Wednesday, January 5, 2022

My Wednesday Pantry Continues

      I'll be keeping Wednesday as a food day post, sharing recipes of new to me or favorites from recent weeks. This will be my challenge day to do better food photos. I'm a rubbish photographer but I'll sure try. Three dishes stood out this week as perhaps worthy to share. They're all economical and two are vegetarian The third could be with the use of meatless sausage. 

Our Thursday night dinner was part request, part use it up and it made leftovers for Friday lunch.


Homemade macaroni and
cheese with Spinach Egg bake 

Mac and Cheese  

8 ounce cooked elbow macaroni, set aside 

     Make a roux with 2 TBLS melted butter and 1 of flour, gradually whisk in two cups milk, salt and hefty amounts of pepper. I also added a heaping tsp if both garlic and onion powder. As it thickens a bit, add 2-3 ounces  cream cheese and a cup if cubed our grated cheddar. Mix all to melted, add macaroni, then dump in a greased baking pan. Top with bread crumbs and bake at 350 for at least 30 minutes.

Egg bake- I had frozen spinach and three lingering eggs. I added two more to have enough to fill the pie plate 

     Scramble the eggs, add 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup sour cream, whisk more to combine. Add thawed frozen spinach, I probably had 1/4 of a 12 ounce bag of chopped left, and about 1/2 cup cheddar. Bake in a sprayed pie plate   at 350 for about 45 minute's until eggs are set. You could add any cooked vegetables you like to bulk this out, but then might want to reduce the milk a bit to counter liquid.

Sausage Gravy...over biscuits

     Sunday morning was cold and brisk. I had a list if stuff to get done after being lazy for two days so decided a large brunch was in order. I had bought two pounds of sausage last month when Aldi had it for $2.39. Half went into sausage gravy. Now normally I'd buy one of those country gravy mixes, but Sunday I used this Best Sausage Gravy recipe, but a 1/2 batch. Note, I still used all the seasoning of the full batch. It was as easy as a packet and much creamier.  I will admit, I just used Aldi grands biscuits. They're delicious and only 95 cents for 8 massive ones. I made a few sausage biscuits for grab and go mornings with the rest of the sausage and biscuits. There's also more gravy but I might stir into a pasta dish or use for baked potato toppings.

Very beige but very delicious. I ad
a couple clementine's as well. 

      I had mine with a perfect over easy egg, with perfect oozy yolk. I was set for the afternoon, fueled with carbs, fat, and protein to carry out my list. I anticipate that we'll eat may meals that are easy, economical, and yield leftovers for my lunch. Ill make sure to have vegetables and fruit on the side if they are lacking. It's not so much a change in how we eat, but more of a giving in to ease. Sometimes I'll feel like making a complicated meal, but if I'm going to cut our  many processed ingredients like canned soups, I'll trade off for simple and humble meals more frequently. Let me know if you have a favorite mac and cheese or sausage gravy recipe. 

17 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! My husband doesn't eat soup or egg based dishes (past breakfast), or carbs, so there are a lot of limitations. ;-) We're working hard to get Nick to broaden his palate, and have a few plans on that in the upcoming months.

    I definitely keep "fill in" items in the freezer, many of which are easily prepped: spring rolls, gyozos, naan, edamame, meatballs, wings (already cooked), baked chicken (already cooked). We cook from scratch for typically 4-5 dinners/week, but I always have the "fill in" items for other easier meals. It really helps us round out the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets hard cooking for my daughter as well since she is 100% plant based, but I'm learning to make "free from" versions. I've got chicken in the crock pot now to both tuck cooked back in the freezer, plus get a load of broth and soup made-both for now, and a freezer asset.

      Delete
  2. Yum, that all sounds very good, Sam. I especially like the sausage gravy and biscuits. Canned works for me too just depends on how I’m feeling and/or my energy level that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My humanmade biscuits are just very OK-nothing delicious so I'm happy to use the dough.

      Delete
  3. I was okay until I read "perfect oozy yolk."

    If I make anything in a casserole, it seems it is calorie laden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a runny yolk fan? You would not like my favorite brunch meal ever then, eggs benedict.

      Delete
  4. All sounds YUMMY! Definitely comfort food week. I love using up greens in quiche and it heats well in the nuke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spinach added to eggs, pasta dishes, pizza-you name it. It looks pretty, adds a pop of nutrition, and I love the taste.

      Delete
  5. Your mac and cheese recipe is almost identical to mine except I add in a bit of minced onion and use grated cheese rather than cream cheese. Egg bakes are a go-to around here as well, though I think I put spinach in mine my son would move out. LOL....hmmm. I generally use green or red pepper and onion.
    Now the one I've never had is sausage gravy. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cream cheese was a use it up. I overbought at Christmas-but I had grated cheese as well. I absolutely love sausage gravy and biscuits, but it is a rare treat.

      Delete
  6. Your mac and cheese looks lovely - now you've given me an idea for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making it extra creamy with the crisped bread crumbs and you will be in love! Not low fat. Not low carb.

      Delete
  7. Yum, now I am hungry ad I need to go eat something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Y'know, I have never made mac & cheese from scratch, nor have I ever made an egg bake! My mom hated cooking (she still does) and I grew up with the great British cooking style: overcooked roasts, and boiled everything, no spices. It's left me with a lingering apathy for cooking - I do mostly really basic stuff like soups and stirfrys.

    I would like a big serving of your mac & cheese right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the thing with egg bakes, is it basically can be whipped together with whatever you have on hand, bunged in a dish, and baked until done Really little cooking needed at all. British food can be delicious with seasoning-lots more seasoning. I imagine that's why curry take outs have become so popular in the UK as they're loaded with flavor.

      Delete
  9. sausage gravy seems to have been by a lot of people this past week. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many people bought surplus sausage for things like egg bakes, sausage balls etc. for the holidays. That was my impetus. I bought the standard Aldi roll sausage and it is so good and at around $250 per pound, it really goes far for flavor.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.