Sunday, July 15, 2018

And in Other Life Happenings


I'm writing this post sitting in a McDonald's while my daughter is taking her ACT test. I was going to go to a coffee shop, but it was crowded, plus, I was a bit hungry and couldn't see spending $2.00 for coffee, plus another $3-$5 for a breakfast  pastry or sandwich. For under $2.25, I have coffee and a breakfast biscuit, plus still have free WiFi. Yes, McDonald's but their coffee is pretty decent, and a breakfast sandwich here or one reheated at a coffee shop is probably about the same quality.  I ran the few errands I had and could do in this town, and taking advantage of some time to do some household admin, work on my book, and, read some blogs. This is a random life happens kind of post. Thanks for joining me. 

For those that thought my coffee hack was a silly waster of time and  just go buy a new coffee pot for heavens sake, I get it! Sometimes it is just silly to try and save money and limp along with weird little hacks. This time, I was ready to commit to buying a new coffee maker of some sort, so this was only going to be temporary. But, Anne asked me if I had reset my Keurig after trying to clean out the hard water deposits that may have been the culprit. Eureka! A few more water cycles and fresh water to get the last of the vinegar out and I have a single use coffee maker working quite well again! I feel this odd sense of accomplishment that I didn't succumb to spend, spend, spend, replace, replace replace. If I want to buy something, hacks are a great tool to "buy" a little time, while trying to find a more permanent solution or use. 

While the project manager situation is still not resolved, and by resolved, the best I can hope for is getting him back for two weeks in July to do a more thorough knowledge transfer, the payment issue was resolved. Apparently it was a simple fix-a line of code to tell System A, that system B had made the transfer to System C, and System C made the payments,was missing. Had someone in IT understood how the systems intersect when the issue first surfaced, it could have been resolved as soon as identified. Instead, we spent over a week with people digging around, retracing code, being stumped, and ultimately figuring it out. My sleepless nights aside, I would estimate the cost of wasted staff time, multiple people, multiple hours, in the thousands. 

I never did find the oversized white shirt in thrift stores. I've been looking since spring. When in the big fancy grocery store in this town where I picked up laundry soap and TP on special, plus a fresh baked artisan Ciabatta bread, I looked in the "boutique" section. right on the rack was exactly what I had in mind, and clearance at $16. While much more than I was hoping to spend, it is a nice linen shirt that will be perfect for the rest of summer alone, as a cover up over a sleeveless shirt, or even as a light jacket. In fall and winter, it will work as a dress shirt under a suit jacket. To me, it was a bargain. There is a big Goodwill here, so when I leave McDonald's I'm going to take a look. I'd still like another cotton dress, one that could be casual with tennis shoes, or appropriate for a meal out with some sandals. I'll keep you posted if I find any worthy options. 

I like doodling math calculations and figuring out future spending needs. I still would really like to retire in nine years, DH in five, the summer after DD2 graduates college. While we have had experts calculate that we will be fine, there are investments in life I'd like to keep making after retirement that makes me think we need to bring in some additional income between my age 61 and age 67. Health insurance, and the big unknown of that cost is the culprit that makes me distrust our saving rate. Ideally, if we could either save or combination of save or earn approximately $675,000 by the time I am 67, in 14.5 years, any twinge or early retirement fear will go away. Considering the years DD2 is in college may be a spending/savings draw, we likely have no possible way to save that kind of money. Therefore, I'm noodling all the way we can have more passive income streams, or second career opportunities that we can do anywhere.  That will be part of DH's role in his four years of retirement before me-to figure out some of this stuff. He's good at it, but works too many hours now, plus has extended family commitments, and his own daughter to occupy his time and mind. Keep tuned. But hay, if you could encourage a few more readers to join you in following me, maybe I can grow this audience and have one of those careers as a Digital Nomad that the younger generation has mastered.


17 comments:

  1. I like McDonald's. My favorite buys there: a small cup of cappucino and/or a fish fillet in a round bun. Cheap, tasty, low-caloric.

    Vinegar is an amazing cleaning stuff! Not only that, but it's also antiseptic. I used to soak my feet in warm water+vinegar to get rid of a nail fungus. It helped.

    Enjoy your new shirt! Sounds like a good purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using an apple cider vinegar-baking soda combo on my feet, then using a soft wash cloth to get all the dry patches off my heels, toes, and just feet in general. It is amazing stuff.

      Delete
  2. Ha, don't I know all about the "noodling" of numbers! I've been doing nothing but for the last month - "can I retire? can't I?". I can and I know it but that churning feeling is rotten isn't it. At least I haven't got to worry about medical insurance as I can keep my (very good) insurance through my employer after I retire. My feeling is that you know what you are doing and are looking at all angles so I'm sure you'll make it. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literally looking at all options, all angles.

      Delete
  3. How to put this without sounding negative? Unless ambience and convenience are a concern, I would much rather bide my time in a McDonald's than an over priced coffee shop. Food wise, unless you are talking a locally owned and operated shop, there is no difference, other than price, in food offerings.

    In the neighboring town, the library is the most convenient location. While there is a a "no food or drink" policy, that particular branch is very accommodating, showing the areas where you are free to enjoy your coffee while reading the newspaper or working on your laptop.
    And $16 for something you plan on wearing multiple times/week over several seasons is NOTHING. You're well on your way to your one overheard, one under the seat European vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding libraries but I wad early plus this toem doesnt have one, i packed my worl suitcase and have losfs of extra room. No doubt we can pscm light,

      Delete
  4. Great hack on the Keurig, and because you found something as a cheap interim measure you totally saved the money on that one. If you can find the perfect wardrobe piece on sale when you've been looking for months you have no choice except to pull the trigger, sounds like it will be an important addition to your wardrobe. As for the $2.25 at McDonalds I would say money well spent for a couple of hours of peace, coffee and a snack. I am with Meg B, I have a really hard time justifying an $8 coffee and a $6 muffin at another coffee chain store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $8 or $6 was for bith but yes, quite expensive. I live the shirt and declare it s good buy.

      Delete
  5. SO happy the coffee dilemma is fixed, I mean really no coffee that is just a,just,a,....I can't go there. Where is my diet coke?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like McDonalds coffee and buy a large every Wednesday on my way to an a.m. commitment. It is the bet 1.50 I spend all week.
    Glad the reset hint helped. I had no idea you could even reset it until mine broke and I started googling possible solutions. Like you it was a success, but I was buying time using a French press while debating replacing it.
    I think retirement is always a scary proposition, because there are unknowns that just happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im still not sure what I did but hit buttons. I may still buy a new maker, eventually.

      Delete
  7. My friend and I meet at McDonald's once a week just to sit and chat - you can get a large diet coke for $1. I normally eat first so don't even get food - can't beat $1 with all the refills you want!

    Health insurance is our biggest issue - I don't work and am 8 years younger than dh - THANKFULLY he wants to work until at least 70 (he just turned 65) and his employer pays our health insurance, so we'll still have to worry about it when I'm about 61, but for now WHEW....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that sccess to health insurance is running my retirement planning but it id ehat it is.

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a delightful past time. Most people at McD eat and run so. The notion of someone sitting and contemplating is a nice vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seemed to be a few computer users enjoying free wifi.

      Delete
  9. We had to literally "spank" our Keurig and it broke up some sediment and started working again. go figure!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.