Sunday, July 24, 2022

Budget Friendly Meal Week

      The title might be misleading because food is in the rise. I guess more important to use quality ingredients, but in thrifty ways. Here was our meals last week. We had salads, sandwiches, and wraps or leftovers for lunches.

  • Sunday: Crockpot pasta with spinach and yellow summer squash
  • Monday: Chicken and veggie wraps, home made potato wedges 
  • Tuesday: Loaded nachos with homemade refried beans, and black bean and corn salsa 
  • Wednesday: Cheddar brats, tots, baked beans 
  • Thursday: Chicken rice hotdish, green beans
  • Friday: leftovers
  • Saturday: DH and I went out. 
     DH and I both have long to do lists and aren't going to the cabin today. I really don't know what the weather is supposed to be, but here's a list of options for the week ahead. 
  • Hamburgers and pasta salad
  • Sweet potato hippie Bowls
  • Fajita's
  • Chicken lo mein
  • Cheese Tortellini alfredo
  • Spaghetti and meatballs
  •  Chili with rice 
  • Chili dogs 
  • Big salads ( thanks Lori)
  • Another pasta salad
  • Tacos or taco salads
  • Turkey meatloaf
  • Mushroom gravy meatballs over mashed potatoes 
     Produce should start to come daily to roadside stands. I'm looking forward to side or main salads, and steamed or fresh veg on the side. We got some good stuff at the farmer's market. What's being made in your kitchen? I likely make too many pasta meals so thought this Bored panda meme was quite fitting. 



14 comments:

  1. I love pasta so that meme fits me perfectly too.
    I'm glad you are finding local veggies they are what makes summer for me.
    I've tried patty pan squash and enjoyed it but I haven't made it myself. I'm giving it a shot tonight for dinner. Wish me luck.
    Enjoy your Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any but Vix has shown pattypan in their meals. Iove summer squash!

      Delete
  2. Heh. Yesterday, I moved pretty much the entire pantry, leaving behind some pasta, relish and canned chicken for a pasta salad, and a box of Shake and Bake (why?) for a chicken dinner, along with some cartons of soup for lunches. Last night a kid was staring at the pantry shelves with his mouth hung open in shock. He'd never seen the shelves so bare. I told him to walk to the new place if he was hungry. We still have lots in the freezer/refrigerator, incuding: Pot stickers, pizza, sirloin patties, sirloin tip roasts, chicken breasts and whole chickens. This should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine his face! I don't even remember a single bare shelf after 31 years. I wish you the best. If I could help I would, so at least sending good vibes.

      Delete
    2. Meg - my kids would probably switch off between shock & crying. ;-) They are old enough to bike to the store, if they get really desperate. Sometimes they do, and it means my attempts to make them self sufficient are slowly working!

      Delete
    3. Our menu needs to use up a LOT of garden tomatoes this week. I'm also planning to bring as many as will fit into my carryon. My family will enjoy them, and we are feeding large groups in Bend, so it should work well.

      Delete
    4. That's funny because kids do depend on shelves full even if they don't want to eat what you serve.

      Delete
    5. If I could, I would have the same DNA, but I do control it since I have diabetes. Okay, sometimes I control my pasta eating. i m thawing woody chicken and will throw it in the trash! To go with the tomatoes I bought at the market, I bought bacon, lettuce, and bread. So, we will have blt sandwiches until the tomatoes are gone.

      Delete
    6. A glut of tomatoes would be welcome here. Those I know how to can.

      Delete
    7. Hawaii Planner: All kids here now drive, and were given a card on our account when they received their driver's licenses in case of emergencies, or, more commonly, an errand for me. This particular kid was in a state of "I-am-hungry-but-don't-want-to-cook-anything-from-the-freezer-or-drive-to-get-something." Perhaps it made him appreciate my meal-making/larder management over the years, but, honestly, this past week was one in which I felt like throwing in the towel with my brood. Maybe this week will be better.

      Delete
  3. your menus always sound good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, they rarely actually happen as planned.

      Delete
  4. I'm hoping to snaffle a Lidl veg box tomorrow morning - we're eating produce from the garden tonight! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leftovers to start the week off and then some things I had planned in recent weeks but never made like tuna noodle casserole, hamburger helper, tacos. Not quite as hot this week, as some storms are bringing a “cold” front through. I woke up to a tornado watch and several tstorm and flood warnings nearby and the lights were flickering as I was making a coffee but seems like the worst of it is north of us, which is just dandy with me. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.