Thursday, October 26, 2017

Charitable Giving Lures

October is our companies charitable giving month. We have goals that are quadruple previous years totals in both automatic deductions plus month giving. The small committee has done a really stellar job doing some fun fundraisers, yet quite sociable. There was "buy a balloon for a coworker",for $2.00 a balloon you could get a bright Mylar balloon for people you wanted to recognize. It was cheery seeing all the balloons above cube walls and office doors. There have been guessing jars, at 50 cents a guess, you won the jar contents. Some were candy, some were pencils, all kinds of items and all kinds of jars. Yesterday was a chili cook off. For $5.00  for a bottomless bowl, staff sampled and voted for a favorite. There was also a silent auction. 

The silent auction could have been dangerous. Each department and a few individuals did up themed baskets for bidding. People knocked themselves out. There were movie night and wine night baskets  Car care/winter car kits were a frequent theme. We have many talented knitters, crocheters, and quilters and they put themselves out there with their wares. I got a little carried away and put bids all over the place. Had all my bids have been successful, I'd have been in for over $300. A late scurry just before close meant I was out bid on everything. DH and I have done this before. This is how we are the proud owners of a $300 2006 Green Bay Packer signed football, and a 1999 or 2000, signed Dan Marino football. Oh, and a Mickey Mantle-Robert Kennedy print, too. We could have also wound up with a $500 Joe Mauer baseball bat, but thankfully someone saw the "value" as greater and bid over us. I was very relieved!

These kind of events, if done right, make great money. Because items are donated, often the recipient gets a good deal on the items. My sister is a general manager at a very lovely private golf club.It is easy for her to donate packages of a round of golf for two or four with a cart, and does so regularly when asked for such events. The value if paid outright is $200 or $350, and at the events I've been involved in, the bid comes in for around 1/2 to 3/4 of the value. In my case, it is easy to get get carried away in the fun and the prospect of winning. Overspending is consoled with it being charitable giving. 

By nature of both DH's and my work, plus our extended circle of family and friends, we seem to attend a lot of fundraiser events. As an early Christmas gift for DH's mom, we are taking her to a gala for the local Arts Association. DD2's jazz group is part of the entertainment. The tickets are not cheap, but she is hard to buy for, and I'll get a lovely picture with all of us in our finest and one of DD2 and her grandma to put in a nice frame to give her at Christmas. Would we normally spend $75 a ticket on cocktails and nibbles? Of course not, but it is for charity, so all fine and good, right. We would donate to this organization anyway as part of our annual giving, but easy to be drawn in spending on a night of entertainment beyond my normal budget when it is a fundraiser. 

Who else is a sucker for a good silent auction? What has been your best win on a bid? Anyone have any regrets due to getting carried away, and have, say two footballs sitting in plastic cases?

6 comments:

  1. I don't get lured in to these things at all. If I want to support a cause, I do, by donating money or time. I don't need the stuff being sold, and I don't like being manipulated by "it's for a good cause" angle. When the kids used to come home with the paper for school fundraising, I would toss the papers in the trash. I never sold stuff on their behalf, and actually, didn't let them sell it either. I wouldn't let them put our neighbors in that position. Their bands also fundraise with bake sales, etc. Again, no. There are huge fees for participation in marching band, so I don't feel guilty at all for not spending any more $ or time. If the kid wants to go on the band trip, said kid is free to pound the pavement, and sell the wares, but without my help. Dh and I have more than enough jobs around here kid can do for cash to raise the amount, and kid will be helping out at home to boot. Charity begins at home, doncha' know! On the other hand, we do cheerfully look forward to son's chamber choir's fundraising concert. It's the only thing they do to raise money all year. $5 suggested donation, and a great show. Funny, it's the ONLY fundraising event this group does, and they make more than enough for the year. But, ultimately, crap I don't need is crap I don't need, no matter what the cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of the professional vendors that do fundraisers-so little ends up with the organization,and I too don't want my kid peddling crap. But the silent auctions are usually donated items from folks that want to support the org, and the social aspect tends to draw folks in. with years of being on boards and working on associations, to keep the price of activities low, or at least lower, the fundraisers are essential. There is a movie, Friends with Money that the sort of stupidity about people spending hundreds/thousands on a dinner, but not directly supporting the cause. One rich friend responded, "that's how it's done." I get where you are coming from.

      Delete
  2. We attend a good many of those over the course of a year and I really like them. I have gotten several pieces of art at very good prices, along great entertainment and service deals. (and life your footballs we have a seat from the old Yankee stadium). A lot of the non-profits (especially local one) rely heavily on the fundraisers to pad their meager budgets. I look at them as a win/win proposition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually enjoy them too-just have to pace myself when bidding. As I said to Meg, the cost of running an organization or youth activities is rarely covered in fees. I worked on all volunteer youth clubs so no high paid salaries.

      Delete
  3. The best ones are typically related to things we'll already be doing (camps for the kids, etc). I have two items I'm struggling to use from this year's school auction. 20 paintball tickets (meant to host both birthday parties this way, but then we moved & scrapped that due to timing) & an art class for Nick. We shall use them eventually. I forget to use things & they expire sometimes, which is such a waste! Need to be better about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The point ball sounds like a great party ideas-yes, don't let it go wasted. I'm a bit of a basket lover, and when they are done up so nice, I get caught up. Same with the homemade items like quilts ad blankets as I appreciate the skill since I have none.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.