Friday, March 24, 2017

A Little Competition Amongst Friends


After my recruiter interview, I wasn't going to say more until there was actually news to share, but I have a snippet. After work I met up with a group of work colleagues both in my agency and our partners to celebrate the end of a four plus year grant. Even before I started my job, I was involved in this project so have been there since the beginning. Over margaritas, beers, chips and guacamole, I learned not only is one of my immediate co-workers also in the mix for the position, another colleague is as well. I won't go into how it came up, but I looked around the room and thought, dang, I bet at least 50% of these people could have been on a recruiter list for the position. 

I've mentioned it is a small world field, smaller when really good jobs come up. For example, while I was recruited for the job I have, the two people that took my former restructured position were undoubtedly recruited for those. I would place bets that both their names came up to this recruiter, as they are well respected and skilled (they're just not me.). Of course, many people are not looking at changing jobs, or even if they would consider it, this type of position would not appeal to many. I also think there are specific experiences and competencies that  vary amongst talented and successful professionals in the same field, that will make some of us better candidates than others. Still, it also comes down to fit, and the impression made upon the recruiter. As much as I still think my background fits the position extremely well, if they just didn't connect with me, or didn't feel the client would, I may be done in the process.

I have been keeping my hopes low, and the expanded pool of insiders has me placing those hopes all the way on the bottom shelf. Interestingly, a newly position has just come up at the second colleagues work place, one that I would think she not only would be perfect for, the people hiring would be entirely blind not to put her in it, if she so applied. I might have a tangential interest myself, but she most definitely would be a better fit. For me, while it would be a hierarchical move by title and breadth of authority, in terms of functions, pay, and benefits, would probably be just lateral, so that is why my interest is lukewarm. In my field of work, it is a small world, positioning us for a little competition amongst friends.

6 comments:

  1. That does make it tough among colleagues - like you say though, no point in getting hopes up - time will tell. I am sure you are all very talented and often the job goes to someone for an odd reason. You can't take anything personally in business these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly can say, I would be thrilled if either of them were hired. I'd be thrilled if I was offered it of course!

      Delete
  2. What is the saying "Love's love and business is business"? As Cheapchick said, just keep it on that level. If you get the job that will be fantastic, and if you don't (still rooting for you to get it) well it's just business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. My gain already is getting myself back in the "interview game", as I have been out of the job search environment, I feel like I may have lost my stuff being able to advocate for myself.

      Delete
  3. "What's for you won't get past you". Sounds like you've got the right attitude.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These two women are friends, and awesome, and I would only want them to have a job that was meant for them. I guess it shows I run in the best circles, right!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.