Friday, February 2, 2018

Feeling Good Friday-It's Ground Hog Day

Wow, It's now February 2 and while I don't hold out hope for a short winter, let's hope the furry rodent does not see his shadow. I just learned there is Groundhog Day Live Stream from Pennsylvania.

For those of you not on pins and needles waiting for the prediction, let's get on with feeling goof Friday. I don't commit to weight loss in January-too much stress and cliche. February though, with one less month of cold weather to face,  potential dreams for a spring break get away, even if it is only an overnight stay in a hotel with a hot tub and pool on route between college visits, inspires me to look perhaps a bit better as spring approaches.  I was deluding myself a bit on how much of my previous 14 pound weight loss I had gained back. Sadly, nine pounds are back using today as my official weigh in. Still, five pounds lower than a year ago, and 12 pounds less than two years ago. Instead of my check in on anything health related, I' going to target this weigh loss plan and set some reasonable goals. 


  • Walk more. I joined Ilona and her on line walking group, at Life After Money and am tracking my progress. I doubt I will hit the 1000 mile mark, but set a goal for 600.
  • Add weights to my morning stretching. I dug up a couple two pound hand weights and as I do my morning stretches,  I'll add the weights in my hand. My arms have not only gotten very flabby, they have gotten weaker. I talked with a physical therapist about this and that is the suggestion. She also wants me to get my resistance bans back in action for my legs. 
  • Remember my water goal of one bottle on route each way? That has really fallen off in the cold weather. I know my body does feel so much better when I've had ample hydration. 
  • Build my meals around plant based foods. It's a new month, new groceries to buy. I need to go back to treating meat and carbs as side dishes.
  • Cut the sugar. I think I just need to go cold turkey. I find a little snack just leads me to wanting more. 
There are 16 weeks until  Memorial Day weekend, the unofficial beginning of summer lake season. We have a lot of weekends between now and then for working on home projects,  road trips, and volunteer or family commitments. I need to use those busy weekends to mentally focus on being a healthier me. Losing 24 pounds should be realistic, but if I average just a pound a week, I'll significantly improve my health.

10 comments:

  1. Have a great February. I am rooting for your successes! I am with you. I also leave January alone and start in February. As we speak I am making sugarless ketchup in the crock pot, turkey blueberry sausage and egg "muffins" just to have a few things on hand and pre-made so going sugarless will be a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might modify a bit and allow easier breakfast options like the egg sandwiches, so I start my day right. good luck to you as well. February feels like it should be a good place to restart.

      Delete
  2. I am with you two. Weight loss starts in February. I was surprised that I only gained back 9 lbs, but I am still 11 pounds lighter than a year ago, so now I just have to get down 6 lbs to reach another goal. Not my dream weight but closer, where are those cup cakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could stop the yoyo cycle. I get lazy, but losing the weight, following those strategies want that hard-just required discipline, something I do not have. I got frustrated when I plateaued but still no reason to gain it back.

      Delete
  3. Silly groundhog. It saw it's shadow. So I guess it's another 6 weeks of winter... If he had NOT seen his shadow, it's only be a month and a half til spring!
    I feel like a groundhog stew...
    I'm working on dieting too. again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no doubt we won't be seeing any sings of spring until late March-I predict 10 more weeks of winter.

      Delete
  4. I hear you about a little snack leaving you wanting more. Somebody told me that peanut butter and jelly rolled in a tortilla makes a good snack when dieting. Wrong! I made one yesterday and it was so tasty that I wanted more. Big mistake there, but I had a salad for dinner and was happy when I got on the scale this morning. I've lost my second pound! I resisted a lot of temptation this past week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I want a PB&Jon toast, my favorite go to snack when there is nothing in the house, and yes, I want three slices of it. Yeah for you!. I tried to choose wisley for lunch and dinner last night, but we'll see wha the scale says Friday, because DD1 and I had to share a cookie. Of course the cookie was the size of four cookies

      Delete
  5. I have given up sugar, and no longer have biscuits, cakes etc in the house. One was never enough and I could eat half a pack in a completely mindless way, not even tasting them. A surprising by-product is that my joints have improved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good place to start, but like CLAMCO says above, I find these other delectable things that get me over indulging. I notice the small weigh losses on my body, so it is a no brainer to keep at this for my whole qulaity of life-not just appearance.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.