Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Positively Tuesday-Find Joy

      

Sharing in memory of a blog friend. I hope her
last days were filled with beautiful sunrises.

     A reader let me know our blogger friend Cheap Chick passed away on October 22. For those that read her blog, you already know she was the epitome of grace and courage, living whatever time she had surrounded by and with people and places that bring her joy. Her last post in August was simply beautiful, pictures and words of love and nature. In her memory, I will look closer, think clearer, and appreciate deeper the joys and simple pleasures of my life.

  1. I'm grateful my daughters oral surgery for her implant prep went well and she for the most part stayed ahead of the pain. She was tired, but any sort of trauma to a person's body, plus  the drugs given during the procedure will cause that. She's back to work today.
  2. Building off that, I'm happy she had oodles of paid time off, and I did as well to  help get her there and back and stay with her. 
  3. I got my Swiss Colony  booklet, and am planning to send DS a Thanksgiving treat. It was a simple pleasure for me to know how much he liked getting it last year at Christmas, and that he liked the little cakes so much. He's not much of a sweet eater, so the petit fours did the trick. 
  4. Out walking pup, I went past a neighbors house as he was coming home. He just sold his house and he and his son will be moving. I chatted for a few minutes, and shared that they were good neighbors and will be missed. It made me mindful that overall, we have pretty good neighbors, even the ones next door who tend to send there kids outside to  run and yell and cry loudly. You can't pick your neighbors so getting friendly and respectful ones is a joy. 
  5. I got through interviews and it looks like I'll be able to hire back the office support staff, who I thought I had hired permanently last year. Through a communication glitch, his position was classified as a one year temporary assignment. I am happy to not have to start someone new, but even happier to now feel like he has stability and can really focus on learning and developing his skills. 
  6. Seeing my younger daughter with the dog was a joy every day. She missed him so much, and in return he was at his utmost cute. His fur is at the totally fluffy stage-not overgrown yet, and despite his 10 1/2 years, when he plays with his balls, he's a puppy all over again. No offense, but he truly is the cutest dog. 
  7. DH and I had "the talk" Sunday morning about figuring out a budget to live on just my salary in 2022 and 2023. He was surprisingly pleased I raised the idea. I was more pleased that he too was of the mindset that we need to do this, but not with a miserly or cheapskate mentality, just through  good actions. Mostly, it will be a year of looking at where we can cut fat and stop stupid spending-the rest, entertainment, a little travel, eating out in moderation, and gift giving, including charitable donations, stay in tact. It's more than a simple joy to be on the same page as your spouse. 
  8. I don't know why I didn't snap a picture, but I loved having my light up pumpkins outside instead of just in the window. They really glowed in the dark. Mom's ceramic pumpkin was too far out of my  reach, and I didnt want to move a bunch of stuff so went with just the plug in guys. 
  9. While we had less than 25 trick or treaters this year, we must have had the politest ones in town! I don't recall a single kid not giving a very bold thank you, and I'd say over half, the ones elementary age and older, all said Happy Halloween. DH noticed this too Well done kiddos! 
  10. My younger daughter got safely back to college in plenty of time to enjoy her festivities on campus. My older daughter and I  shared pictures we each received from friends and family's kids dressed up in their costumes. It was a nice end to Halloween. 
     I hope your week was one with a lot of smiles, simple pleasures, and joys. The sad and difficult things will find us without looking, and can take away from our happiness if we let then. I owe it to others to look for the things that are good and happy and really lean into the joy, big and small..

25 comments:

  1. Oh, I hadn't heard that about Cheap Chick, and I'm so very sad to hear that. I so enjoyed her blog, and her conversation in the comments, for the past years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her stories of Buddy, her time with her family, and travel were so bright. We really do have a terrific blogger community.

      Delete
  2. Sam, thank you for this post. It is truly a lovely tribute to Cheap Chick. She was such a positive and graceful person right up to the end. Your joys and pleasures are so thoughtful and a special homage to your family and Cheap Chick. My best to you, Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a person I wish I would have known in real life.

      Delete
  3. Very nice post. We could all do well to be reminded of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking about Cheap Chick the other day and was wondering how she was doing. She showed her courage and continued to live her life the best she could. I was sorry to hear of her passing.
    Regarding Halloween trick or treating, we had 44 kids, and I think we had the same experience that you had. They were all in costume, very polite, very patient and very kind. Many commented on our decorations and wished us a Happy Halloween. Everyone said thank you. Had a few gigglers which cracked me up and a couple of wee ones, a little ninja boy and an Elsa little girl that were so very cute and very polite. My husband also commented on the fact that everyone was so polite and well behaved. It was a good night although the temps are dropping and there was a bit of a nip on the edges of those winds, everyone seemed to be having fun. We had just a few bits of candy left, so success. There was also Trick or Treating in town in the afternoon at several retail shops. Now my favorite month is behind us for another year.
    Your blog helps us all remember, that despite some of the difficult moments that come our way, there are many things to be grateful for and an awareness not to take things for granted. Have a good week. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Celie shared, I had too just been thinking of her. I hope she has peace. This was a lovely Halloween-I think the appreciation of near normalcy was the key.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness Sam, I'm so sorry to hear about Cheap Chick. I kept checking her blog and of course there was no news. She was a brave lady and I hope her husband has tons of support to get him through this! I'm sure he does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She and her husband seemed well loved-and her mom she loved so much.

      Delete
  6. Baby James arriving on Sunday is my biggest joy, even with all the uncertainties. He was breathing well and fighting the doctors and nurses as they were poking and prodding him but I haven’t heard anything from mom and they haven’t updated their Facebook page since he was born. I’ll shoot her a message later, though I completely understand if she doesn’t even answer. Today is my daughter’s last day at Spirit and I’m happy that she made some money and had fun but she really pushed herself hard with all the hours and schoolwork and life so I’m glad it’s over. I put up my medium Christmas tree today, the one I decorate with Pittsburgh sports/black and gold ornaments but still have up some fall decor too. Supposed to get downright cold the next few days with lows in the 20’s. It will be our first hard frost of the season. My marigolds are still blooming so I will cover them up and spare them their lives. My dad lives up in the mountains and saw his first snowflakes this morning. He can keep them! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking of your new little guy and hope his doctors are able to do the great things doctors can do. It was very cold here yesterday.

      Delete
  7. I am so very sorry to hear about Cheap Chick! I loved reading her blog. She will be missed for her lovely personality, joy of life and continued positivity!
    Simple pleasures are to be treasured.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I'm appreciating my siblings-8th year anniversary of my sisters death.

      Delete
    2. I don't know if it gets any easier to lose a sibling with time, but I hope you continue to heal from your loss and have good memories to keep with you. Best, Celie

      Delete
  8. I was so sad to hear about CheapChick. I found her to be so gracious and kind.
    You are right, we need to be looking for everything good we can find in life.
    It sounds like you had a joyful week and I am very glad for you. I hope you daughter's recovery is much easier than she thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is doing really well and I'm glad for that. I hope my post was in the spirit of honoring our blogging friend.

      Delete
  9. I am sorry to hear about cheap chick, (I deleted my comment earlier because i misspelled her name)! her posts were lovely and i so hoped she would have more time with her husband and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her August post was so beautiful. I hope she had more days like that.

      Delete
  10. I am so sorry about Cheap Chick. She was so sure at one point she was beating cancer. Even though I kept checking, I was shocked she was gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I interpetted her words that she was no going t let her illness take away her joy of living.

      Delete
  11. So sad about CheapChick. She was a lovely lady. Wherever she is, may she be peaceful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely-with the ocean waves, and beautiful sunrise and sunsets.

      Delete
  12. I am so sorry to hear about Cheap Chick. I always enjoyed her posts and positivity in the face of battling cancer. Your list of joys sound like they were meaningful to you. Glad your daughter's oral work went well. I hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The words she shared after her illness were courageous, but filled with love for life. I don't want to take it for granted.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.