Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Positively Tuesday-Learning to Ignore Annoyance

     

     I'm miserable with a head cold and allergies, but thankful it's nothing worse. I feel lousy, but not as bad as last night when I just wanted to crawl in bed, but was getting texts from my boss and others for numbers I'd provided in multiple ways already as they had to get a proposal to "the" biggest boss's team. This happens every year, I know it'll happen, so getting frustrated would do me no good. Finally,  I was able to take a Benadryl  as something triggered sneezing fits, so this morning I have the post antihistamine hang over, but I'm no longer sneezing my fool head off. I've too much to do today to be proper sick. I'm forcing myself to put on some rose colored glasses and get on with my day.

      As I try and build a nice life for myself, it is increasingly obvious I let little annoyances  chip away at at my mental health which leads to poor physical health. I'll give you an example. DH was paying the bills last Friday morning and one of his pet peeves is when one bill or another is not available. He hates lingering home admin. I walked up the stairs and in a loud voice he bellows, "Damn XXX Electric didn't send the bill yet, again." He seemed overly mad about such a minor inconvenience, and I told him that, specifically, " you're acting like a spoiled privileged man if that is the worst of  your problems."  He of course got mad at me, which then led to me being bothered about how he sometimes seems to be turning into such a crotchety old man, and I was peeved. Why I just didn't turn and walk out of the room and ignore him, I don't know. I would have had a better mood, not develop a headache, and he would have got the stupid complaint out of his system. 

     I'm sure many of you have blogs you read and over time you find the content just isn't appealing or is down right annoying, yet there it still is in your feed so you read anyway? No? Maybe it's just me. There was a money blog I used to really like-helpful ideas and inspiration of how she and her spouse got out of debt and began to slowly build back up some reserves. Well her life changed dramatically, a divorce,  new way of living, and  gradually her blog posts just were not only not relevant to me, but quite frankly I was finding myself annoyed reading her posts that had a lot of TMI on her dating life. Was that her fault? No-her blog, her content, yet I was still reading hoping for the old content to come back and annoyed it wasn't. Same with a couple others, some Facebook groups, or individuals. I'd read stuff that was incoherent or nonsense and let it annoy me. I'm trying better to delete, unfollow, or just ignore. Why read content that I don't enjoy?

     There are too many things in life that need real emotional energy and letting minor annoyances snow ball not only drain that energy, they can impede creative thinking on solutions. Letting things that really are no big deal take away from the good things is a path to turning into the crotchety person I don't want to become! So here's to putting annoyances aside, and focusing on the good or the bright side of things this week.

  • My daughter made it safely back to school last Wednesday, in the cold temperatures and blowing snow.  The best call someone can get is that their loved ones arrive to their destination safely and without issue. 
  • Both DH and DD1 were sick, neither with Covid, and both are feeling much better. This is when I am so thankful for now being able to work from home and not getting the added exposure to people who historically would come to the work place not well, and invariably I would pick it up. It turns out, I got it too but at least I stayed home.
  • Very pleased with the efficiency at the doctors appointment for my knee. Fingers crossed I'll get some relief.
  • Book Club was Saturday morning and while I'd have loved a good meet up in person, I'll take Zoom, delicious coffee, and my cozy chaise in the living room. It was such a good meet up, we kept chatting for another 40 minutes. 
  • Don't hate on me, but I got my annual Love Actually viewing in when it was streaming, albeit with commercials, on Amazon Prime. We have the DVD somewhere but  I couldn't be bothered to figure it out.
  • My older daughter had a health alarm sound off, but appears to be nothing to worry about. I was ecstatic to get her message yesterday.
  • Did I mention I was miserable? DH still needed to eat and I guess I did too. I took advantage of pantry lurkers, an already cooked chicken breast, and frozen veg and concocted a one baking dish dinner. It was comforting and little clean up. Yes, used a lot of convenience items, but that's what they're there for.
     I won't spend today in bed, but I will crawl to bed early again as soon as work is done. Menu be damned, but I think the plan is just frozen meatballs left from Christmas. Just the thing when the cook shouldn't be cooking. Rest is what my body craves.I hope you're staying well.




35 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better soon! I too deal with a husband making negative comments sometimes. Everyone deals with crap in their own way, I just wish it was internal and not spoken out loud! A bad mood does rub off on others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I can get cranky too, but he's loud cranky and I'm,leave me alone cranky.

      Delete
  2. Hope you are feeling better. There are a few blogs I see that ...shall we say, regularly irritate me due to the way they mock other people & their perspectives. Guess what I could easily stop doing? Not read them. I almost always avoid, & when I do click in, I'm annoyed. #shocking. It's like I know the outcome, so why do I intentionally irritate myself?

    I try really hard to avoid irritants, yet sometimes, when my resistance is down, or I"m otherwise frustrated...

    Yesterday, I had a sore throat & didn't feel great. I took a COVID test, & was negative (hurrah), but in that time, I'd worked myself up & then snacked on a treat while waiting the 20 minutes for the results. Another way I frustrated myself. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I was caught and called out being catty last year in a comment, I really try to not critique what others write, but yet I still may read. Not sure why ai do that. I'm waiting for saliva test results and so is my daughter.

      Delete
  3. So sorry you're sick! I feel fine but lazy and I have work to do. I've always liked my job but the state keeps giving us more to do and I'm getting tired of it- no raises for at least 6 years either. Omicron is all over and still they want us to make home visits unless the house is under quarantine. Sunday I went to one home, they let me in and I signed the log and then I got a call from the manager that they were under quarantine because someone had been exposed. Thankfully- no real Omicron and I was only inside a couple of minutes but why did they let me in?? I had called the night before to make sure there was no covid! Enough- I'm glad your daughter is safely back. GS had a much shorter break but the band is pretty demanding with practices. He likes it but as he told me, most of the members are music majors and he is not. I made a big pot of soup Sunday and then yesterday, I had a couple of pinto bean tortillas so plenty of food here. I'm trying to not shop either although I bought some necessities for a friend and a cookbook with a gift card from my sister. I have got to quit buying cookbooks- it's become an addition and now I see where Skinny Taste who I love has a new one. NO!!!!!! Have a good workday. Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine your risk now and the stupidity of people knowingly putting you at risk. Covid, flu, chicken pox- ridiculous that people don't think beyond their nose. My daughter's campus had a lot of positive cases. She is waiting like me for results.

      Delete
  4. So sorry that you aren't feeling well. Do hope you are able to get some rest and that you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I slept better last night. No benadryl. Throat is quite dry but not soar. I appreciate all the well wishes.

      Delete
  5. Take care of you first. I'm adjusting my blog list always that I read plus I'm about to update my sidebar. I e joy different perspectives but I have limited time ya know. By the same token lotsog folks don't read a post or comment I know it's not serving anyone else and I don't want to become just a diary of my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to spend time cleaning up my side bar. Mostly for blogs that have stopped posting. I'm trying to retool my blog this year to be more information/ topical and less journal.

      Delete
  6. Sorry you aren't feeling well. Makes everything more difficult to deal with, doesn't it? My dh annoys me all the time, LOL, I have just learned over the years to tune him out as much as that's possible. Sometimes he's in his den grumbling (loudly) about this or that suddenly isn't working on his computer. I've learned to just ignore him, as 99% of the time it's just being slow or a temporary thing or whatever it was went away soon after. I didn't need to go in there and try to help fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my grumbling in private! Yes, I fear I'll need to learn to tune out a lot once he's retired.

      Delete
  7. Wishing you a speedy recovery with whatever ails you. I know when I'm not feeling well, I tend to be less patient and the little things do bug me. And when I was working it didn't much either.
    Now that I'm retired, I'm much more relaxed. But that makes sense...I don't have the stress of getting up every morning to rush off to work and then to hurry home to make a meal, do some cleaning, etc.
    As for reading blogs - I tend to lurk for awhile, then follow, and if or when the material no appeals, I'll drop out. I know that's happened with my blog too - people who regularly followed don't anymore. No biggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not hurrying out the door, but I feel some days I'm never left work- technically I didn't.

      Delete
  8. I am sorry you are down, and so happy you heard from daughter. That is a real relief when they are traveling in bad weather. Go sip some tea and stay warm, that always helps me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the sneezing fits are done. Just the odd one. I fell better today-slept well, but waiting in Covid test. Poor girl is too, and I'd positive, she'll spend her 21st birthday quarantined.

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry you're feeling ill. Take care of yourself. Like you, all kinds of things annoy me when I'm not feeling my usual self. Make yourself a big mug of tea and do something that makes you happy, read books and blogs or a film. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my tolerance is lower when I'm not well Has been my blessing for a few days.

      Delete
  10. One thing that I *truly* dislike about remote work/learning is that if people are sick with something considered "mild," like a cold or migraine, there is still the expectation to make an appearance. If you are sick and feel you need to rest you should rest, even if your "office" or "classroom" is set up on the nightstand by your bed. I hope you feel up to snuff soon.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monday afternoon and evening I really needed to sleep, but I kept getting pinged. It's the nature of my job and time of year. One if my team was trying to work and clearly was unwell. I insisted she log off and not work.

      Delete
  11. Sorry you're not feeling well. Sure is a lot of that going around right now. Best thing to do is give your body the rest it needs to get better. Had to laugh about your dh becoming a crotchety old man. I'm beginning to think this happens to all men as they age. They seem to thrive on making themselves and others around them miserable. Good for you for taking the higher ground!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things he gets mad at are so stupid and nothing! He's also not a city driver and I hate riding out of town with him. But I'm perfect, right, lol.

      Delete
  12. Hope that you are feeling better soon. I did my second post almost? Covid contact now a full five days later and negative. Anxious even though I’ve been feeling fine. After my rant the other day I see starting 1/15 insurances will cover 8 test per month. Hopefully the supplies improve and those without insurance get access to free ones also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we can find 8 tests per month! There's likely to be the ongoing state mail order. Not perfect but something.

      Delete
  13. Since I am reading this a little later, I hope you took your body's need to heart and got some early sleep.
    I try hard to forgo little annoyances and also confess to reading some blogs that I find irritating at times. Why?
    Hope the morning finds you feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to bed fairly early and so far, seem less foggy today. It's nice to know, don't know why, others keep reading even if not liking a blog. Kind of the blog version of seeing a wreck and not being able to look away.

      Delete
  14. I am sorry you are not feeling well and your husband is becoming irritable. Believe it or not, Tommy has not uttered one cross or irritable word today. That is amazing. Maybe he will double up tomorrow. You seemed perplexed by my blog today, and I don't know why. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was foggy brained- reread and realized you were writing about a dream with the chair in it. Don't let me annoy you, 😊.

      Delete
  15. Hello Sam, Your husband could never survive the Taiwan phone company. They send their bills out the latest, and they are due the soonest. Often I get a bill the day it is due, or even after. This is problematic because 1) after the due date you have to go to the phone company in person to pay it, and 2) after a few days they cut off service without otherwise informing you. For many people (businesses, elderly, etc.) having service cut so abruptly could be disastrous. Also, you cannot pre-pay the company to create a cushion against such contingencies. (There is no charge to re-connect, however.)
    .
    Relax and get well soon,
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I won't even get started about him in foreign countries and having to understand things being done differently! That system sounds awful to everyone

      Delete
    2. This may seem odd and maybe you can’t do it there but can you send too much money, like a double payment plus and then you’ll have a credit with your monthly usage/bill and then sent that in each month kind of always having that cushion?

      Delete
    3. Sorry I did not read well and you can’t do a cushion!!!

      Delete
  16. Sorry you're not feeling well. My hubby gets crotchety too, but he's a little better now that he's one week into his retirement. Still, driving with him is the worst. lol. Glad you can still look on the bright side of things. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving! Is everyone else always in the wrong? Good luck to Chris on his retirement.

      Delete
  17. With the new blogger things don't update, but then I caught my eye in my reader that you updated! I'm so very glad to read your here with us and I hope everything is still going ok.

    Regards,
    Online Thesis Help

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.