Friday, April 7, 2023

Pantry Challenge

      I try writing when I think it helps get my mind elsewhere for a bit. Here's something I've picked at over a few weeks. I even added some bad pictures. It's a bit food diary, recipe linkage, challenge kind of post. Food piled up, despite trying to use up leftovers, sending food home with others, and donating unopened items to the food pantry. As my aim was coming into 2023, I want to both eliminate or at least reduce food waste, limit convenience items, and eat a well balanced healthy diet. It's tough cooking for one without boredom, but I do enjoy cooking, and happy to share meals with others. There was some good suggestions for how others plan their meals solo, and I'll find my way. I just don't want to get in a take out/ frozen meal rut. 

     I was in a particularly deep funk one weekend, procrastinating tasks I should have been doing, and went down rabbit holes of both web searches and YouTube on cooking when it looks like you have nothing in the house, aka, pantry challenges. I probably detest grocery shopping even more now than before. Despite blogging, I'm actually a very private person, so I find myself ducking and weaving to avoid interactions if I'm not feeling strong. Now, I am far from having nothing in the house, but not necessarily neat easy to prepare items. But, I decided to try and be creative, making twists on recipes I found, substituting anything not found with what I thought might be a suitable alternative. Here's a few results.

Chickpea and potato curry soup: This was more inspiration than recipe following. I had to substitute almond milk with a bit of corn starch and lemon juice in place of coconut milk. I also didn't have an onion but used onion powder. It worked. I made basmati rice to pour it over, so it thickened with that change as well. It really was more of a thin  Chala aloo masala. I just made that up, but it did have vegetables, proteins, and spice so better than opening a canned soup. 


No knead bread: I misread for a single loaf on the long rise method and used whole packet of yeast, so divided into two- one plain, one with garlic and Italian seasoning. One loaf was baked in my Dutch oven and the other with a loaf pan, covered with second loaf pan. Both were delicious and were used for toast, grilled cheese, and snacking during that week. I sent some with my daughter and froze in slices to keep until used. Seriously easy, but I know the long oven time might dissuade others from making this. Doing two loaves helped offset energy use. 

     My daughter joined me a few Sunday nights ago. We made an improvised Bolognese with a can of whole tomatoes, lots of spices, and some frozen veggie balls found in the freezer, served over spaghetti. The veggie balls sort of fell apart in the tomatoes, but it worked ok. I gave it a kick with red pepper flakes. I sent pasta with her for lunch and I ate two days for lunch. I froze extra soup for my college kid. 

Bean and ham soup with mozzarella cheese on home-made herb bread from the freezer. I do eat food other than soup, but with perpetual winter, it works. 

     This past Saturday when we woke up to another bad April fools joke of 10 inches of snow, I just didn't want to leave the house. I dug out a frozen bag of prepared pinto beans, some boneless ham ends from Christmas Eve, two stalks of celery, and Better than Bouillon for an easy bean soup. There was still the herb bread in the freezer to eat with it. I just can't cook for one it seems, so once again filled my freezer with two hefty portions, and still ate the soup for lunch an additional two days. No ones going to say I'm going without meals. 

Do you use old plastic to freeze? This sour cream  container holds cooked basmati rice to go with the two pouches of curry soup I froze for my college kid. 

     The girls are with me this weekend, plus it's Easter. We're going to my sister's for brunch Sunday. I'll stop at my mother-in-laws but we're not having her big family meal. I just can't. I mostly need to get stuff done- anything done, to try to move a bit to whatever my life is going to be now. Thanks friends for being here. 



16 comments:

  1. Happy Easter, Sam. I'm glad your daughters will be with you. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bread looks heavenly! I have yet to try something like that. I usually make Easter bread bunnies, but I haven't mentioned it to hubby and he hasn't brought it up, so I'm hoping we can skip it this year as I don't need the extra carbs right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that bread looked really good too. Might have to give that a try!

      Delete
  3. I don't mind 'reruns'. I like to make a riced cauliflower "fried" rice. I use ham, chicken, whatever veg is around and I'll scramble 2 eggs separately and toss them in. I can eat it every other day and have 3lg or 4sm servings.

    I love grilled salmon, chicken thighs or a burger. I'm willing to fire up the grill for me. I can cook up 1 serving pasta, ratatouille from the freezer or pesto, top with 6 shrimp pan seared and a side of veg.

    I also tend to be a "picker". Cheese stick now, 1/4c nuts later, pita chips and hummus for a snack and then egg or tuna salad to top off the day with filling protein/fat.

    I guess I'm a go-with-the-flow eater. I love tasty healthy simple foods and I'm worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you are around family through this holiday. I used to make a casserole of what ever was there and then thin it out with milk/broth/ water for soup for something different even in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if it is winter, I don't make soup. I should. I wish you had our mid-80s. Winter is well over here. When I lived alone, I was a picker, too. I made sure it was all balanced at the end of the day. When I was cooking for one, I would use the oven for one chicken breast. Then, I got smart and started cooking at least three or four and freezing half of the chicken. My cooking-for-one meals evolved. I suppose yours will, too. No, I don't use those containers for freezing. But, have glass in which to freeze or plastic freezer bags. I use straight sided Ball jars for freezing, too. Have a pleasant weekend, whatever you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sam! That curried chickpea soup and your no knead bread look absolutely delicious. I'm glad that your daughters are with you this weekend. Sending love. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used a meal service this week (food is already prepped, ready to go), because I have been super tapped out of planning, cooking, etc. The meal service was a super convenient option, but definitely not as tasty as home cooked meals.

    We're heading to Colorado tonight for college tours, so we will do one more week of delivery meals next week. Our work is offering some super cheap options in partnership with the meal services. It's nice to try something new, although I know it's not what we will do regularly.

    We'll be spending Easter doing a college tour with my BFFs daughter (she attends one of the colleges we're looking at) & having brunch with her, before we fly back home. We did a low key egg hunt with the boys last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgot to mention, the bread looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bread looks great! I do tomato soup or pumpkin soup quite often and sometimes throw rice and spinach in it with a top of sour cream. I usually serve with grilled cheese or cheese toast. Soup is just so easy to do and hits the spot. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sam, These all look pretty good. I like to make curry on the thin, soupy side the first day; by the next day the potatoes have thickened it up. I have been stocking up on brown rice because of all the unpredictable food shortages these days--brown rice is not something I would want to run out of--it is my go-to. --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've done the use-what's-in-your-pantry when I was moving. This past year has been off due to not having on my own kitchen. BUT when I have my own place, a lot of things will change.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am hibernating at home
    Have locked the gate and asked friends to stay away
    My daughter has gone away for a few days with friends from University- my son has returned to his own home ( about 30 minutes from mine ) and his sweet little cat who has been expressing her disquiet at seeing so little of him
    Not marking Easter
    I just can’t
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a hard weekend. The girls and I went to brunch, away from our community. I didn't want to run into anyone. I bought pretty cookies to stop at Mother in laws, but it might be a very brief visit. I don't feel like they're family even though I don't feel unmarried. I can't describe this odd juxtaposition. I need my family; his feels like they add to my pain. Take care and keep yourself safe in whatever way you need.

      Delete
  13. I am so glad you are continuing to blog. The bread looks amazing! Also 10 inches of snow in APRIL??? eeekkk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't used plastic storage bags much for this sort of thing. I guess I worry it will leak in a poke.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.