Thursday, September 8, 2022

Thrifty Thursday-Now My Frugalness Needs to Kickin

     


     Ouch and double ouch. Meals out and extra few tanks of gas, beer, hard liquor, mixes, extra food for lake. Shopping with and for my daughter. There we're several doctor appointment copays and prescription regills. It all adds up. Our Visa cycle is through the 10th, and it's going to be obscene. I don't care because it's been too long since having my family together. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for my daughter to study abroad and my last start of school. The bills will be what they are and I don't care. It makes me think we need a family travel week budget though, worked into our overall budget. It's nice to just pick up food and drinks and just enjoy the time and not think money, yet there could be a pain point. Better to just plan for it. 

     It made me wonder if we had any thrifty wins. There were a few I can scrape up.

  • Used multiple red peppers, currently $1.42, from my daughter's garden for fajitas at the lake. While by this meal we only had 9 people to feed, Chipotle would be over $75. Likely the whole meal with all the options, was likely no more than $20. With 5 young adults that love Chipotle, this meal was a hit. 
  • Pickles we're very popular! Our cousin made two versions as well and we had a pickle "off", all declared delicious. Hers didn't use mustard seed, and she made one with white and one with apple cider vinegar. 
  • Used 20¢ off gas card for all fill ups. I gave the card to my daughter as she uses that station more and I should be set for a while as I'm done with airport runs.
  • I think my daughter found a creative, but affordable, gift for her host family. She put together a " taste of Minnesota" with local candy, hot cocoa mixes, and wild rice. She was not sure what to get so we did a lot of googling for ideas. If nothing else, the hosts can use the food to feed their lodgers. I found a wine bottle bag that wasn't alcohol themed and it worked perfectly to hold the items, and fit better in her backpack than other sized gift bags. 
  • Trying to make use of assorted leftovers. We ate interestingly the last day and 1/2, but still ate well. Assorted cooked meats were put in freezer bags and left in lake freezer for someone to use their next visit, including ribs, brats, and pork chops. I think these were mostly my BIL's family food.
  • I ended August hitting another minimal Adsense payout. That will come later in the month, but nice to know funds will be replenished a touch. 
  • My daughter's last meal home request was budget friendly chickpea masala. She ate for her breakfast on route to airport too. I had a hearty portion to freeze so that gives me two future lunches. 
  • I bought baby and birthday cards at the Dollar Tree for 50¢ each.
     Starting September 11, I'm challenging myself to reduce the remaining 2/3 of our budgetary grocery month by 25%. That means a $200 remaining monthly budget. I want to keep going with all October, so that would mean a $300 monthly challenge. These are challenges lumped together as #1. More needs to happen, like tackling DH's new fast food compulsion. My son gave him an earful on this. Any thrift in your homes?

8 comments:

  1. Your daughters host gift was very creative and so appropriate. I'm sure they'll love it. I hope you can get your DH to stop the fast food. It's so unhealthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He never was this bad. The last few years has taken him from the occasional take out sandwich or taco to being his norm. I need to convert him back.

      Delete
  2. How fun a pickle off! I think that is such a cute family idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very spur of the moment when we realized there were three varieties to try.

      Delete
  3. Here's hoping your son's discussion with his dad helped - fast food is both expensive & unhealthy. We get it sparingly, even with teens. I did, however, order tons of Dominos pizza this weekend, so I'm no shining example. I didn't eat it myself, at least! I don't have the metabolism of a teen boy, sadly. ;-)

    Our trip to Hawaii (anniversary trip with M) just hit the credit card for the flights & hotel. It's a big hit at once. A few modest wins. Adjusted my parents flight here (at their request) & saved $60. Decided not to go to Nick's soccer tournament (M will go instead). Cutting it down from 3 to 2 people saves a lot on flights, as it's over Halloween weekend, in Las Vegas. Whomever though that Halloween weekend in Las Vegas was a good time for an U18 soccer tournament was.... making some interesting decisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely have it- four weeks ago a small burger and fries at Wendy's made me feel awful the rest of the day. I bet in Las Vegas that will be a chaos weekend.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes you just need to slam that credit card down and try not to listen to it groaning!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.