Friday, January 7, 2022

Friday Free For All

      It is the end of the work week for those of us in a  Monday through Friday sort of grind. I know many of you  work weekends, or pick up additional work on the weekends, but I hope the fact that others might slow down a bit  on Saturday and Sunday means  you can experience a little of that slow down as well. Hah! You might be saying. I imagine many of you working retail are dealing with  people returning  gifts that weren't quite right often with no receipt, and many trying to slip things past you. Maybe restaurant work is slower as people try and belt tighten, but for those who are treating us to a nice meal not cooked in our own homes, I thank you and hope people are kind. DH was home a couple days-very bad cold, but not Covid. He says he's feeling better, but I've slept elsewhere so I can actually get rest. He's a tosser when he sleeps, both literally and figuratively , and it is worse when he's under the weather or recuperating from being under the weather. 

     As I am retooling the blog for 2022, I haven't arrived at a real Friday theme. Potentially, its sort of a  bring back of my Friday W's, but  scaled back. I'll use today as a free for all-both a recap of the past week as well as prep for the weekend ahead.

     I'll start with, what's been my go to help in the kitchen in the new year?  I honestly could not  plan and implement meals without the use of my slow cooker/crock pot. It's carried the heavy load three times this week and I benefitted from a past use.  It did the work while I went about my day not in the kitchen. I made a massive crock of pasta fagiole soup-enough for us for supper, DH for lunch, and a quart for both my daughters. I used it to cook two large frozen chicken breasts, then removed the chicken and made broth, then returned part of the chicken, plus more vegetables, then noodles for chicken tortellini soup. The other chicken breast will go in chicken, rice, broccoli, and cheese hotdish. I foresee this the winter of the slow cooker already. Oh and the other meal? I found a tub of pulled pork made earlier in the fall in the slow cooker, so essentially four meals, with gads of leftovers and shares.

     I've tucked into the warmth of my house these last few days with the sub zero temperatures, after of course, getting the furry beast out for his walk. What have I been watching while cozied up? Being a true Harry Potter fan, I enjoyed the visit to Hogwarts for the 20th  Anniversary of the first movie. I have an affinity for the books and movies as they were my children's childhoods and the ages evolved with my kids growing up. I've watched some organization and meal prep YouTube videos, and too much football. I'm really looking for a good movie recommendation or two for a good weekend to stay home. 

     Since last week, where I've been is to my sisters for NYE, a quick shopping trip, and drove my daughter to her doctors appointment. I got some provisions for DH and DD1, both feeling lousy, but not with Covid. Where I am going is not very exciting.  Later today I get my cortisone injection and then maybe you'll read about all kinds of adventures. I suspect where I've been and where I'm going will be light topic for the month of January. I've a list of projects to get done in the house, for work, and some fun outlets/ hobbies. I plan to tuck into books and magazines and do more purging. Maybe I'll be like the ground hog and poke my head out on February 2nd. I do have a few things on the calendar, but I'm not looking to fill the many blank hours in my planning calendar.  How about you? Do you find January is a month to just try and down shift your gears? Mentally I want to be stimulated, but at least as I write this, not feeling the need to be overly socialized. Give it another week and I might feel completely different once the cabin fever takes over. 

     With all this time working from home, working in my small former bedroom office, the scenery is getting dull. What I'm planning for one of the weekends is to get some color on the walls. Until then, I'm settling for some warm things that give me a visual distraction. I can dream of Paris again and I like the coffee bag which hides the electric panel, but the plain white walls, ugh. 


     The bottom of my computer says it is -23. That's Fahrenheit folks, -30 C. That's cold and I wish I didn't have to go out at all today, but I've waited so long for the shot in my knee I'll go.  What's on your mind as we close out the first full week of 2022? Comment on any of the above or anything else you want to talk about. It's Friday Free for All. 

21 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed that the cortisone shots are helpful. And, that is COLD! Stay warm.

    I have a list of "life" chores a mile long this week, but it's a weekend where nothing is time bound/urgent, which gives me the flex to tackle as much as I want, & leave the rest for another day. I enjoy those types of check lists, and keep a running list going. Top of the list is to stock the freezer with soups for lunches on busy work days. I've finished off all of the soup (thanks to some freezer organization & being able to actually find them), so now I need to replenish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than walking the dog, no plans to leave the house. Book Club is even Zoom. My last batch of chicken tortellini was so good. I know M won't eat but maybe something the boys would like. It was rich and creamy, but I helped the calorie count by using milk not cream, and a bit if corn starch, and extra veggies.

      Delete
  2. Since January is usually cold here, I usually plan to be away somewhere much warmer. But since I've had to stay home, I haven't noticed cabin fever because I'd rather be indoors than out when it's miserable outdoors. I am planning to visit my daughter next week when we're forecasted to have much nicer temps (near freezing).

    I could not imagine my life without my crockpot. I use it at least once a week in the winter, and a couple of times a month in the summer. It's so nice to put dinner in the pot in the morning and not have to think about it for the rest of the day. I tried an Instapot but never got the hang of it so I sold it.

    I love the shot of the Eiffel tower. Have fun decorating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep popping around realtor sites for glimpses of warmer weather places. It never got above -5 yesterday, interesting though other than my exposed cheeks, I wasn't cold walking the dog. I must be getting my Minnesota second layer.

      Delete
  3. On my mind is the absolute state of our NHS. 24 hour waits for an ambulance in my area, staff doing the work of 2 or 3 people, decimated by 10 years of austerity and then covid. I fear there are big changes coming, and not for the better in the long term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not sustainable obviously and until decision makers are impacted, they don't care. But they won't be; they'll have private access. Think if out ashat Tedd Cruz who when his states heating infrastructure collapsed and people were freezing to death in their own homes, he took his family ( with original intent to stay until he was caught) then had the fail to block basic infrastructure legislation!

      Delete
  4. I hate January. We got our first snowfall last night, about three inches worth. The roads are terrible and the windchill is 0. Work is dull, the returns have died down but people aren’t shopping. We have inventory this weekend so we haven’t been getting freight and the store is rather empty. I’ve been there nonstop with one manager out quarantined and another on bereavement, not the light start I was hoping to come back to after Covid. My stomach is still shredded but my taste and smell occasionally makes a comeback. I’m not exaggerating when I say I’ve lost 15 lbs so far. Dinners have been sporadic so my grocery budget is light. No ones been that hungry and our energy levels reflect that. I did go to kohl’s to use up some kohl’s cash and Sam’s club for a few items last night. Possibly will grab lunch or breakfast with my mom squad next week if I’m not tied to work so much. Hope your cortisone shot helps you, and you can keep your -23 degrees up north please and thank you! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I could use the 15 pound weight loss but that's not the way. That impacts your energy for sure. Im sorry so much is on you. Even with working from home, we've had people out sick enough from Covid or other things that they can't work and try and get healthy- worse than colds, but fortunately not needing medical care. I hope things get better. I too hate January.

      Delete
  5. That is cold!
    I'm glad you've got your cortisone injections, Jon's are two years overdue as the NHS struggles to cope. He's top of the list apparently.
    What a clever way to hide that panel, I love a coffee bag. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my delay after May. I could have gotten appointments once double vaccinated. I hope Jon can soon. Like me, I'm sure he's hindered to do all the activity he would like without suffering later. My daughter knew I wanted one. I might buy a couple the next time I'm in a roaster shop that resells them cheap. I think they'd make good cushion covers for the camp fire bench.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I hope people are kind to the restaurant and retail employees. Sometimes I get irritated when the wait is longer than usual and I remember the employee shortage and try to distract myself. I don’t want to make it harder on them than it already is.

    Bailey watched the new Hogwarts movie and said it was really good.

    Brrrrr...it’s cold up there. My Dad texted me and said it was 13 below for the wind chill in Chicago. It’s 21 here which is cold enough for me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at eating out now as a rare treat and if the food is good, happy to wait. Same with long lines in stores. I'm just shifting my expectations. We need to be thinking changes. Maybe once DH retires and all opens and we can travel again to my comfort level, we'll get away and the cold will just be a novelty again.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad your DH and DD managed to avoid covid - although there does seem to be a really nasty bug going round anyway doesn't there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bug seems to be cough and achy. Both have eaten less a day or two, but have appetites back by the third day.

      Delete
  8. I feel for you and remember those horribly cold temperatures. How you would go outside and your nostrils would freeze shut. Don't miss them that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bare cheeks and eyes no matter how you bundle. It's usually even colder where my daughter's school is. She said her eyelashes froze walking from her on campus apartment to her first classes- just about 4 blocks away.

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed the Harry Potter special, it was lovely to hear some of the behind the scenes stories. I can't even imagine that temperature! Is that usual in winter for where you live?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit like a family reunion. I liked hearing the young man that played Malfoy talk about the adults. I also liked that it seemed the producers really tried to make sure the kids were still able to be kids.

      Delete
  10. It is 31F here, cold enough to stay in. Mostly, the fact the roads could be icy keeps me in, plus it is dark outside right now. I do love my crock pot. It is so good for beans. I am an avid fan of cooking bags, though! I have cooked so many meals using the bags and the crockpot. Yesterday, I cooked 12 pieces of chicken, thighs and bscb, in the oven in a bag. I am a fan of anything I don't have to stand over and tend. I need a cortisone shot in my knee and one in my spine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely use the bags in the crockpot, but oven bags are nice to chuck it all in and bake.31 is cold, just not - degree cold, and ice can be lurking below freezing where unsuspecting.

      Delete
  11. Patience above! That is too cold for my bones!
    today Sunday we hit 70F it was nice.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.