Sunday, July 10, 2022

Waste Not Want Not Menu Planning

   


    Last week I had more food waste than I should have. I found bits of things in jars, Tupperware, and hiding in fridge drawers that needed to be pitched. Besides throwing money away, it's not right to waste food when so many struggle. I always try and do better so both meals last and this week hopefully maximize every bit.

  • Sunday- hotdogs, pasta salad, watermelon 
  • Monday- Sweet potato hippy bowls 
  • Tuesday- Vegetable fajitas 
  • Wednesday- Bolognese over farfalle pasta 
  • Thursday- Papa Murphy's 
  • Friday- rice, meatballs or spicy rice cakes ( vegan Trader Joe's)
  • Saturday - beef or black bean burgers, pearl couscous salad 


     I didn't buy much for groceries, mostly produce at the farmer's market and Kwik Trip, so basing meals on what I know needs to be eaten. Remember these are mostly suggestions and could vary a lot.

  • Sunday- Au gratin potatoes with ham, tomato and cucumber salad (I'm making a batch of vegan curry and rice too for the girls to eat if DH and I do end up at cabin)
  • Monday- Goulash 
  • Tuesday- Loaded nachos with black beans, rice, and tomatoes
  • Wednesday- homemade chicken tenders and pasta salad with cheese and peas. We seem to be eating this salad twice a month.
  • Thursday-Hot Hoagie sandwiches with loose interpretation of this Street corn salad
  • Friday- Crockpot pasta with zucchini and onions 
  • Saturday- Sweet and sour meatballs and stir fry vegetables over rice 

     I've got  to get a batch of blueberry muffins to go in the oven this morning. These are just a mix but I want to try Lori's Jordan Marsh version. We've been munching on popcorn made from the microwave popper. It's a nice salty crunchy snack and much better for me than my potato chip wants. I'm going to make more hummus as the last batch went fast and can nibble with veggies or chips and also as part of a sandwich. Lunches will be leftovers, but also tuna and egg salad for sandwiches or just with crackers, and any fruit that needs eating. I'm trying to get all our meals a bit lighter, more veggie based. Maybe I'll find new things as more produce comes. How are you cooking in July?

14 comments:

  1. I’m headed for Aldi- I like to get there when they open. Last week I cooked a whole chicken in my Dutch oven on the stove and got several meals- soup and chicken salad. I want to eat less meat but can’t give it up entirely yet. I also made hummus and had with red peppers and cucumbers. I often cook popcorn on the stove- I have a microwave popper but I prefer it popped with a bit of ghee or coconut oil. I buy gourmet corn from Amazon so it’s nice and crisp and usually hulless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the shout out Sam. That recipe for muffins is really a good one.
    Your menu sounds good. We also are trying to keep it light even though one-night last week the big guy requested beef chili. I usually don't make that in the summer but I guess a craving is a craving.
    Today I'm grilling a whole chicken. That will give me a lot of meat to work with over the next two or three days.
    Enjoy your Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made chili a couple weeks ago and it was devoured, even though it was hot. The girls wanted spicy and hot curry. I want salad!

      Delete
  3. Oops forgot to add my name. Just got back from Aldi- spent $51 so not too bad. I’m going to be dog sitting the next 2 weeks since local Dd and family are going to Yosemite- Grandson’s HS graduation gift. I’m not thrilled about it- I hate to sleep with animals and these 2 sleep with you or cry all night. Believe me I’ve tried to shut the door and it doesn’t work. Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pup rarely wants to sleep in our bed in hot weather, but funds my couch. It used to be a no him even being in the living room, but he's won the war.

      Delete
  4. It’s going to be an easy week for me. Oldest is in the Outer Banks, so one less person to feed. I work today, so leftovers or FFY. Off tomorrow but I have a full day of lounging in the lake planned so quick and easy dinner. Maybe hamburger helper? DD loves the stuff. Long day for me Tuesday, trying to wrap up the Back to School floor set at work before I’m off for a few days. Youngest leaves for Philadelphia Wednesday morning. They will do some exploring and see The Weeknd in concert, over two years after they bought the original tickets! They’ll be back some time Friday. DH and I took PTO for those days as well and our plans are still up in the air but I know we’ll be doing something somewhere that’s not here :) JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, back to school always starts in July now. It sounds exhausting. The outer banks sounds like a good trip.

      Delete
  5. We are eating and freezing meat a lot. Once we get it all cooked, usually in one afternoon or evening, it gets easier for Tommy to get food. We eat well, usually all leftovers. And, Tommy gets on salad jags, so we never suffer from what we are going to cook every night. He has discovered wraps, so enjoys loading them up with what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your menu sounds good! We're all about grilling this week. M grilled spicy chicken sausages on Friday, chicken yesterday & is making burgers today. Grilled chicken with Persian rice is Nick's favorite meal, so we had that, as he's headed to a residential tennis camp today.

    I try to work on the food waste, and typically do well, but it's a bit of a yin & yang between having enough for leftovers & meals, & not tossing any. It's hard to predict the exact amount everyone will want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're always smart to plan extra meals around your grilling. What kind of spicy chicken sausages do you buy?

      Delete
  7. I always enjoy reading your menus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of dull, but I hope the corn salad is a win. No cilantro though in mine.

      Delete
  8. I want to come eat with you. Menus look delicious. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.