Wednesday, April 7, 2021

My Wednesday Pantry-Quick Favorite Meal for My Daughter

     


     We did not do that much cooking last week, but I wanted to make sure she had a hearty lunch of her choice before hitting the road. Right before my kiddo packed up her car, I listed a few of the things we had on hand. When she heard I had mushrooms, she asked if we could make stroganoff. Perfect! I would have a portion left for DH to go with the  leftover ham but pretty small potato and veggies, plus I knew she would be sustained until back at school. She is not a big meat eater, so we packed the mushrooms in and went without ground beef. I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and that added a  bit of protein. Here's my simple and quick stroganoff.

  • 1/2 onion
  • 1/2 a punnet of   mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 Tbls butter
  • 1 can crema of mushroom soup
  • 3/4 cup of Greek Yogurt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • Splash of milk to thin out to preference
     Chop onion and sauté in the butter. Add sliced mushrooms when the onions are translucent.  Add Pepper and garlic, and continue to cook until mushrooms are sot. Add the soup and yogurt, and more salt an pepper to taste if you prefer. I let this simmer for about 15 minutes while I made 1/2 box of rotini pasta. That was it. If you don't like using the cream soups, make a cup + of your own by making a roux and string that in, but I would probably use more mushrooms, onions, and seasoning. 

     Besides the cheesy potatoes and Swiss vegetable medley,  I made a new to me desert. It was a no bake  cheese cake, with strawberry toping. I used a premade graham cracker crust-all about ease this Easter.

1 8 ounce brick cream cheese
1 thawed  whipped topping tub
sliced strawberry's
2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup sugar

     Blend softened cream cheese with vanilla and sugar with a mixer. Once whipped, fold in the whipped topping, then fold in sliced strawberry's. Pour the  cheese cake mix into the  pie crust, and chill at least three hours, or a day ahead as I did. For the topping, I just put a touch of sugar over strawberry's and let the natural juice make s thin syrup. You could cook and thicken if you prefer. It was delicious, but if I make again, I'd make the crust from graham crackers and do in a 9 by 13 pan and have smaller, less dense portions. A little goes along way! 

15 comments:

  1. I made stroganoff yesterday too, it’s a favorite of 3/4 of us lol. I used ground beef and had mine with cauliflower rice instead of noodles. Always hits the spot! I just got my first Covid shot so I’m going to take it easy today, see if I can’t get hubby to cook some burgers on the grill for me, if not I’ll grill some chicken or something simple. Did you have any side effects from your shot? I made strawberry pretzel salad for Easter, similar to your cheesecake but with jello and a pretzel crust. I’ve also had it with crushed pecans for the crust. I took some into work so it wouldn’t be too much temptation here at home. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's not a huge meat eater and prefers without ground beef, so I humored her. I had a little soreness, and possible two day slater a headache and felt hot, but ma or may not have been shot. I've seen others talk about the pretzel salad. I should look for it.

      Delete
  2. Yummy, I'll take mushrooms over meat any day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love stroganoff, but mushrooms are one of the 2-3 things that my non-picky eater won't eat (also, shrimp).

    I made cheesecake for Easter as well. It was a crustless recipe (Basque) & was very easy, served with berries. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese cake was a hit, and maybe if I don't want to bother making a crust, I'll try your version. Other than my vegan daughter, and the younger just not liking to eat much meat, my family is very unpicky.

      Delete
  4. Cheesecake is my number two favorite dessert after cannolis. I should try your recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum now I am hungry. On a low carb diet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you-all I seemed to do was eat last week so going for a high fruit and veg plate this week.

      Delete
  6. It sounds really good with the mushrooms and no beef. Next time Aldi has the mushrooms on sale I am going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves this so much, no meat at all. It si very hearty.

      Delete
  7. Our stroganoff recipe is very similar to yours, except I brown ground beef first, then sauté the onion. If I have fresh mushrooms, I use them, if not, I use canned, and if I have no canned, then I make it without mushrooms. I serve it over egg noodles. It's actually a favorite in our house.
    My bunny cut-out cake has a frosting made with heavy cream, cream cheese, marscapone cheese, butter, and powdered sugar. It tastes light, but it is anything but! Safe travels and a successful semester to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made it your way. She was happy to see mushrooms and this was her request. I would have used egg noodles if I had them.

      Delete
  8. stroganoff is a recipe I always like, the worst ones are not bad.
    Yours sound scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.