Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Thrifty Finds and Happenings Recently

I feel like I haven't been doing much in terms of saving money, so thought a little ponder to remind myself I am mostly careful, and the benefits of doing so, are still present in my life. It seems even though we thought we planned well for our kids college, the inflation rate and the pending total for DD2 will exceed what we previously had set aside, so know we will need to keep plugging that hole. Thrifty ways will help. If she ends up choosing the lower cost state schools, we will be fine with what is set aside and some limited cash flowing of expenses. Something tells me to figure the higher priced option, though still with a cap. Here's a few thrifty actions the last week.

1. Packed a few snacks and bottled water to avoid expensive snacks on the road for both DH and my weekend getaway and college trip.

2. At restaurants, we ordered just the right amount of food-no wasteful oversized portions.

3. Made a humongous pot of chicken noodle soup for the lake. I roasted a whole $4 
chicken, splurged on frozen egg noodles, but still came in under $12. This fed 10 people at the lake (with other sandwiches), plus I'm getting two lunches from it this week, and it  was supper last night for the three of us. DH even had a thigh and drumstick Saturday night before I shredded for the soup, but there was so much chicken the missing pieces weren't noticed. I'll need to watch for deal on whole chickens.

4. Received hand me ups from DD1 on a ski jacket she bought last year that is way too big for her, plus two wool jackets. She herself is looking for replacements at Goodwill. Using these coats will extend the life of my outerwear indefinitely. All are basic styles-not likely to be outdated.

5. After she had exhausted sources for a second hand, I did buy DD1 a combo food processor-blender for her birthday that is the end of the month. Layered with coupons and bonus buys, we got her model of choice for less than half of original price. It's the Ninja brand, same as my super blender which I use for tons of things. She has embraced whole food cooking, makes pretty much all her food from scratch including items she used to buy like granola and protein bars and veggie and bean burgers. 

Pennies and dimes help. Dollars saved will do more. I'm reffing one volleyball match tonight,  a bit more to set aside. I'm not a super thrifter or a coupon queen by any stretch. My strategy, if it could be called one, is trying not to waste and be intentional when I do spend. This is always a work in progress.

10 comments:

  1. Trying not to waste and be intentional when I do spend - that's exactly what I do. If I do need to buy something I'll always buy the best I can afford, cheap, poorly made stuff is false economy. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter really did the research. We did almost buy a refurbished one on amazon, but then it came with no warranties and I became leery. What's the term, Fast Fashion? I don't have the confidence to pull off true vintage, but my clothes stand the test of time because they are so basic, but they last.

      Delete
  2. Good job! Trying over here, but not too successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many extra costs in high school-yearboks that ar $80 plus, the extra books for literature class, though I can at least source most second hand first sometimes at a used book store, but on line if not.

      Delete
  3. Could you figure out what you've saved with these transactions and add that to your college savings account? Trying not to waste is such a good strategy that I wish everyone would adhere to as it really helps the environment too. I would also suggest refillable water bottles vs throw away plastic water bottles too. If you already do that then just ignore that comment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a tight goal per month that we think we need to set aside for her so all the economizing will roll into that savings-more some months, less other, but an average. I should have said water bottles, not bottled water. We used our trusty nalgene bottles and refilled as needed on the weekend.We only get one planet-need to economize there just as much!

      Delete
  4. My biggest saving is taking my breakfast and lunch to work 99 times out of a hundred. Plus coffee and tea of course. It really is quite amazing what I see people spend buying lunch at work and I prefer my own cooking anyway. And all for not very much effort. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due to working lunches, I'm not always that successful brown bagging it, but my intent is to not just eat out to eat out. Now that cooler weather is coming, having a reheated bowl of homemade soup is better than trudging out in the cold again for a mediocre sandwich somewhere.

      Delete
  5. I too aim for intentional spending I'm nowhere near being the thriftiest person on the planet but I don't want to waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've akways appreciated your blog title. I too am frugally challenged, but most of us are. Choosing good, but thrifty option is my goal, but I'l never be a super saver.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.