Two Week Thrifty Thursday

     Since I took last week as a light week blogging, I thought I'd combine a couple weeks worth of my Thrifty Thursday. This is my recap where I tried to summarize my attempts to make good with my  time, resources, and money. The focus has been on time, not money, so a lengthy list.

Time

  • Sunday the 29th started with the excitement of my daughter viewing, and deciding to put in an offer on a house. She is now very serious, knows what she wants, where she'll compromise, and where she will not. DH and I went on the viewing with her, a perfect little craftsman house with so many of the features she was looking for. There was a rush of viewings, and the seller was in the driving seat. She didn't get the hosue-went $20,000+ over asking price with no concessions. Her bid was over asking price, but not enough. I went with her to the write up of the offer, so onw she knows that process. We're going with her again this Sunday to look at another house. She now has a dedicated realtor, and hoping she gets a foot ahead of  the masses. 
  • We had to switch our Minneapolis Institute of Arts  pass to Thursday since Sunday changed. It is one of my happy places.DD1 could no longer join us, but DH, DD2, and I wandered a few hours inside, followed by getting a take out lunch. 
  • Finally watched Bohemian Rhapsody, and then the YouTube footage from Queen's performance at Wembley Stadium for Live Aid. I highly recommend doing both! 
  • Yes, it was technically spring, but little green outside last week, so the wander around the zoo and conservatory was a highlight of how I spent time last week. 
  • DH and I both got shot umber 1! I can't even describe how exciting that was and how much hope I have. The clinic was so efficient, and people just seemed to be in a good mood, expressing thank you to the workers and health professionals. They had interpreters at the ready-I heard at least three languages other than English, and it felt like community pulling together. 
  • We almost passed as DD2 slept late, but she got up in time to make the outdoor Easter Service. It was so nice to see people, take individual communion, and hear live music, safely spread out. 
  • Ended Easter with a long call with our son. He had spent the day hiking with friends. 
  • This might  be a little annoying for some people because she is young and I know there are still issues with older people finding vaccines, but I was able to get DD2 her first vaccine scheduled near her college for this coming Saturday. There were a lot of slots-greater Minnesota seems to be less embracing of  getting vaccinated, or, perhaps they just got a much higher per capita  supply. She may need to schedule her second, if possible, back here, as I think it is the Moderna version that is a four week  apart second dose. If not possible, we'll do a road trip.
  • As I got up super early on Tuesday to get  a jump start on work, I checked for vaccines for my other daughter as long as I was up. Luckily, found a whole crop not too far from her work, and she is also scheduled for Saturday, and with 2nd dose scheduled for May 1. As she has worked out of the home in very public settings, I think getting her slotted in is appropriate even with taking a slot in the metro. FYI CVS, as someone suggested, does have a new release of appointments each early morning for scheduling.
Resources  
  • Even though we spent a lot on take out last week, nothing was wasted. What we couldn't finish at a meal, was eaten later or next day. Mammoth sixed burritos anyone?
  • Froze a very meaty ham bone, two packages of sliced ham, and a third package of chunky ham. That $10 ham will likely feed us at least another eight times!
  • Living a block from farm fields and backing up to both a park, and a marshy pond, critter invasion sometimes occurs-yuck. I splurged, but hope it solves a problem, and bought a covered, easy release, dog food bin that was in the AOS aisle at Aldi. 

Money

  • Used $20 of Kohl's cash and a 30% discount to score a very cute pair of  short boots and a purse for my daughter. It was fun to treat her to things not affordable on a college kid budget, but spending only $12 myself-retail price supposedly for both was $135.
  • We used up an old Starbucks car and both got drinks for under $3. (still pricey for coffee!!)
  • DD2 got her haircut  for free since she went ahead and cut it short enough that she could donate. She left a generous tip though for the stylist. I'm not sure what the rules are on colored hair now, but I'm sure mine is more than long enough to donate if accepted. I don't even think I'd have to go shorter than shoulder length. 
  • DH filled up with $ .90 off coupon from grocery items at our local grocery store. He saved $11. Nothing to sneeze at. He saved another little bit using another code when he filled my daughters car for her. 
    
     I'm back to looking at  my spending this week, and the rest of April as we have an expensive May and June. I'm still saving a lot of gas and wear and tear on my car by working from home, and entertainment is for the most part, walks, books, and already paid for as part of our monthly bill streaming. We've had a lot of rain, and I am happy about that during the week as things are getting green. I hope you had a good few weeks in the thrift area. Please share any big wins you had. 

24 comments:

  1. Good for you! College students living on campus should get the vaccine as soon as possible, in my opinion. My youngest ask DH to schedule him for the vaccine. He's scheduled for late April, and it will be in pill form. Again, if we are going to insist our young adults return to their h.s. for in-person instruction, then we need to provide them with the option to get the vaccine for both their own and others' safety. Our state has done a stellar job in vaccine distribution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know there was a pill version. Could you link, Meg?

      Delete
    2. I cannot link it without giving out my location, which, for privacy sake, I won't do in the comments. I will contact you privately.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry your daughter wasn't able to get that house. Fingers crossed for the next one. And you don't need to apologize for getting your daughters' vaccines scheduled. If the slots are available why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her budget isn't that high, but should be doable once the market opens, but so much under her budget is condos and townhouses, that she does not want. I wasn't apologizing, just acknowledging some people are still not finding open vaccine slots.

      Delete
  3. Lots of great wins! I'm with Meg, I hope all college students are able to get the vaccine. In fact, I want my high schooler (and, next fall high schooler) to be getting a vaccine this summer. Fingers crossed. Both go back to school in the upcoming couple of weeks, and that prevents community spread, as well as their own health & safety. Both of mine are very strict about mask wearing (including playing full soccer games wearing masks, which sounds miserable to me), to try & keep things safe & get to stay out & about.

    Frugal wise, I sold another travel gift card, and was able to add that to our 2021 travel budget (which, will be significantly bigger than 2020) & we decided to sell our vacation house. That one frugal choice far outweighs anything else. We also sold a few things, used a few coupons, and the normal things. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the next trials for the 12-16 year olds are good, and they do have the opportunity by fall, if not earlier. Wow-selling the vacation home. I suppose you have to weigh where time and money intersect.

      Delete
  4. Hope your daughter finds her perfect home very soon. I'm sure she'll know when she does see it. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it will feel like home for her. The one last week was a good one though.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great week! I got my first jab today, my husband yesterday. I'm going to be on the site when they open at 7am tomorrow for appointments here to try to get all my kids an appointment too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that you have coopted jab. It sure is starting to open up. Now my son will be eligible on April 15th in CA.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you and your dh were able to get your first shot of the vaccine and both your dds are getting theirs on Saturday. I would not feel bad about them being young and some older people not getting one yet. I am happy for anyone who can get the vaccine. I have to wonder what is wrong with someone who begrudges anyone else getting the vaccine. I'm thrilled for all of you.

    Sounds like a good week for you. You will get many meals out of that ham for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feel bad, or apologetic, but sad that it is so hard for all to get and find slots. I'd be happy to help others track them down as others helped me with information.

      Delete
  7. I certainly not complain about a person's child getting a vaccine! I don't think processed hair can be sold or donated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rules have changed on hair donations because after all, they die it for the wigs anyway. I just am not sure what the rules changed to. I Think it might matter if it is healthy or not-and, even if color or graying, I have really thick and strong hair.

      Delete
  8. I think it is great that your children are getting the vaccine. Here in Idaho anyone over 16 can get one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the age here now as well, but some people are still having hard time getting appointments.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. yes, and we both did well, no sickness or pain really.

      Delete
  10. I think anyone who wants a vaccine should be allowed to get one! Our best frugal thing this week was hearing that one of my daughters dual enrollment classes is offering a $100 refund because of the Covid relief bill! So essentially, we paid $80 for three college math credits! I’m super pumped for that. Needless to say I filled that form out immediately lol. I wonder if her other dual enrollment class will offer the same? Imagine if all education was that affordable... JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allowed and available is the difference. You had such a long wait for your dad and I know some people are still having issues. That's a boost. My daughter had a $150 payment that was not form her college work deposited. I do not know what that tis for-maybe the same? (we pay a whole lot more than $60 a credit though, LOL.

      Delete
  11. My sister and I are in the process of putting mom's house on the market. We have both decided we will probably sell to a first time buyer since they tend to get out bid so often

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful thing to do. She makes a good income, excellent credit, and down payment. She also doesn't need to sell a house first so we feel something will click.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.