Friday, September 9, 2022

Free for All Friday- Last of Summer?

      It's been a hot couple days, well past 80 and sticky. My son was greeted with a 100° in LA, and my daughter near the same in Spain. For us in Minnesota, we're supposed to see drops to the 60's/ low 70's for the weekend starting today. Is summer done? I think we'll get a few more days yet of heat so not rushing to call it fall. 


     Speaking of DD2. I can say she safely arrived, but based on limited and times of messages, it sounds like going through customs and immigration was a lot. Her message at 7:30 was they were at the final destination city and she didn't sleep much on plane. I didn't hear again until 1:30 saying finally, but very late, they got through customs. Of course I don't know if that 6 hour gap was all customs, a combination of customs, her program check-in, getting to her host family, etc.but exhaustion oozed from just a few words in a text. They were planning to have dinner and go to bed. She may sleep for 16 hours! 

     My other daughter has a friend coming for the weekend. It'll be her first time hosting guests in her place. If it is cool, it'll fit their plans to hike and explore. We found a hiking trail near her. I'm curious to see if it's a good walk. She's still getting produce. She found a massive cucumber hiding amongst tomatoes. It's been funny how the cucumbers have popped up. 

     My task this weekend is to wash bedding and get the spare and my daughter's room ready for returns. I'm also scrounging for jars and want to get a batch of jalapeno pepper jelly made. My daughter may have more peppers but I'll start with the 16 or so I have now. It'll be a nice, home focused Saturday. 


Finally, I too was saddened to hear the Queen passed away. Of course it can't be said it was a surprise. I know nothing of her but news clips and movie and short television series so likely nothing at all.  But if even half portrayed was accurate, I think she did her expected duty with grace, despite upholding antiquated expectations. I remember some of her smiles during clips of the Jubilee. I hope that is how her final moments were. 

     Feel free to share anything you'd like in the comments. Weather reports, weekend plans, or royal memories and anything else is welcome. 

14 comments:

  1. It was 54 degrees here this morning and it feels so good. I opened all the windows and aired the house out a bit. I'm sure we have a few more summer days though.
    Enjoy your Friday Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fresh air is so nice. I'm glad my son had the feel of that in the mornings and evenings, but the warmth of the day. He got the five best full days of summer!

      Delete
  2. My coworkers in London have strong reactions to the passing of the queen, and I know it's very much the end of an era, so sad to hear of her passing.

    Traveling, and then dealing with customs after a long flight is absolutely no fun of any kind. Glad your daughter made it!

    For the weekend - four soccer games (both boys are subbing for another team), four reffing games (Nick), volunteer tennis lessons (Nick), his own tennis lessons x3 (Nick), driving lessons (Sam). Otherwise, I'm hoping to get in a fitness class, and catch up on life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get fall sports schedules from nieces and nephews. Maybe not four games in a weekend, but I miss that. I thought the new Kings speech was touching.

      Delete
  3. It was 62 this morning but will be in the high nineties later today. So happy daughter got to Spain safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's settled in now it seems. That's a nice morning temperature.

      Delete
  4. Glad your daughter got somewhat settled in. Now I hope she has a wonderful time.
    I was sad to hear about Queen Elizabeth also. It will be interesting to see how Charles reigns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a couple quick messages and a silly video. She's doing well so far.

      Delete
  5. My guess would be that if your daughter is on a visa they will have held her up longer at customs than a regular tourist, but six hours still seems really long to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sux hours was the time between her saying she arrived at final city and when she next messaged that they were at their home, planning to go to bed after dinner. What all happened between I don't know yet, but eluded to customs taking a long time.

      Delete
  6. I know your daughter is enjoying her house. It is understandable not to show the front of her house, but maybe some pictures of the millwork in the house--baseboards, door facing, window frames and such. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if she has interest, as it's her home. Even photos of rooms inside could identify since it's a recent sale and images linger. Safety first.

      Delete
  7. I did a whole weekend of bedding. I would pay someone to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a big task- especially if you have high quality that needs special care. Our stuff is wash and go, but still work.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.