Thursday, September 15, 2022

Thrifty Thursday- Day To Day

      I had a whole post typed, but fat fingers typing on a phone hit the wrong button and lost it all. Sigh! There's not a ton of thrift going on other than being careful with out spending. We had unusual activity on our credit card, ( unless DH or I secretly did pay for a dating site) so stopped it, got a couple purchases cancelled, and a new one comes Friday. Cash or debit for three days? Will we survive? Here's a little day to day economy in my life.

  • Installed free WhatsApp so can do voice and video calls with our daughter, as long as we have WiFi. 
  • Free entertainment was streaming service viewing, sports, and our own stash of beverages. We had a family gathering on Sunday, but after the busy labor day weekend, neither of us were bothered with both a Friday and Saturday night at home
  • Maximized leftovers as best I could, using up items in sort of new ways like cooked spaghetti for lo mein, and the last of DH's BBQ ribs for a hearty sandwich
  • My daughter brought more produce and I added a red pepper and grated carrots to pasta sauce made with her first misfit harvest

  • DH and I both stopped at T-Mobile for the Tuesday perk, a head lamp. He was given two, so we have three new ones. These come in handy when it gets dark early. We can bring one or two to make to keep there. 
  • Bought large bottle of liquid hand soap at DT to fill bottles instead of replacing. There was some still in bottle, and I used a shampoo bottle pump to just use the same bottle as another dispenser. It fit perfectly. 

  • I was getting low on coffee and took a risk and grabbed this brick of espresso style. I have to say, it was delicious. Strong and rich, just how I like my coffee. I'll buy again for choice not just convenience. 
  • Until we get a permanent solution for the toilet, we've shut on and off the water at the valve. This is temporary as a bother, but since it's a low flow flush, it only has to be turned on to fill the tank every other use to have enough to flush. I'm still appalled at what the meter guy said our water use, no waste, was at in number of gallons. 
  • Combined errands so only had to drive once since Friday. 
  • I've looked at thrifty ways to help manage my health and get more exercise. That might be dumb of course since our health is our best asset, but what I do must be realistic to accomplish. More on this below. 
         My daughter left a couple different sets of hand weights. I've added in use of the slightly heavier ones for a frugal increase to getting more strength exercise. I've looked at the cost to rejoin the Y which has a pool, or either of the 24 hour gyms. I ruled all out as honestly, I know I wouldn't use enough to justify the cost. But, I can do more walking and the weights at home.

      I called the local hotel and for $5 a time or $20 a month, can access the pool. I might try that in October a couple times a month to see if I like it and can get enough exercise in to make it worthwhile. If I use just once a week, it'll still be half or less than half the 24 hour gym with no pool. The Ys on the other side of town so time and gas inconvenience in addition to cost. I'm also trying to get at least one stretch yoga period a day, usually not time for more than 10 minutes, and a 20 minute or more yoga video, twice a week. I'm due today for one. 

     That's all I got this week. Supper will be a simple pizza using last of the homemade sauce on a flatbread, topped with odds and ends. It'll be delicious. The table near us at last night's trivia had pizza and it smelled so good. How did you do this week? Any wins?

10 comments:

  1. On the fitness side, another option to consider might be whether you have a work desk that can convert to standing? My office provides that as an option, and many newer style desks come that way. It's been the number one change I've made to reduce back pain. It's also slightly healthier to stand vs sit, but the back pain alone makes me keep going.

    When I quit my job & lose access to the free fitness classes, I'll likely join the Y. I've priced out a few other options, and they have the best mix of classes. Ours is reasonably close, which makes a difference, of course. The hotel pool option sounds like it would be great to try out.

    We've done a good job on the food side this week. With M out of town, we've been way scrappier with meals, & used up a bunch of stuff. That means eating down the fridge/freezer, and a smaller shopping bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a sit stand desk, and I try and pace when in meetings I'm not on camera. Both help a lot to not have my back seize up. Our Y doesn't open until 6:00 and pool might be later. Maybe I haven't completely ruled it out. Classes might be nice but may be added fee.

      Delete
  2. Eeeww a secret dating site - how intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was funny, though pissed that we had to change cards.

      Delete
  3. Hey good list of savings. It is really all the little things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. These are painless, just living life stuff too.

      Delete
  4. You said you were out of barbecue sauce - here's my mother's recipe (assuming you have all the ingredients):
    6 T. ketchup
    4 T. apple cider vinegar
    2 T. lemon juice
    4 T. Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup molasses (optional)
    4 T. butter or margarine
    6 T. brown sugar
    2 t. salt
    2 t. dry mustard
    Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Yield: 1 1/2 cups (I usually double).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know I can make sauce and if cooking ribs or chicken probably would. I keep a bottle just like other condiments.

      Delete
  5. I get the best exercise in the pool and feel so good and limber afterwards. I also picked up some hand weights at a consignment sale recently. Sounds like a good and frugal week for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel thin in the water! I use weights while in meetings, but the slightly heavier will be a good addition. Nice that you found them inexpensively.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.