Wednesday, November 3, 2021

My Wednesday Pantry-Grocery Budget Strategies

      

Not my Pantry-DH Would have a melt
down if mine looked like this. It's one
 area he is constantly creating order! 

     This is a different kind of weekly menu. Heck, I ever stick to it anyway so thought I'd change my  word focus a bit. I'm shaping up our budget heading into 2022. I want the coming year and the following to be our test to live on my salary alone. That means everything from basics like food and utilities, to optional expenses of entertainment, travel and gift giving should be paid for from my bi-monthly paychecks, with 1-2 3rd check months. We are fortunate to have by this years end, in long term savings enough to cover the following life goals- the rest of our daughters college, set asides for three housing projects; deck, bathroom, and new flooring, plus the miscellaneous repairs, two years of Roth, and even a hold for our contribution to future weddings. It doesn't yet, nor do I think by years end, will there be enough to cover major travel, but I've got a future post to think on that. We have emergency savings of 12 months elsewhere should both shoes drop. If this goes right, every penny DH takes home will be going into savings.

     This means I need to find $150 average per month, $1800 per year in reductions to our spending. On paper, it's a breeze. My commuting costs are drastically cut. I'm trying to plug money holes and reduce purchases coming into the home of non consumable nature. But, we also want to live life and we enjoy some of the finer things, and that' where the  strategize need to come in.

     And as much as beans and rice are healthy and can be tasty, it's not all I want to cook. However, to end the year and start retraining myself for the next two, I've got a strategy for November and December. Both months have a holiday week, and both months have 1-2 people more in the house. I've got some stock up items, but not to the point I wouldn't need to shop. My plan though is to  eat a combination of low cost and healthy food, building up additional  stock items at loss leader prices, and keep a generous $100 extra for the holiday weeks. The grocery shop needs to be at or below $75 per week. It will mean scratch and double portion cooking, and lots of humble meals. I don't mind at all as when it gets chilly those are what I crave. 

Here's a few of our favorite budget meals:

  • Soups of course:
    • Chicken noodle soup, loaded with vegetables with bread on the side
    • Bean and bacon or ham with cheddar cheese biscuits
    • Potato corn chowder and bread sticks
    • Tomato soup with grilled cheese
  • Beef, bean and cheese enchiladas-when made with just beans, DH was luke warm but loved when I added beef and used black beans instead of refried beans.
  • Taco Tuesday night-when adding rice and beans, not only is it a filling meal, it yields lunch for several days and even a burrito or two to pop in the freezer for a future lunch.
  • Crock pot pasta-loads of variations, but the pizza version was definitely a winner
  • Cottage pies-these have become one of DH's favorite
  • Chicken, rice, broccoli and cheese hotdish-my absolute favorite
  • Turkey meatloaf and roasted potatoes
  • Tuna hotdish with cheese
  • Egg bakes with homemade muffins-brunch options for Sundays that keeps us filled for the day
  • Goulash-I can't help but getting a large batch of this staple, so it serves as lunch for many days as well
  • Chili and cornbread, perhaps with rice
  • Chicken-vegetable stir fry with rice
  • Homemade flatbread pizza with miscellaneous toppings

     These can be recirculated through the month as needed. What's not here is a load of  meat based dishes, but there is protein across the board. I'll spurge on things like beef roasts and steaks, bacon wrapped chicken breasts, and salmon for holiday meals themselves. I'll keep replacing spices, olive and sesame oil, and other things that jazz up humble ingredients. I'll have fun browsing web sites and cooking books and putting a low cost spin on when possible. I figure if I can get in the mindset of shopping, cooking and eating this way during peak holiday season when every store has tempting and expensive treats and convenience, I can easily trim perhaps $50 a month from our grocery budget heading into 2022. I know that many people  spend on average way less than $75 per week, and with larger families, so this feels doable and not painful. Plus, for the end of the year-I'll have my holiday spending surplus.

      It's just one of many strategies to reach that $150 average monthly budget reduction. This will still be $400 for both November and December, but if I reduce to say $350 going forward, even if I keep a holiday splurge budget, I'll trim about $500 annually in groceries. Slowly building stock items will help me as well when I want to do a drastic budget challenge or a no spend week. Are you reducing pricier ingredients from your shopping? What are some basics and some splurge items you keep as part of your regular purchases that both keep your budget low, but food delicious? 

     

21 comments:

  1. Have you tried the Budget Bytes website? https://www.budgetbytes.com/ I think she does a really fantastic job of keeping lots of flavor & good nutrition with lower prices. I've tried a lot of the recipes, and the majority of them go into our list of keepers. I made the slow cooker chicken & dumplings this week, and it's a great & easy recipe. I add a few diced potatoes, and add a bit of chicken broth vs pure water. Season to taste at the end. https://www.budgetbytes.com/slow-cooker-chicken-dumplings/

    Otherwise, like you, we're doing the basics. Looking for sale prices, stocking up when things are less expensive, making swaps for less expensive (or simply on hand) ingredients, etc.

    Your plan sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried that site, but I will. I love comport food like chicken and dumplings. If your boys are fans, that is a good hearty meal after their sports.

      Delete
    2. I have 3 kids and 4 grandchildren that use Budget Bytes. I would say it's pretty good

      Delete
  2. I keep a very large assortment of herbs and spices and oils. It really helps to change up flavor profiles of dishes.
    I have to keep my pantry organized or I would go crazy. When I saw the picture I wanted to jump in and start straightening it up. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my disclaimer-I could not cook with a pantry that I can't see things! I'm adding additional oils and new to me spices to try when they are on sale.

      Delete
  3. I don't really beat myself up when I "splurge" on something at the supermarket, figuring I don't eat out. But, my splurging tends to be on seafood, mostly salmon, at $7.99/lb. I have also now agreed with Daughter, since raising chickens, that I will only purchase free range chickens. I purchase Kerrygold butter at Costco, as the quality is far better, and the price not that different from the regular supermarket price. (Although, I will purchase it from the supermarket when it is $1.99/lb) In terms of produce, I will splurge on leeks and shallots. Leeks just really make risotto better, and shallots are a favorite of ours.
    Constant cheap repetitions in our menu are tuna casserole, risotto, cottage pies, slow cooker baked potato soup, slow cooker chili and homemade bean dip with homemade quesadillas or chips (for weekend days when I don't feel like setting a table.) I also generally have potatoes and frozen, breaded cod or halibut on hand for easy fish and chips dinners on those days when I *really* want to go out. (And, thank you for mentioning sweet potato wedges--those are now a favorite, and much quicker than oven fries--you don't have to soak sweet potatoes or yams.) Lately, I've been in a rut with meal planning. I think it's because the kids have constantly changing class and work schedules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tuna hotdish last night had a twist of little bits of assorted cheese including scraping out th elast of the cream cheese, and a spoonful of cottage cheese as I had so little cheddar left. The result was good. Sweet potato wedges are a favorite in our house now.

      Delete
  4. Living on one salary and saving the other is a great strategy. I am sure you can do this. Looking at your list of food, I think, they are all yummy. Lately, I have decided to track my food budget too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing fancy, but the meals taste good. Tell me how you do tracking. I'm up to $5.50 this month on a cucumber, clearance sandwich rolls, a can of mushroom sauce and something else-the most expensive something, and I can't think what it is!

      Delete
  5. It's funny but when you mentioned "beans and rice" my mind flew back to my trip to Costa Rica, where beans and rice is a breakfast staple. There's nothing wrong with that - moving to beautiful Costa Rica could be an option right? Nah, I know it's not, but if I didn't have my kids just down the road I would consider it¨!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, a guy from highschool just threw out on Facebook that Costa Rica as a place he is thinking of relocating to. Someone chimed in and mentioned another guy that has already done that. Maybe!

      Delete
  6. I couldn't do that pantry picture above either, LOL. Now that it's just dh and me, I do splurge on a few food items now. I love organic whole milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we'll have splurge items too, but we actually like umble meals, so this shouldn't be too hard.

      Delete
  7. I think it is great that you are going to try to live on one salary! Great job with the emergency savings, and having the money set aside for college tuition and housing projects too.
    I like your meal ideas, and it is easier for me to save money on groceries in the fall and winter. Love soups and stews and chili. I'm going to make a white chicken chili this week; haven't made it in ages, and I think it will be a bit of a change.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep saying I'm going to make a white bean chicken chili, and never do! I lov i t when it is creamy-not brothy, and have been disappointed th elast few times we got it as take out.

      Delete
  8. I think spices are the key to making just about anything taste really delicious. Also varying the seasonings it the key to prevent boredom.
    I am a serious stocker when food prices are at their lowest. One look in my freezer certainly confirms that. And even though my menu plans might seem to focus on meats, fish or chicken, the actual amount we eat is small. TheHub and I split a steak, a fish filet, a chicken breast etc. so it is rarely the focus of any meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I need to do better at-the stocking when things are truly rock bottom price. DH would love more fish-I don't eat muc and am not good at cooking it.

      Delete
  9. By shopping loss leaders whether I need the item or not, I definitely save money. I eat much less meat per meal and do not suffer. If I need/want to eat more at a meal, I do. But, I do not put it on our plate to begin with.

    Tommy has become very conscious of what needs to be eaten now that I cannot get down to see what is on the shelves in the refrigerator. If he does not pull stuff out and put it on a top shelf, I ask him to as I contemplate what we will eat and when.

    Buying produce in bulk helps. Even if the price is not lower at the farmer's, I do have it at home to cook. Sweet potatoes during the winter, sitting right here, help in meal planning as well as for pie and bread.

    I do NOT like bean-based soups. But, I do love potato soup. A big bowl of blackeyed peas or navy beans makes up for my dislike I bean-based soups. I just like my beans in a different dish.

    We do not spend nearly your $75/week on groceries, and eat well--meat, vegetable and fruits every day. Of course, I do have meat that has been given to me. And, my personal rule for chicken is it has to be $2/lb. or less. Stocking up in the freezer helps.

    It seems you are the type who analyzes everything, so I think you will do well with this. It certainly helps that your husband is excited about this project and will probably help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an analyzer, that is for sure. My husband has a big appetite and high metabolism. He needs the calories, so it is hard to keep to a super low budget. He's under weight likely.

      Delete
  10. When thinking about your 2022 challenge, I think you need to remember "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Even if you "only" manage to save 80% of DH's income, that will be a great victory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good reminder. Regardless of if we succeed, it will help us determine what our priorities are with our money.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.