Friday, November 25, 2022

Friday Free for All-Happy Birthday

      It's my 57th birthday today. It's started nice with sleeping in to 7:00, coffee, and a nice gift from my daughter of chocolate, coffee, and a new bathrobe. DH is taking me out for lunch later and I'm meeting family for Bingo later at a local club/ bar. I chatted with DS last night after the big Vikings win and had a message from DD2 and she plans to call today. Can't get better than that to spend your day. I'm now officially older than my sister when she passed away. 

     Thanksgiving was a nice gathering at DH's brothers. We got home, walked and fed dogs and dug into snuggly blankets for the game. It's awesome to still have three full days of the weekend. I'm just wanting to savor the extra time. As it's Friday, it's a free for all, I have no topic and want you all to chat about anything you want too. 

Holiday Food 

     Oh we had a feast. They had family friend's who were without someplace to go. This was a very nice family and she brought additions to the traditional Thanksgiving meal that pushed it over the top. I know Mac and cheese is traditional in some parts of the states, but not in our family but it was a winner. She also brought a salad that had candied walnuts, craisins, and apples and a honey mustard vinaigrette. I'll make that dressing for sure, but might substitute maple syrup for honey. 

On Cute Pups

     Besides the Macy's parade and a full day of football, there's another Thanksgiving Day traditional event. Maybe you heard the news. A French bulldog named Winston was named Best of Show yesterday in the annual AKC show. Judged according to the best attributes of each breed, then an overall winner is selected. No doubt as in previous years, people will swarm to this year's winning breeds. We got pup, the little shitzuo poodle mix, heavy on the shit, and the unknown mix of grandpup, border collie/ lab/ Greyhound mix possible. My daughter bought him a more durable harness and leesh and is working on training skills with him. Pup is a lost cause. They meet our loving needs. Winston is a wrinkled cutie though.  

Last Thoughts 

     I'm sure we'll have the USA-England match on today. Admittedly, I have no clue about our team. I didn't even know we qualified. Still, I enjoy soccer and wish our guys good luck. At some point I need to get items for tomorrow's dinner at my SIL's. I'll hold off on real grocery shopping until Sunday perhaps after church. My daughter and I are going to do some cyber shopping today, because there's a rug she has her eye on.  Tomorrow is our shop local winter fest downtown so will see what I can find for folks and maybe make a s'more at the open fires. 

     However your sending your day, have a great one. Let us know what's on your weekend schedule. 


21 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Sam! I hope this chapter brings all you're hoping for.
    We're getting ready to go to a local craft show and stopping at a few other places. We're doing all local shopping this Christmas. I hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to a workout class this morning, Nick is attending a tennis clinic, and M will be watching the World Cup. Sam is going to a friend's house to watch.

    Otherwise, we may put the tree up, and I think I'll make some butternut squash soup, from garden squash I roasted & froze earlier. Should be a fun but mellow day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and a big happy birthday to you! Hope you have a fabulous day, full of all of your favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy, Happy Birthday, my friend! Sounds like a lovely day already! Our thanksgiving was very low key but DD requested mac and cheese also, which I’ve never been able to find a go-to recipe that thrills us, despite many attempts. This was was okay but needed to be creamier. It’s a start. I pulled the closing shift today and only an 8 hour one, instead of the 10 hours I did last year. We have a lot of help and I don’t think we’ll be super busy so I anticipate smooth sailing today. Tomorrow I’m an opener and then I’m off Sunday because we needed more coverage later in the week once the college girls are back at school. DD has developed DH’s dry cough and went to bed very early last night so no shopping for us this morning. Maybe tomorrow afternoon we’ll putz about some stores but we aren’t in much need of anything. I just need to quickly decorate the railing that goes upstairs and the inside of the house will be done. I’m off Wednesday and it’s supposed to be in the 50’s so I’ll get some stuff up on the porch and I can cross the decorating off my list :) JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! You have been born in a festive season. Glad you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Sam!!! A happy belated Thanksgiving to you and the family, too.
    I hope your day is as fabulous as you are, it sounds lovely so far.
    The USA are a great team, we've not ever beaten them in a World Cup match, let's hope tonight's the night! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! We were married the day after Thanksgiving and for 14 years my husband was confused about our anniversary! He is probably still confused about it over 50 years later. Believe me, it is something I only thought about after you said it was your birthday.

    Macaroni and cheese has never been a part of any meal, celebration or not when I was growing up or since. I know people in the South love it even for celebrations, but not my family.

    Other than not to be food aggressive, I only taught my dog one thing before she was killed--"on the porch." This was so I would not back over her as I drove off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great relaxing birthday. Let everyone wait on YOU today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Sam! You have quite a way to go before you catch up to me. I hope the rest of your long weekend is fun and relaxing. The weather is cooperating, so enjoy it while you can. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to you!!!! My American friend here in France just sent me a "go USA message" and that was when I found out they were playing England right now! My TV has been unplugged for almost a year now and I couldn't get it to work so I guess I'll miss it! (Not that I care that much anyway) but ....!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! Hope the ready of the long weekend is relaxing and easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Sam, your day sounds a perfect birthday day. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happiest of birthday wishes! Hope your day was filled with love and laughter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Indeed many happy returns! May these next twelve months be good ones for you! oxox

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.