Tuesday, September 13, 2022

My Wednesday Pantry- More Use it Up

      I readily change my menu plan to use up what needs using. Last night I finally just thin sliced the meat from the last of the BBQ ribs and made sort of a take on a cheese steak sandwich. DS had bought us a block of a mushroom and leek cheese when he was here (his new favorite from our local cheese store)  and I had the remains of a discounted wheat French bread loaf. There was still potatoes, and baked beans so DH ate hearty last night! I had a little of the pork but enjoyed cucumbers and hummus in toast with my meat. I had eaten the last of the mac and cheese for my lunch- he had his chance. Next time he decides to cook though ( remember the two pounds of spaghetti a few years ago), he needs to remember there's just two of us. 



     I planned portions almost perfectly with spaghetti sauce, sending lunch for my daughter and reserving a portion for pizza. However there was still spaghetti noodles left after DH ate. I felt bad though that DH said there wasn't much sauce. If I had known he wanted more, I'd have pointed out the pizza reserves. It just seemed like there was plenty for his pasta.  Tonight's going to be lo mein. Yes, it's supposed to be rice noodles, but spaghetti does work. I'm a little shy on various oils and sauces, so I'm tapping into some leftover soy and sweet and sour sauce packets from the condiment bin. With those, I can get enough flavor from the bit of remaining sesame oil. 

     I'm using down lots of condiments and cooking oils, that will need restocking. That will be a bite to my challenge budget, but as pointed out, often folks with very limited budgets have to start from nothing in their pantry, and perhaps I will too. I shrug as well when I see super low budget prep, but using loads of things from an already stocked kitchen. While my challenge is personal to me and I'm not trying to demonstrate to others how they can make meals on a low budget, I'm cognisant of coming off disingenuous. I'll be without BBQ, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili powder, garlic powder, and whole pepper corns by the end of this week so need to plan those items into my budget or do without. I needed apple cider vinegar and my drink mixes, so I just grabbed a few things at Dollar Tree. Probably not best value. As for those condiments, oils, and seasonings, I estimate these are close to $20, but really can make other humble ingredients taste so much better in the final meal. 

     How are you using up items you already have to make something new? Are you a spice and condiment lover as I am? What are some of your basic go to's you regularly keep on hand? 

20 comments:

  1. We definitely use a lot of spice & flavoring. We aren't big dressing/bottled sauce people, but we like things like sesame oil, vinegars & spices and add to various dishes.

    We are using the few days where M is traveling to make progress on our fridge/freezer, which is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use salad dressing and BBQ sauce. I do have homemade versions I like, but generally don't bother often. I like flavorful food, so will make room to restock a few things.

      Delete
  2. I stay stocked on various oils, condiments and spices. I use the two is one, one is none theory. I buy my spices in bulk so I just do a once or twice a year order on what is needed.
    We like a lot of variety in our meals so this works well for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my TP philosophy now. Where do you order? That's a good idea to get in bulk.

      Delete
    2. I've used Rose Mountain Herbs for years. The quality is amazing.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Lori. I will look and blow my whole budget.

      Delete
  3. Third day of using up my roasted chicken. I’m making fried rice and will freeze the broth I got from boiling the carcass. I have zucchini to make some simple fritters and might make a plain cucumber salad. Good news is I have booked an Airbnb and got my tickets for California for October. $$ yes but I haven’t really traveled since last Thanksgiving. My local daughter’s in-laws invited me for Thanksgiving already- a first for them to plan so early but with grandsons both in college now, no more spur of the moment invites. Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup weather is delayed but I too plan to get a chicken to roast and make multiple meal, including getting good broth. Next month.

      Delete
  4. Your two pounds of cooked pasta came to mind when I cooked a whole pound the other day! There is still some left, and I don't want to open another jar of pasta. I love spaghetti noodles with olive oil and parmesan cheese, but don't need so many carbs.

    I don't think you were being disingenuous with your SNAP challenge. It is the gloating bloggers and elected officials who are so proud of themselves and smug in the fact they know all about how the recipients could work their meals and eat just fine that irk me.

    Cheese store? I would love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat a little olive oil, cheese and pasta, and I agree it's a carb load. The cheese stores about a year old, but they sold at the farmer's market for years.

      Delete
  5. I use sesame oil to fry green beans and in other dishes. It is spendy, but I like the Asian sauce flavors and hey if it keeps me cooking at home I am saving money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had this bottle at least four months, so I made it stretch. I do need another one. It makes Asian inspired dishes so much better.

      Delete
  6. I grew up with British baking (think, every veggie boiled within an inch of its life, and all meat overcooked), where salt & pepper were "for show" and no spices were used! Can you imagine? I didn't experience any other culture's food until a neighbour made us tacos when I was around 9 years old.

    I've branched out a lot as an adult and regularly add spices to almost everything. My faves are cumin, coriander and oregano for soups/stews. Agreed, spices are EXPENSIVE and they never go on sale. I have discovered in my local grocery store that there is the spice/baking aisle...but there is also the "ethnic" aisle which also sells spices - and they are substantially cheaper! I buy chili powder from India now (it's much hotter than the old stuff, so it lasts longer too) instead of the more traditional Mexican chili powder.

    My Chinese coworker says all you need is oyster sauce and dark soy sauce - that's the base for all Chinese food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've described my Norwegian mother's cooking as well! I use so many ingredients and seasonings my mother never did. My kids use ones I havent- they are getting more adventurous.

      Delete
  7. You're right in that it's a lot easier to be creative when you already have a reasonable supply of spices and oils etc. I remember when we moved from Switzerland to D.C. and had to start my kitchen from scratch - wow was that a big shop. Same thing when my son moved into his own place last year. He budgeted big for the first shop and still didn't get everything he needed. It takes time to build it up doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter had a huge stick up shoo too last month, but now is set and just needs to replace as she uses up. There's the inexpensive versions of spices, but so much needs to be used so they're maybe not a bargain.

      Delete
  8. I woke up in middle of night for a few minutes and read your post. My sleep schedule is so off… lol. I use soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, pepper, and Cajun/Creole seasonings. I don’t generally like sage, basil, oregano, cilantro, or cumin, etc. I like ranch dressing but prefer homemade, and like a high quality vinegar and oil dressing from high end grocery store. I always splash apple cider vinegar,
    and a hot pepper sauce on my turnip greens or collards, and also put it on my New Orleans style red beans and rice. I seldom eat out bc of peculiar aversion to some spices and my love of others like Creole ( Tony Chacheres) . I will also use pickle juice in a lot of food… lol. I do think spices and dressings and flavorings are generally expensive. Turnip greens and collards here in south part of my state are generally also flavored with hog parts cooked with the greens. I suppose that counts as a flavoring spice maybe????
    Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure- fat can be flavorful so why not! I use all the spices you don't like, I guess. I'd like to use more creole seasonings, as I love the flavors when I've had food in New Orleans.

      Delete
  9. Your meals look delicious! I'll have to see if I can find that cheese, yum!
    My Mom was the best southern cook, but she didn't venture much into other cuisines. Since I have been married, I have enjoyed experimenting with different spices and recipes and have become more adventurous. My guys still have to put cholula and sriracha on foods since they like stuff hotter than my daughter and I. Of course, I have soy sauce, sesame oil, oyster sauce ,fish sauce, mirin, rice vinegar and five spice for asian dishes. Coriander, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder are some of my staples for mexican dishes. We recently made a beef bowl, and I'm loving dashi. I bought some sazon seasoning, but I need to experiment with it some more. We love spices, and life is too short to eat bland food. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Spice can take us to new places in our head. I'd like to experiment more. Actually, I don't cook much southern cuisine but you all are inspiring me to try.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.