Monday, May 2, 2022

Money Monday-Month End Recap and Goals

     


     The calendar says we're 1/3 done with 2022. It's moving faster than I can keep up so this morning I'm intentionally slowing to recap any progress towards our money goals in April and new focus for May.

April:

  • Transfered max to Roth IRA from our money market. We hope the market shifts and that will prove a smart move.
  • Held quarterly money meeting, saw the precarious details of our assorted retirement accounts, but aren't dwelling on the downturn 
  • I converted 40 hours of vacation time I'll lose to my 401k. The payroll problem is still not resolved but hopefully this week.
  • Put some towards cash savings, but continue to be behind target. This isn't a concern as I know by October we'll make up ground.
  • DH finally got answers to an education fund we had for older kids and learned what we thought we had invested in was not the same as what we did. Essentially, these were not 529 plans, but non transferable Roth like accounts. So, I guess the older two have a small extra retirement account that will just keep growing, with luck.  
  • Helped daughter complete her tax return
Now a few May goals:
  • Get work issue on paycheck resolved
  • Plan for travel to Chicago and Spanish Consulate for daughter's Visa the end of June
  • Daughter to request and send transcript to get her scholarship frim my union payment for the 21-22 school year
  • Also daughter, get information on her Americorps grant to use fall semester so it is taxed for 2022 not next year when she'll likely be working full time by June thus taxed higher.
  • Update the summer budget
  • Set aside money for spring and summer gift giving- it's a lot this year!
      It's not a big action month on our part, but the goal is to save where we can. With each month that goes by, we're closer to whatever date becomes retirement. I don't want to dwell on that to the end of not enjoying now though. I'm looking forward to a good summer.


10 comments:

  1. That looks like a great list of things to complete! I need to work on my May goals as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May isn't much in my list, but steady stuff.

      Delete
  2. That is great your employer will let you transfer you unused vacation. I wish ours did that. Ours is use it or lose it, basically. My side job company cashes out any used vacation days at the end of the year for each employee. If you were already maxing out your 401k contributions do they let you have it as cash?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This actually has to count towards the max, so not getting in cash. However, I suppose it has a similar benefit as I'll now set aside 40 hours of pay less and will be paid that as I'll hit the cap earlier.

      Delete
  3. It must be hard to watch your retirement savings when the stock market wobbles but I understand the trick is not to wobble yourself, right? Easier said than done sometimes but I guess it always goes back up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why we only formally look quarterly. The daily fluctuation would be mind numbing.

      Delete
  4. Good goals, these. I hope your summer is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, but May seems to want to start with rain.

      Delete
  5. Isn't it crazy to think it's already May? Time passes too quickly. All the more reason to slow down and enjoy each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hard to slow down, but it is important to not ignore each day.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.