Friday, July 22, 2022

A New W Category for the Week



 Happy Saturday! Life is ok for me, but I'm sending positive thoughts to a couple friends dealing with illness in  their family. Caring for elders is an emotional load. I know many of you are doing this as well, so my thoughts are for you too.  Here's my weekly recap in W's. 

What’s top of my mind: 

     I'm relearning things about home buying and home ownership. DH and I have become lazy home owners. Our list is a mile long in not just home aesthetic improvements, but real needs. There's also things like rechecking smoke detectors, CO2 detectors, and as our house is well past 30, and we spend so much time downstairs, radon tested. 

Where I've been: 

How's that to close a concert!

     DH, the girls and I went to the live music on the river community concert. It was well attended and the night was perfect. I saw an old mom friend who I've seen hardly at all since our girls graduated, so a really nice joy. I also went to an in person work meeting on Tuesday. I still hate afternoon traffic, but with two route options cut off due to road construction, I hate it even more. Last night the girls and I went to a nearby community theater production of rent. It was very good. DD2 knew a few cast members. 



Where I’m going:

     We think we may head to the cabin today, but depends on what weather report is and if we trust it. I don't think any to go and be inside. 

What I'm eating 

     Easy meals this past week. Most were salads or sandwich of some type, though I made a hotdish but baked in microwave with convection setting. It worked well enough. Popcorn has been a favorite treat. I brought some along to the concert. 

What I’m watching:

 I saw DH started Designated Survivor. That was fall 2020's binge but I never completed the series. Maybe I will. I've watched more Call the Midwife and am on episode 2 now if Grace on Britbox. There's only three episodes it seems, but each is like movie length. I was disappointed to learn Doug Henshall will leave Shetland. That was another Britbox favorite. The beautiful Scotland Island and the accents that require me to use closed caption, are mesmerizing. 

What I’m reading:

     I finished the Good Girls Guide bro Murder. I started another Elizabeth Ogilvie, Strawberries in the Sea. 

What I’m listening to:

    More work linked podcasts, more BBC World Service, just local radio in the car. I think I'll stream a book to have in before going to bed. Any recommendations? I need to give my eyes a break.

What I’m planning: 

     After being primed to plan a get away, I've been a bit froze. My daughter's Visa came, so now her departure feels real. Just under seven weeks to go. No word from our son if he'll get here before summers over. I've got flex time and vacation, so if he comes spur of the moment, I'll make it work. 

Who needs a good slap:

I'm giving myself a good slap for being dumb yesterday and taking my multivitamin with my Omeprazole. Suffice it to say, I made myself queasy for hours. It helped to eat a little toast an hour later. Rookie mistake, and I'm not a rookie. 

But....To Not be all negative...Who Needs a A Fist Bump, or as we say in our family going forward, Knuck's:

Thanks to Spo for adding a shout out kind of category to counter those that need a slap.  I'll call this from next week forward, Who Deserves some Knuck's: I'll give Knuck's to my boss who both made a food call to postpone an afternoon gathering due to heat, but then found indoor space for our leadership team to meet in person. To top it off, she brought decadent filled croissants from a bougie Minneapolis bakery.

What’s making me smile:

    Lots of things have been good. I love seeing some funny memes on aging folks enjoying life. As I wrote yesterday, I want to live independently until I die and these quick bits say, we got this. 


     That's my week. Life just is life. I had yesterday off starting at starting at 12:00 onwards. We got pup trimmed up with plenty of bribes to be a good boy, long overdue. I'm trying to get better at taking my days off, even if not always a full day. If you'd like to recap your week, feel free in the comments or a link to your blog post. 

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice week. I'm happy to hear you're taking more time off. It is so important. I enjoyed my Friday off.
    I have a master list of things around the house that need done monthly, quarterly, yearly otherwise we'd lose track.
    Have a great Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a couple things done yesterday I had been putting off. Today as well.

      Delete
  2. I quite liked Shetland too (and those lovely Scottish accents of course). I wondered where it went! And thank you for reminding me to check my smoke detector. I'm pretty sure it must be 10 years since I checked that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need updates to several batteries in things. As the house gets older it's easy to get things slip.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good week, Sam. Especially the play and music on the river. I use Omeprazole too, and take it at nighttime right before bedtime. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I never thought to take before bed. I think I'll change that up so I can take a multivitamin with some toast.

      Delete
  4. Meals were easy for us this week as well. Sam was working a lot (picked up two after care shifts at camp), Nick had tennis & they both had soccer. Nick worked last night, helping his tennis coach out. Our meals were a bit scrambled, but they worked.

    What made me smile this week? We decided to try out a newish bakery near us. I've been at another location before, & I'm a cookie lover. We had Sam drive, because it's enough of a drive that it's worth it, with all of the freeway exchanges. It was my first post COVID (testing negative, & feeling better) outing. The cookies were amazing, & made me happy, especially after a week of not really tasting much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bakery was a deserved treat. I'm glad they tested good and you had a driver. Your boys are so busy this summer, and work hard.

      Delete
  5. I worked in a first-time-homebuyers program and was shocked the people hired with me had never owned a home and knew nothing. At any rate, I learned lots from the other side of home ownership. I even got out of a speeding ticket after I explained to the cop where I worked and shared a brochure.

    We were shocked at things first-time-homebuyers were going to do. We had to practically threaten to not okay their loan if they did things. Okay, we actually did refuse to okay loans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you knew so much about home buying/ owning. It was a useful class for my daughter.

      Delete
  6. Moving, moving, and more moving before the movers come to move us for the move on Aug. 3. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really right around the corner now. Good luck with your final efforts. How many kids are at home? Will this be your forever home, barring the life unexpected events?

      Delete
    2. Four at home, youngest will be a h.s. senior. The plan is that this will be our forever home, but as I age, I feel the call to head back to the northeast closer to extended family, (man, if THAT isn't a siren's call) or return to the Sunshine State, due to, well the sun. I'd also like to see what I could do to turn it blue.

      Delete
  7. You get a Knuck for doing this !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if we're going to slap people, you're right to want to give someone a fist pump.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.