Saturday, June 18, 2022

My Week in W's for Mid June


It's Saturday and now the half way  month of the year is halfway done. Tomorrows Father's Day in the US so happiest of days to all of you, your partners, your own fathers, and special memories for those dad's no longer with us. I've renewed m Weekly W's b recapping the week on Saturday. Here we go. 

What’s top of my mind: 

Today would have been my dad's 96th birthday. It doesn't seem like a full decade has gone since we lost him, but I know so much in life has changed. My parents would have 9 more great grand children and six additional grand children in laws. My kids have moved cross country and cross oceans and back. My parents also lost a daughter, and three son-in-laws in the last decade, that came to join them. It's sad to know in another 10 years, the family will likely lose more people, but with that, will be other positive additions in our lives. 

Where I've been: 

After so many places last week, Vingo, concerts, a work planning day, this week has been not much of anywhere. Except...an awful dentist appointment. I've never had a cavity, but apparently despite getting to the dentist twice before after they reopened, I developed major decay in one of my wisdom teeth.   


   

Where I’m going:

Tomorrow afternoon I'll help my daughter with her final cleaning to ensure she gets her full deposit back. I hope to get to the Farmer market in the morning, but really I need to clean my house. Sunday we will go to the lake. I'm helping my MIL prepare for out of town guests arriving on Tuesday. 

What I’m watching:

 I thoroughly enjoyed Free Guy on Disney Plus. Other watching was a couple episodes of Call the Midwife and Community.     

What I’m reading:

A Theater for Dreamers is still slow read for me, but I have to get m book club book read this weekend. I need to go in to the library account and renew everything-I've been slow on a few other items as well. I don't know why I'm not engrossed in the book-normally, I'd have a summer read done in a weekend, but I find myself bored after 30 minutes. Others have said how much they enjoyed it, so I want to keep pushing on. Maybe I'm just not feeling anything for people getting to uproot themselves and try a new life on for size.   

What I’m listening to:

When I've been for walks, I hear the ducks sometimes in the pond. I don't think I've seen signs of babies. We've ad a few clear days and I've really heard planes overhead. It's nice to hear kids out all day again with school being over, but the screaming kid still has his moments. And, the mom's were back parked in their chairs n the street again! They were at least farther over, but I just do not get why they don't put their chairs in their yard or driveway. 

What I’m eating:

 I know it had to do with being at the dentist two times in a week, but my blood pressure was sky high for me. High for anyone really. If wanting to lose weight for my knee wasn't enough, now losing weight and eating better for my heart is essential. I made a big batch of curry-loaded with vegetables. I'm adding spinach wherever I think it might taste good, and loading up on fruit and vegetables and trying to limit salt like I do with DH. I get a little flourishy with the salt shaker on my own plate, but skipped it since Wednesday. Yes, things are bland but I'll get used to it, right?

Who needs a good slap:

I might get slap happy this week. There just doesn't seem to be a reprieve from my work load and two more things piled on top this week. One, we are doing a recap of a grant program, and going back to about 35 different grantees and requiring them to submit more documentation of their  spending-retroactively. They're going to love me housing them to resubmit details three or more months after the fact. The person that previously was approving apparently looked at nothing and just clicked approve, approve. She is no longer with us, and there is not enough time to hire someone new, so in the  vein of "you're so organized and good with fiscal details" they put this additional task on me. Slaps to them all. In my review of current payment requests, I'm seeing the most ridiculous outside of the scope of funding I've seen before. Did you know a person could work 35 hours in a single day? How about a week solid of days that were 20-22 hours? If they are going to  exaggerate their billings, you'd think there was common sense enough to at least stay in what is possible. Slap, slap and more slaps.

What I’m planning:

 I have printer ink to change so my daughter can get her final forms done. She has several errands to do this morning before her consulate appointment including getting a money order, a self addressed trackable postage paid envelope, and passport photos for the visa application. We'll get the bags ready Wednesday night, but I want to be on the road by 6:30 Thursday morning, getting us to our hotel and checked in before 3:00 including rest stops. I'm packing  sandwiches, water, and other munching to avoid fast food  on the road. Neither of us will be able to  ride that long with gross feelings in our bellies. Her new job was so good about not even blinking for needing these days off.     

What’s making me smile:

 My dear Spo-I read your posts every day and I'm frustrated that I have issues with Word Press to comment. I saw this week you were thinking of taking this W off the weekly recap. I hope you don't and are able to find things to make you smile. I always have pup antics that make me laugh. I also can't comment in Scarlet's posts, but it seems congratulations in her new grandchild are in order. Such special handmade items now have purpose. 

Here's another. My daughter was booking her air fare for fall before things really get out of control. She has two stops-just a quick flight to Chicago, then a long one to Spain, then a short, to her final destination city. She could pick the Chicago seat for no fee. Here it turns out her friend booked the same seat. Well, I guess they will be sitting in each others lap. My daughter changed hers just in case there was a glitch and she ended up with no seat at all!     

   That's the week in my life in W's. Play along if you'd like or comment on any of my W's. 

15 comments:

  1. Ironically my mother was born on June 18, 1927. She died too young of a massive stroke in 2011 so just 74. She was a very good mother and I don’t think any of the 6 of us kids would disagree. My youngest child starts her adventure tomorrow- moving from Atlanta to 6 weeks in London and then relocation to Palo Alto, California. Of course she tells me there is a transit strike in London but it’s only supposed to last a week. I haven’t read your book yet but I’m putting it on my list- I just finished book number 75. Have a great weekend- not much planned here but a few visits to group homes. I still wear my mask when out and about- not even a sniffle here since ‘Before Covid.’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Palo Alto is lovely, & quite near where we live. Hope she enjoys the move!

      Delete
    2. They love the city but the ‘breadwinner’ works in Santa Clara so too far to commute. They left San Fran for Atlanta 2 years ago when telecommuting but they really never cared much for it. My daughter is a SAHM- son-in-law is doing very well. He majored in math and statistics and lots of opportunities. Nan

      Delete
    3. My husband's grandpa has same bday too- would be 111. I and my kids had pleasure vto know him, though youngest was just 2 when he passed away. I have a great photo of them together at the lake. Good luck with your daughters move

      Delete
  2. Sounds like work is stressful right now. I hope you catch a break soon. My father passed away years ago at 43 so Father's Day is difficult. He missed out on so much.
    I hope you have nice relaxing weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were so young when you lost your dad. I'm sorry.

      Delete
  3. Work is rocky on my side as well. It's no fun, and it's hard when the workload is not evenly carried.

    Top of mind: we dropped off the boys at the airport yesterday (they really didn't want M to come inside, but he got a gate pass, bought them dinner, & made sure they got safely on the flight with all of their belongings.) They are now enjoying the time with my parents.

    For Father's Day, my boys are with my parents, & M & I are alone, so we're doing an overnight trip to Carmel, which we are both really excited about. We have Monday off of work, for Juneteenth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your trip sounds so lovely and your boys will love grandparents time. Work, just keeps giving nonsense. It's exhausting and is going to be worse before it can get better.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to slap those who do not fill out paper work correctly. How wrong. I am sorry your tummy is bothering you. Youa re such a good mom. I miss my mom and dad, my mom will be gone 4 years on the 19th of this month. SHe would have been 89 this last birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grief pops up from no where but so do good memories.

      Delete
  6. I am impressed that you have never had a cavity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this first one apparently was good for a lifetime. It took a long time for drilling and cleaning. My no cavities streak is done.

      Delete
  7. I am doing 'rounds' this Sunday evening. I thank you for the shout-out. I promise not to drop the last W. I will think of you when I write the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you as having a smile that cheers people. I'm glad you'll keep the smile W going.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.