Wednesday, June 1, 2022

My Wednesday Pantry-Sandwiches

      What's not to love about a good morning out at the farmer's market, a community garden, a pick your own, followed by a delicious meal made with your bounty? I always think of a good rustic sandwich loaded with goodness as something that would be served at a little bistro, cut in diagonals, maybe served with a side if fresh fruit and perhaps kettle chips. It's still too early,  with our long winter and overly chilly and wet spring, for local produce but I'm gearing up for it. I've subbed what was available for a few recent meals, and they were delicious. I'm thinking about how much better they'll be in another month. 

Turkey-Bacon-Avacado-Tomato 

This was so good for both Saturdays lunch and Mondays supper. As I had no ripe avocados, I used guacamole instead, and I'm hooked. I tend to buy turkey bacon. The kicker though was making it on sour dough bread, toasted. Not a great picture, but here it was 

Hummus- Cheese-Cucumber-Tomato 

This is my go to lunch when we have tomato and cucumber. Generally I eat it on multigrain or wheat bread. My favorite hummus is red pepper in this sandwich, but any kind will work. Grinding course black pepper and just a bit of salt over the vegetables is my preference.

Vegetable guacamole wraps 

I took advantage of leftover sliced vegetables, leftover mixed bagged salad,the remaining guacamole, a little grated cheese, and a couple lingering tortillas to make these cool, refreshing wraps. This was lunch the other day, served with tortilla chips and the fresh salsa from the refrigerator case. This is an old picture, but same kind of wrap.


Grilled ham, turkey, cheese, and tomato melt

     My daughter and I had sort of a pickings type dinner last night but knew DH would be famished after work. I used the last of the sliced ham and deli turkey, odds and ends of Colby and cheddar cheese, the last of some grape tomatoes, and the last tortilla and made him a grilled sandwich that was oozing with cheese, but juicy from the tomatoes. 

      Nothing is really a recipe, but maybe a bit beyond a basic cold cut or tuna sandwich. I get bored with the same old meals and come summer, there's fresh food more readily accessible. If you and yours are sandwich fiends like we are, the combinations are endless.






16 comments:

  1. I love a good sandwich or a plate of various bits. I am really looking forward to summer fresh food. I plan to eat my weight in delicious BLT's as soon as the tomatoes are ripe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh tomatoes are so delicious. I'll be right with you.

      Delete
  2. Great sandwiches. I've enjoyed one with cheddar cheese, roasted red peppers (jarred) & lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never think to buy roasted red peppers but that's now on my list. In a grilled sandwich they would be delicious.

      Delete
  3. We rarely have bread around the house, as the kids aren't big sandwich people, and M doesn't eat it due to Keto. However, sourdough bread is my favorite, & I love a good hummus/veggie sandwich! You are making me want to go out to buy a loaf of bread :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to like unwiches with lettuce leaves but I'd rather reduce carbs elsewhere and have a sandwich.

      Delete
  4. Tony is an absolute bread fiend and would thoroughly enjoy each and every one of those sandwiches Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a sandwich or just the fixings on a plate without the bread. Tommy hates avocado, so I never buy one or make guacamole. He is not crazy about hummus! I am going to make hummus since I finally bought tahini. I think I will get an avocado since you inspired me. He never wants a sandwich for dinner and never wants vegetables for lunch!

    A peanut butter, Miracle Whip and banana sandwich was my breakfast this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandwich fixings are good salads, but you need a good bread, wrap, bun etc. To truly get a sandwich.

      Delete
  6. I love a sandwich for dinner. Last night it was egg salad and I also made deviled eggs. I love bacon, lettuce, tomato, and avocado sand. It is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll be making egg salad this week too. I love it

      Delete
  7. I adore sandwiches, especially a fresh tomato sandwich with Mayo. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You can join Lori and me in our feast of tomato.

      Delete
  8. I grabbed the last rotisserie chicken at Sam’s yesterday and shredded every last bit of chicken off of it. My son and I had wraps with the chicken, leftover corn on the cob from Memorial Day, salsa, sour cream, sharp cheddar and shredded lettuce. Delicious. Daughter made chicken nachos. I like sandwiches but we rarely have bread in the house so they aren’t on my radar. Might be good for summer. My son started coming home on his lunch break and he could quickly make himself something. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful wrap! I would like a Sam's closer and we'd eat more if those chickens.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.