Monday, March 5, 2018

Monday Thoughts and Meal Planning

Pretty much all the schools in Minnesota have been closed due to an anticipated snow and ice storm by mid-day. I'll be working from home, in fact started working about 5:45 after the call that school was cancelled. I'll end up getting loads more done today saving commuting time and interruptions. I like working from home because I can take mini thinking breaks, knowing I'll get even more done later when my detour from work work is done. Of course that means I have multiple computers and phones going as I toggle between work and personal. 

March is starting off with a spending bang as DD2 needed so many refills of her personal care products and we all were out of a lot of other items. We also did some meandering shopping, more convenience foods than I have been buying. That's OK as I'll reign in as the month goes on. Yet, we already are at $171 for March household and grocery spending, leaving a balance of $229 and it is only March 5th. Still, If I only shop one time per week, at the end of the week, that's only three shopping trips of $57 or less to stay on budget. I guess we will be doing a clean out the pantry meal plan at the end of the month. I haven't decided if I will count Easter shopping, knowing full well I will go over my March $400 budget, or keep it a discreet budget and put under entertainment. We already are at $26 for entertainment after getting take out last week. I am good at justifying moving around budget categories to suit spending, as long as I'm still not exceeding in both areas. Alos, with some of the beauty itesm, I bought 4 items when I only needed two for the month becasue of the sale price, plus the $5 Target card. I save the Target cards for min splurges, gift buying, or other like cash needs later, but I think I can justifably prorate $10.70 into April. 

My plan to just use DH's Kohl's anniversary money on underwear for him was a bust. I should have expected it soon, but DH declared he needed new shoes and pants for work. Granted, he is very rough on both and he didn't buy either since early fall. I'm annoyed though with him because he only bought the shoes, decent socks, and two pairs of pants. He spent just shy of $80, but didn't get new underwear, so that's still needed, and he might as well have gotten a thir pair of pants for work to get to the next level and earn another $10 in Kohl's cash. He has basic wardrobe needs, but stocking up would help the budget overall. I'll probably just get him a basic pack of underwear at Walmart the next time I'm near one since Kohl's evn on sale, are more expensive. It's my fault. He asked me to go along and I was too tired, plus had my own to do list. 

Really, no groceries or other items are needed until the end of the week. I think I can cook pretty well from what is here, particularly since we went off menu last week. Yesterday we had sort of a fend for yourself breakfast-brunch-lunch, but for supper I made a small  tuna hot dish with the leftover fettuccine noodles from last Wednesday, green beans, and some other odd amount leftovers we had lurking. Here are options for the week.


  • Crock pot Pasta Prima Vera
  • Wild rice soup, crackers and grilled cheese
  • Sloppy Joe's and potato crowns (like tator tots but flat)
  • Baked macaroni and cheese and steamed vegetables
  • Cheese and bean burritos and fajita rice
  • Leftovers at least once
  • Bean soup-from freezer that didn't get eaten last week), crackers and egg salad sandwiches
These are all merely suggestions, mind you. Someone might go rogue and decide to pick up something else. I think I;ll have the pasta prima vera ready for DH to plug in on Thursday, then knowing dinner is sorted, he might not feel compelled to shop.  How are you doing with your budget so early in March? Did anyone else have a great savings month in February, then sort of go off the rails like I'm feeling I've done?  

2 comments:

  1. I did not have a great February, but did move the engagement/proposal party to entertainment since it was not part of the regular budget.
    March looks like it is going to be a much better month with the exception of a medical expense that has to happen. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was ill in February, so not much buying. I did grab something fast food to eat, but still did not spend much at all.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.