Thrift and frugality, when used for building dreams, is much easier to swallow. We have big dreams in my family. I think some of my melancholy has been experiencing the gap between trying so hard to make good money choices and the dreams becoming reality. My son wants his own place and to purchase into his own equipment to get more job and earning opportunities. My middle child is chasing the home ownership dream. Not to leave college kid out, she's dreaming Spain, a closer to fruition dream, graduation, and then launching somewhere new at least for a bit. Of course for DH and I, retirement and travel is our dream. All these things are nearly within reach.
That's why Thrifty Thursday is taking on real meaning to me. I've been talking with my girls a lot about what they want now, or what they want most, budgeting for priorities.They hold me in check too. Each dollar saved individually, collectively, purchases thought about just a bit more, gets each of us closer. Here's our small, but mighty list of thrift.
- Gas was 70¢ more in Illinois and than Wisconsin. We made a good decision to top off the tank when we realized this, but then timed the full fill over the border in Wisconsin on the way back. This probably saved a good $6-$7.
- We managed to only eat out three times over our two days gone, and tried to make healthier choices. DH and DD1 ate meals at home.
- My daughter bought her friends new backpacks for their wedding gift, getting their choice, below her budget. I thought it was a great gift.
- My daughter picked strawberries and got loads at a good U-Pick price. We've been eating in them, froze some, she made a cake, and I made some jam using sugar I had already.
- Brought food we had at home to the lake. We'll need to restock our beverage supply but will do this weekend.
- Uploaded Fetch and played MS Rewards trivia.
- Passed on Trivia and went to a candidates forum after being invited by a friend. Motivation for November is free.
- Used up some General TSO sauce for a baked chicken recipe. It was a tasty, light version.