Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Job Changes

On July 26th, my position changes, well at least, for an interim basis. We can't be promoted outright, but can be promoted to interim positions, that later get officially posted. I have not heard of a time when the person in the interim position, unless they intentionally took it as a temporary assignment, is not given the position permanently, but it is possible. My current program will still be under my management, but I'll have an additional area of oversight, plus supervisory duties, different from my current team leadership role. There was additional juggling in the division, so the "To Be Determined" parts of my new job will stay as such, evolving as needs are figured out. I'm excited and overwhelmed at the same time. A significant project now will fall in my lap, with an aggressive timeline. It's a good thing I'm not taking any vacation in the short term other than a day here and there, because the learning curve will be steep and fast. 

I received the official letter yesterday, confirming my salary and was pleasantly surprised. Rather than be put  lower to mid of the range, my now direct boss advocated to take into account my experience at my previous job. The result was about 6% more than I expected. I'm still figuring out how my schedule will work, mostly having continued flex days where I have a few days off a month, and few telecommuting days, but they may vary. The salary bump couldn't have come at a better time. While June wasn't horrible, July for DH has been very low, on par with last summers drop. Oh, the savings goals will still be laughable, but my increase will ease the gap a smidge. 

Thank you all for enduring my later than mid career crisis I've moaned about. I know I will not be bored on the job, and indeed will be challenged. I'll still have multiple levels of decision makers above me, and I'm good with that. I'll be at the place where I can frame  and shape what the decision options are, and that is what I was hoping for.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations - I'm glad things have worked out well for you in your career, moaning aside :) Actually I don't remember much moaning. An extra 6% is nothing to sniff at that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like I was being crabby since my round of rejections and not moving forward on job interviews.I guess Karma had other plans.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations. Since I have chosen not to work outside the home since the kids started coming, I don't quite understand your angst, but I know you had it, so I am glad you are facing a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had angst about my career. I've invested a significant amount of time in my career development, and even went back to school to pick up skills I didn't previously have with my education credentials. It doesn't mean I'm invested any less in my role as mom and my family, in fact for me, the opposite. I function better in life overall when I'm pursuing my own goals. I'd have been a lousy stay at home mom full time, though did not work full time when my older kids were young, and I probably would have worked fewer hours with the youngest if it would have been an option, but I did set really strong boundaries between work and home before she was in school. I'm fortunate that I had the option to make a choice to work outside the home.

      Delete
  3. Great news SAM! And, seriously, I think you are one of the most upbeat bloggers I read! Really happy for you! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy. I'll feel more confident if/when it becomes permanent. I'm glad the positive side of me comes out more than the whiny side!

      Delete
  4. That is awesome news! So glad that this opportunity has come your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. It aligns better with the job I thought mine was going to be.

      Delete
  5. That is good news! Especially about the raise part, I know you have been wanting a change for a while now. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be the right amount of change. The raise will be appreciated with 6 years of school expenses ahead.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.