Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Day 8-Fudge!

      I've only recently been a convert to making fudge for Christmas. I have the two ingredient  recipes to thank for this. I knew I was on to something when my mother-in-law, who is a very good dessert and treat maker, contacted me after we brought her some of the peanut butter chocolate last year, to make for her friends. A little fudge goes a long way-it is so rich and decadent, so giving away a little plate with 1/2 to a dozen pieces doesn't feel chintzy. Likely I'll make three batches and use for  neighbor and friend gifts along with their Christmas cards and some to share for get togethers. I still have cellophane bags bought in previous years, but I think I'll stop at the Dollar Tree for reinforcements. I take no credit for any of these recipes, but neither do I know where to give credit as the same things are all over the internet.

Peanut Butter

  • 1 jar (18 ounce) peanut butter, chucky or smooth)
  • 1 can vanilla frosting
Melt together and pour in a 8 by 8, or 5 by 9 pan, lined with parchment paper, chill to set

Chocolate Peanut Butter (tasted like Reeses)

  • 1 jar (18 ounce) peanut butter, chucky or smooth)
  • 1 can chocolate or chocolate fudge frosting
Melt together and pour in a 8 by 8, or 5 by 9 pan, lined with parchment paper, chill to set

Fudge: Straight Up

  • 3 Cups chocolate chips
  • 1 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
Melt chips, stir until smooth. Pour in SC milk, stir until smooth. Pour in a 8 by 8, or 5 by 9 pan, lined with parchment paper, chill to set

     If I'm feeling fancy, I might use smaller squares, and then reserve 1/3 of the peanut butter and 1/3 of the straight up fudge and make layered. I also think it might be fun to reserve part of the peanut butter and add chocolate chips on top before it sets, or add some shredded coconut to part of the fudge version. It just doesn't get easier. I'm sure there are better versions of fudge out there, but I had no complaints and a few requests for more. Call me lazy. 

14 comments:

  1. And at only 50 calories a square - what's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you do the math like I do? I really liked the PB Chocolate one.

      Delete
  2. I think I might try the equivalent of the fudge : straight up by using some dark chocolate candy bars with the sweetened condensed milk. I am the only one that likes dark chocolate but it can be a different taste when made into fudge. I will make one batch plain and may add some pecans to another batch. Thanks for the idea. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it turns out. I wonder if making with dark chocolate and sweetened condensed milk it ends up being a richer fudge. Well, technically chocolate chips, semi sweet, are dark chocolate so should taste similar.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I have ever had this fudge. I do the 1 8 oz cream cheese, 1 stick butter, tsp vanilla and a 2lb bag of powder sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm too lazy for that many ingredients. IS it a vanilla fudge then?

      Delete
  4. My friend Tammy is a premium fudge maker - she does over a dozen different kinds, with layers and all kinds of additions. My favourite is salted caramel, with sea salt sprinkled on top. So good. I cannot actually make any myself or I'll eat it all, ha ha! I do plan to buy fudge for gifts this year, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw those photos in her shop. That is so much work, but I'm glad you get to be a beneficiary for gift giving.

      Delete
  5. I want to make the fudge like my mother made for us when I was a child. It does not call for a thermometer, so it might be a challenge. I wish someone would give me a gift of fudge, but I don't know anyone who makes fudge...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why the two ingredient version called to me. Literally five minutes and quite frankly for the flavors, probably an adequate substitute for all the stirring and cooking. If course the frosting or sweetened condensed milk just has those other ingredients already there.

      Delete
  6. Homemade gifts are the best! I've just disapeared down a rabbit hole investigating "Cremy Frosting", I had no idea of its existence.
    I have a professional qualification in Patisserie & Confectionary and rarely make anything sweet! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not cooking at all, but does make and easy homemade gift. I didn't know that about you! You have so many talents.

      Delete
  7. My mother used to make fudge--the kind that is cooked and beaten until your arm wants to fall off. A lot of work, but a unique texture. It is similar to making maple sugar from syrup--the idea is to develop microcrystals, but it is also a lot of work, and I don't seem to have the knack for it.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom and Linda's perhaps made the same. I too remember my mom doing fudge a few times with double boiler for melting chocolate and all the stirring. Try this version just for fun. It was a pleasant surprise that it turned out so well.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.