Sunday, May 1, 2022

It's Gonna Be May Menu

     


Happy May Day you all! Shall I do a weather report to see if we really might soon be getting those
May flowers I used to know about?


Cloudy with occasional rain during the afternoon. Thunder possible. High around 55F. Winds E at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

     I guess we'll start May with rain as well. This isn't a weather post but my attempt
 to recap and plan meals for the week ahead. First, I'll confess yesterday was not as busy a day as intended.I managed to complete all laundry and a little tidying, but was happy there was stuff to feed him for leftover meals. My head throbbed and the best I could manage was to get to a dull ache until I finally took something and laid down mid afternoon. I don't often take a Saturday nap, but it must have been what I needed as I felt better later. Well, there's still today to get stuff done, but first meals. Here's what the plan was last week and what we had:
  • Sunday:  Pasta fagiole soup with sandwiches crescent rolls
  • Monday: Butternut squash ravioli in a butter spinach and garlic sauce, and haloumi
  • Tuesday: Taco Tuesday, rice, and beans Tuna hotdish
  • Wednesday: Cottage pie or maybe chili Adoba Chicken, rice, beans
  • Thursday: Chicken bacon ranch wraps, potato salad and hamburgers which DH made
  • Friday: Homemade baked macaroni, spinach, and cheese Meatballs and gravy and baked potatoes
  • Saturday: Maybe go out or Freezer Finds, and lingering leftovers from the week.
    This was the chicken adobo meal topped
    with cheese, salsa and light sour cream. 
     This week we've got the college kid back so need both meals friendly to her and us, but also for intentional reheat and eat lunches.
  • Sunday: Marinated and grilled chicken, roasted potatoes, yellow peppers and onions
  • Monday: Cottage Pie( possibly using leftover chicken or possibly meatballs cut in half) but now college kid requested, you guessed it, curry. Maybe I'll do both with intent for lunches
  • Tuesday: Taco Tuesday with fixings, skipped last week when I tried the chicken dish
  • Wednesday: After my successful sauce last week, I thought I'd make a twist and have Spinach artichoke fettuccine or rather spaghetti because that's what pasta I could buy ( a favorite my daughter got at Applebee's before they took off the menu)
  • Thursday: Sweet potato, chickpea, rice, mushroom and pepper hippie bowls, with chicken strips option
  • Friday: Pizza, likely Papa Murphys
  • Saturday: Chicken stir fry, rice and egg rolls (last from April but from neighbor)
     We'll need a few odds and end groceries like milk and juice but we need to eat up all the fresh veg and fruit I have on hand, plus my freezer and fridge are bursting.  We started off well with eating fresh stuff and didn't finish well. I'll add favorite foods of hers to my light list if she really is craving something, but I don't think I'll do a massive restock at all this month, just needs and any loss leaders. Though, last week wasn't supposed to be massive and I still spent nearly $100 plus two stops by DH.

      This whole plan is just suggestions really, but something in print at least gives me an option where I can draw from. It will be interesting to see how much our grocery budget increases, and not just with higher prices but as we're back to three people. I cut my goal budget between, January and April for all household, by 10% and really was more like 12% below target. If I can keep to the paper budget, I'll be happy with summer spending. I want us all fed with healthy and good stuff.

17 comments:

  1. Our weather is just like yours, but 10 degrees warmer. It’s thundering a bit outside already, not normal for 9:00 am. I have half a rotisserie chicken in the fridge that I’ll probably make chicken pot pie with today. I’m hoping to get to Aldis to get some basics-eggs, coffee, chicken, cheese. Busy week ahead (aren’t they all?) Monday I might just make hamburger helper. My daughter loves the cheeseburger mac but I add tons of fresh spinach, sour cream instead of milk, lots of garlic and extra cheddar cheese. It’s delicious. Tuesday, maybe chicken Alfredo? I need something to have leftovers for Wednesday. My dad has an eye exam at 1:30 and doesn’t like driving when they dilate his eyes so I’ll spend the day with him and likely won’t be home til evening. Thursday daughter is going to some movie with her boyfriend right after school so just three of us for dinner. Maybe steakums? Friday is prom and I know it’ll be hectic. Probably get dominos for lunch since we have a free pizza reward. I should make a soup since we have some cooler temps mixed in this week. I’m not in love with this on the fly menu but it’s a start. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The school year end is close so I can imagine how busy you'll be. That's what the occasional take out is for.

      Delete
  2. We have a bunch of prepped food in the freezer, so we will start there, and attempt to eat some of that. M is grilling chicken today, as the weather looks beautiful. He will grill 3-4 lbs, giving us lots of leftovers, as well as chicken for the freezer that can be either used up in other dishes, or served as is another night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have to think ahead for a week all the time. Good luck.

      Delete
  3. You’ve given me several ideas to help me with my menus, Sam. The chicken adobe looks really good. I’m going to have to get some groceries this week as we are running low on some things. Like you, we tend to start out with the fresh produce well, but don’t always finish well. I need to work on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, though I used to little salt. Opposite problem last night with grill ed chicken.

      Delete
  4. I cooked meats one day to have enough to eat all week and to freeze some of it. Today, I will do a vegetable bake and then add salads to meals all week. This works out really well for us. Our weather was dry for over a week and now it will be wet for at least a week. I just want it hot and dry! Oh, and sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather has been perfect here. We are supposed to have two or three days of rain this coming week. So many need rain I can't complain.
    Your meals sound really good Sam. Wishing you a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're good for rain now- all weekend. You're welcome to ours.

      Delete
  6. Our weather is pretty much like yours. Temperature in the 50's and scattered rain showers. Your meal plan looks good. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your menu looks good SAM. I actually made a menu plan for this coming week instead of flying by the seat of my pants the last couple weeks due to the craziness of our schedules. I need to do a quick trip to the store tomorrow for milk, bananas, salad stuff, buns, etc. but am trying to eat down my freezer and pantry as both seem to be full and I am getting a 1/4 of a pig either this week or next for the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just read yet another article on the value of healthy eating. It looks more and more saving money on food is not worth it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like having a plan, whether I stick with it or not. At least it keeps what I have on hand in the forefront of my mind rather than just winging it and possibly running to the store needlessly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I look at it. It's a good base to draw from.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.