Sunday, July 31, 2022

Meal Plan for Summer

     


     The slightly cooler weather, meaning not melting hot, gave me slightly more ambition for meals. It's also nice having company in the kitchen time to time, but the girls schedules vary. Here's what passed for meals the past week.

  • Sunday: Chicken strips, pasta salad, leftover cheese fries
  • Monday: Hippy bowls
  • Tuesday: Spaghetti with summer veg, garlic toast 
  • Wednesday: Two bean chili over rice with tortilla chips
  • Thursday: Tuna hotdish with cheese and peas
  • Friday: Cheddarwurst with tots
  • Saturday: veggie fried rice 
     Barely anything was from my possible list I made last week but that's ok. I didn't resort to take out, eating out, or a lot of convenience foods.  Meals out and take out has been busting our food budget, compounded by higher food prices in general, but you're all facing Do he same. What about the week ahead? Again, I'll just put possibilities down. 
 
Hamburgers or patty melts
Homemade pizza
Cottage pie
Sweet and sour meatballs with rice
Chicken tortellini Alfredo
Pork loin and roasted potatoes
Pulled pork sandwiches and salad
Chicken bacon ranch wraps

     Assume there will be some sort of pasta salad as a side. We love our pasta salads in Minnesota, lol. Also, sides will be whatever additional vegetables like sweet corn, summer squashes, green beans and tomatoes are picked up at farmers market or farm stands. A friendly aquaintence posted that her in laws sweet corn is ready, and it's some of the best. This year I will not let sweet corn season go under utilized. I want a big bag frozen for fall chowder. 

      I'm not keen to grocery shop today as we're heading out late morning to the horse track. I'd either need to go right away this morning or tonight. There's got to be something to cobble together for tonight. I stopped at Kwik Trip last night after the community theater plat DD2 and I attended, so now have topped up with milk, almond milk, bananas, and bread, plus donuts. No shame and I will enjoy with my coffee. No one will go hungry but the longer I delay the more these options will be changed. I'm cool with that. What's on your menu?



16 comments:

  1. For the middle child, I made spaghetti, hamburgers, and hot dogs with corn on the cob, from the farmer’s market this weekend. I always make a side of sautéed organic spinach because that is the one green he will eat. Ice cream always for dessert for him. I made fresh tomato sandwiches, again, from the farmer’s market, for me! I bought a watermelon from a farmer on the side of the road selling from his truck. That is pretty common in rural areas where I live. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have more pop up stands. The tomato sandwich would work for me too.

      Delete
  2. I'm just planning the week's menu now, I also want to do some batch cooking for the freezer. I say planning....it's more a list of meals that we could have, rather than a hard and fast day to day thing. Depends on what we're doing, the weather and how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm obviously a list maker too. I think I've already rethought tonight.

      Delete
  3. I just had a turkey, bacon, lettuce, basil and tomato sandwich for brunch and it was delicious. Enjoy your Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need everything but bread, but then I'll do BLTs. Delicious.

      Delete
  4. Mindme asking what cheddarwurst is? I did some decent prep for the week today, so we are mostly bound to some form of the plan this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a name brand, but it's a bratwurst with cheddar cheese inside. Better with Cheddar is another brand.

      Delete
  5. No menu planning for us - we'll see what's in the Lidl veg box and make it up as we go along! Tonight it's kolokithokefedes (Greek-style courgette and Feta fritters) with salad. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get paralysis when dinner time comes and then any resolve to eating well goes aside. Even if I deviate based on interest, fresh veg availability, I at least have possibilities though of. If I lived by myself, I'd not plan much.

      Delete
  6. Stuffed mushrooms, meatloaf, leftover chicken, leftover pork loin, pan of squash/zucchini/onion, butternut squash, carrots, potatoes, salads. Apples, bananas, grapes, and strawberries are fruits here at the moment. And, there are Wheat Thins and three or four kinds of cheese. Tommy has saltines and peanut butter. It is all here, so no need to buy anything for these meals. We will get out three or four packages of frozen chicken to have one day, cooked with onion and garlic and probably the carrots and potatoes.

    What goes in your tuna hotdish with cheese? Of course, I will put green beans instead of peas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mushrooms so stuffed would be delicious. My tuna hotdish is cream of mushroom soup/ my own white sauce now instead usually, mayo, milk,cheese, lots of pepper and of course a can of tuna. I use just one because with cheese and peas it has plenty of protein and tastes less fishy. If I bake, I top with bread crumbs. Yes, use whatever veg appeals to you.

      Delete

      Delete
  7. I made a big curry, which we'll have some of today, then I'll freeze the rest. Tomorrow I'm expecting delivery of a free trial of meal ingredients from a subscription company. I have no intention of continuing as it's too expensive ( I've already cancelledit), but it's 4 meals of 2 portion size for free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always curious to try the meal service. Right, very expensive though. I made a curry but nothing will get frozen as the girls will eat for a couple days.

      Delete
    2. Or make that one day! DD2 devoured two helpings for her lunch. No complaints as she's a tiny thing and it's all healthy stuff. She was under the weather food wise a few days so nice to see her hungry.

      Delete
  8. oh for a popsicle! whenever did I last have one?

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.