Sunday, August 7, 2022

Avoiding Restaurants Meal Plan

     

     It was not technically a challenge but I steered clear of restaurants, take out, bakeries, and coffee shops for six straight days. Now, I can't say that for DH and DD2. My older daughter makes most of her own food, and as she's in saving mode, I think she skipped pricey meals out too. DH had his semi regular outing with his retired friend on Thursday and the youngest was out and about with friends. She's on a road trip now, so it's inevitable she'll eat restaurant meals. I can't limit DH, so just will focus on myself and dinner time avoiding unnecessary calories, salt, large portions, and cost. Here was our meals. 

  • Sunday- Curry, FFY( DH and I were still full from food at the track)
  • Monday- Fried Rice 
  • Tuesday - Red Lentil Sloppy Joes, DH chicken strips, tator tots
  • Wednesday - Hamburgers and potato wedges 
  • Thursday - Chicken Patties on buns
  • Friday- Grilled cheese 
  • Saturday-Chicken strips, stuffing, potatoes 
     I realized we had a lot of sandwich type meals. I guess that's what I was craving. I've spent a small fortune on food this month already so really need to plan. I'm not sure how hungry we'll be tonight after living it up with complimentary ball park fair, so going simple. The rest of the week may look like this.

  • Sunday- Frozen pizza or FFY
  • Monday- Orange chicken, rice and broccoli 
  • Tuesday - Chicken Tortellini Alfredo with spinach
  • Wednesday- Crockpot pizza hotdish 
  • Thursday - Cottage pie
  • Friday- mushroom Ravioli and roasted vegetables
  • Saturday- Chili Dogs  with Mac and cheese
     DD2 and friend will be back sometime on Tuesday so I thought a big crock of tortellini Alfredo would hit the spot on their tummy's and wallet. Her friend then has another hour plus drive home. Next Sunday we're celebrating birthdays at the cabin and I have a pork loin to bring, but also will do a pasta salad, fruit, and desert. I'm not sure if we'll go for the weekend or just the day but our older daughter will be there with a friend. 

As I'm trying to avoid anything other than a top off shop for another two weeks, I brainstormed additional meals with what's on hand. 
  • Bacon, cheese, and spinach quiche
  • Chili with rice
  • Turkey meatloaf with red potatoes 
  • Spaghetti Bolognese
  • Meatballs and gravy with long grain and wild rice
  • Meatball marinara subs and coleslaw
  • Homemade pizza
  • Sausage, apple cheddar, meatballs with au gratin potatoes 
  • Tuna noodle hotdish with peas
  • Sweet and sour meatballs with rice (I plan to use some of my blueberry jam for the sweet)
     If I even remotely stay on plan, I can rein the Augusta shopping budget a bit. Plus, these yield large quantities, so it means plenty of affordable lunches too. They'll be some variations, no doubt but this ensures fresh produce is used and variety. If anyone in the house would like a change, they'd be welcome to take over. How are you handling August? Are you doing all the cooking or getting some help? Is anyone else trying to curb the restaurant and take out meals?



21 comments:

  1. We only eat out once or twice a month. We're pretty picky about what we eat so only have a few favorite places that we'll go. Luckily the big guy is the same and actually even pickier than I am. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be my preference as well. I guess I have personally only eaten out twice in July. We've grabbed Chipotle and Jimmy John's. It's DH with the bad habit.

      Delete
  2. I got so used to NOT eating out during covid that it's pretty much stuck with me. That being said, eating in a restaurant is now such a treat so it's a win-win all round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fewer times to me means more enjoyment. I like most of my meals better. His parents are out a lot so I think it's what he's normed.

      Delete
  3. We haven't gotten even a take-out meal in ages. I am the only one who cooks in this house. Tommy gets his own lunch and pretty much gets a wrap or a salad and knows what is in the refrigerator, so takes care of himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the cooking and prepping things like onions, peppers so he just chooses and takes it out of the refrigerator. He chops nothing. He does peel potatoes and carrots for me to cook.

      Delete
    2. Not even a burger? You're doing well to prep and be ready for any meal.

      Delete
  4. We are back from vacation, and definitely ate out more than usual (several lunches, plus a dinner to celebrate my nephew's 20th). I did talk my mom into a lunch at the house we rented in Bend. She has a very strong association with eating out for lunches, in particular, on vacation. We had so much food, and it felt like such a waste. So, we made a delicious caprese salad, and opened a fancy bottle of wine & ate out on the deck & chatted. It was fabulous!

    We ate plenty of meals at the house as well: baked potato bar, lasagna, taco/nacho bar, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the kind of lunch I really like. Good food and fresh air. I hope your vacation was fabulous. I will read your post this morning.

      Delete
  5. I would love to do less eating out or take out, but TheHub really does like it. I can compensate for the twice weekly dining/take out prices by making inexpensive meals during the week. This is one reason we have veggie based meals on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your husband's schedule, I can see he'd like to treat you. I agree though, we can make simple and delicious meals for minimal cost at home.

      Delete
  6. We are definitely not getting take out or delivery as much as earlier this year. We did get Chinese take out week before last and with leftovers, ate 3 days from our order. Hadn't had any for a long time and it was a nice treat. Our meals consisted of BLT's, spaghetti with garlic/cheese bread, and pasta salad that we ate from 2 nights and with watermelon and a handful of fresh cherries. Rest of the week was leftovers. What's funny is I woke up with allergies flared and not feeling all that great (not the funny part) and had a light breakfast and was just thinking how a PB&J would taste. No brioche but still sounds good with a glass of milk. Got a chuckle when I saw the description up top. Thanks for some meal ideas. As summer starts to wane, I'm looking forward to more hot pasta meals vs cold pasta salads and leaning towards the comfort food category but I see we have a few more 90's coming up so maybe not quite yet. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With fresh veg here, nothing tastes better than salads and sandwiches, in my opinion. I thought the post was funny, but other than ob in toast or ham on my bagel, I've not had a pbj. We were just saying the other day, it's been ages since getting Chinese take out.

      Delete
  7. Good for you! Eating out is $$ high calorie and lacks portion control. Alas, it is quick and delicious. Worse luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too convenient for DH! He's the complainer if the visa bill when it comes.

      Delete
  8. I do all the cooking. Trying to find easy recipes. Work starts back for me in a week and the kids go back to school in a week and half. Will admit that we got Wendy's the other night after Rebecca and Jacob had a music practice. It is what it is and Im not beating myself up about it. I am over hot humid weather and looking forward to fall when I can make pasta bakes, chilis, etc. Now we've been eating lots of sandwich type meals--- chicken sandwiches, deli meat, hamburgers, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got so much in your plate-literally so much to do. Giving yourself a break was surely needed.

      Delete
  9. We eat out maybe once or twice a month and it's nothing fancy, but it's not fast food either. We went out for breakfast at a nice local place and sat outside Saturday morning. It was lovely, but with tip, it was $28. I thought of all the eggs, croissants, and potatoes we could buy for $28 as I was leaving. It made me want to cry, but at the same time, I enjoyed the dining out experience very much. We eat pretty frugally most of the time and have a big lunch and no dinner, just a snack at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very drawn to brunch, but yes, food can be made, particularly breakfast food, for pennies in the dollar. The last two weeks has been particularly hard on our wallet. I see a September challenge coming.

      Delete
  10. We usually only eat out every other Tuesday with errands and appts. But we caught ourselves a couple weeks ago eating out or bringing take out home (easy when Hubby is hauling and driving right by the restaurant). I decided to prep a few quick meals to break that even if I have to cook it in the morning and reheat due to how busy the day is. Mother and Pop ate out daily but at the Senior citizen hall for $5 each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, I Iove breaks from cooking or thinking about meals, but my body pays for too many calories and salt.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.