Saturday, February 17, 2018

Budget Check in and Craving Wholesome Food

Between busy schedules and feeling less than chipper, the meals have been pretty uninspiring.With a day off yesterday spent on the road to do an in depth of one of DD2's top college  choices, we ate donuts in the car, shared waffle fries, cheese curds and a personal pizza for lunch, and  fruit snacks on the way home. Meals with too much processed stuff, and not nearly enough fruit and vegetables. I plan to remedy this at least for the weekend. It's a four day weekend for me, so I have today, tomorrow, and Monday to get menus created and some prep done that will having me reaching for soup and homemade hot dishes from the freezer instead of frozen pizza and taquitos. 

I promised DD2 veggie curry for supper-we are both craving an infusion of vegetables into our meals. DH doesn't like it, so I thought he might just get some steamed vegetables, a couple baked potatoes and either a piece of chicken or fish. I've got beans soaking to do a huge batch of bean soup, plenty for my lunches. DD2 is partial to soups with broth and pasta so I'm also going to do a pasta fagiole, loaded with onions, carrots, celery, spinach,potato, and zucchini. DH likes both kinds of soup so despite the curry meal not floating his boat, he should be happy. I've got eggs to make egg salad and w have plenty of canned tuna to eat along side as sandwiches, or as In trying to reduce carbs, perched on a bed of greens. I am going to do a little research on a couple slow cooker meals to have ready for the week as well. My body feels better just planning to make better food. 

We got the VISA that will be due the end of the month. We are doing really well as a family controlling our spending. There are no surprises on there or tallies of purchases that we absent mindedly forgot about. On the grocery and household front, we've spent $267.35 so far, plus the $24.50 carried into the month from January stock piing, for a total of $291.85, leaving a balance to be at or below our $400 budget of $108.15. We need milk, onions, celery, chicken, and some more fruit and veg to round out the groceries on hand for the week. Household items are good, but I think we'll need a good $12-$15 of personal care items. If I can keep all this under $60 today, that will leave plenty for odds and ends next week-perhaps even come under budget by 5-10%. Depending on DH's last paycheck next week, we should be able to put a fair sum aside. 

Life is expensive. Poor health though is really expensive. I need to make sure that while we try and save money, we are taking care of our health needs at the same time. Time for me to make some eggs and avacado and get my weekend fueled. 

7 comments:

  1. You are right, life is expensive. Hubby and I hit middle age and suddenly feel a need to take better care of ourselves so what goes into our bodies is super critical. Sounds like you have a game plan, that is half the battle. I love the slow cooker- nothing nicer than setting everything up in the morning and at supper time just dishing it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem is finding recipes that cook for a ong time. I leve by 6:40, and even DH leaves by 8:20, so things cook until nealry 6:00. SO many recipes are 5-6 hours. If I could count on him coming home it would work better. No doubt what we put in is huge in our health.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it amazing how a few days without fruits and vegetables and with junk makes you crave vegetables? Having been ill on and off for almost three months with flu B, uti, and walking pneumonia, I just want to stuff myself with vegetables after two many carb meals and fast food. Putting good healthy food in the crockpot or oven bag makes me happy just knowing it will be done soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mouth is watering thinking about a hearty veggie filled sou. The curry was so good, but daughter claimed leftovers! If we listen to our bodies, it tells us what we need don't they?

      Delete
  3. I totally crave produce when I go without. It's a nice signal from my body (when I pay attention), that it needs healthier options. One of my favorite veggie options is shelled edamame from Trader Joes, or carrots with spicy hummus (also from Trader joes). I never seem to have trouble getting in enough lunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten in the habit of throwing in at least two pieces of fruit in my bag for lunch or snacks. So needed! My kids are better than both DH and I, but having ready prepared veggies for snacking is a great idea. We love the red pepper hummus from Aldi's too-but so do others as it is often gone.

      Delete
  4. My poor husband is at the doctor or dentist at least once a week and he hates it. But at 67 you do what you need to. I think he is done for a while. Good for you staying in budget especially with travel.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.