Saturday, July 14, 2018

On the Frugal Front

July is whipping our buts financially. Between work stress and meetings on the go, the 4th of July holiday, and pure lack of planning on my part, our household and grocery (H&G) and food budget is quite out of whack. We have spent $301.50 on groceries and household so far, and the month is less than half over. I'm out of town Monday through Wednesday next week, so need to shop and plan easy meals both DH and DD2 can eat with little fuss, so that will take a bigger bite. I've also had more meals than I'd like purchased for work. Some months are like that. The heat will surely impact our  electric and gas bill though we may not see the impact until the new budget cycle is recalculated. Gas for the car has been all over the map, up then down, then up again. We all need new comfortable shoes before the trip and I've decided I'm going to splurge and get my feet properly fitted, and buy the exact sandals that will keep my feet happy pounding the pavements of Europe. To off set all these costs, I still am looking for frugal gems. I found five frugal things for the week.

  1. Even though I bought several foods for convenience because of the hectic week, I earned $0.10 cents per gallon off on my next fill up of gas. I typically have a 5 cent coupon, and often 7 cents, but the added bit helps with fluctuating gas prices. 
  2. I had a free lunch on Tuesday at work through the wellness committee. These are rare and the programs are often iffy, usually a sales job, but this one actually had a nutrition workshop. Lunch was croissant sandwiches, hummus and veggies, and a banana.
  3. I took my girls out for coffee and breakfast items last Saturday, using gift cards. The girls knew the answer to the trivia question and we received a small discount. What is the name of the dragon in Disney's Mulan. No prize if you guess it, but play along. 
  4. To make up for my over priced meals on Tuesday and Thursday, Monday and Friday I packed leftovers. I ate the Israeli couscous and the over cooked in the crock pot dry pasta-no complaints. I keep reminding myself, croissants in France, pretzels in Germany, and waffles in Belgium.
  5. Because Pup is going to be a "guest" for two weeks, we are getting a $3 per day discount, plus she is willing to have him come super early the day we leave, saving a day. All together, this saves $68. 
It all helps. Last night DH and I had BLT's and coleslaw and ice cold beers left from the 4th of July holiday week. It cooled down enough after the rain that it was nice to be on the deck. DD2 worked, and then got right to bed. I'm dropping her off for her test instead of her driving herself as she is a little nervous going to the high school a town closer to St Paul. I suspect there will be kids from all over the south metro area, trying to fit one more round of scores in before they start applying for colleges in the fall. After that, she works again tonight at 5:00 and tomorrow at 11:00. She has really developed a good work ethic, picking up the shift today. She has a savings account, but we need to get her a checking/debit account so she is prepared to live away next year. She is going to have a good amount to start the account with as she has spent very little of her earnings and tips. It will be a worker bee weekend for me before packing and leaving on a business trip. There is a break in the heat coming, so time outside is a must for the weekend as well. Enjoy your Saturday. 

8 comments:

  1. You know no matter what you are still going to Europe and you can deal with the fallout when you get home. Just go enjoy and let the chips fall. I am so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, work will survive while I'm gone. I'm going to savour every minute away.

      Delete
  2. Croissants in France, pretzels in Germany, waffles in Belgium.....I'd eat dried out pasta EVERY DAY to be able to look forward to that!!! I'm living vicariously through you this year since we aren't going anywhere, so make sure I eat REALLY well, lol!!!! Am I going to the Louvre? I REALLY want to go to the Louvre????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will bring you with to the Louvre! I'm really looking forward to Musee D'Orsy and all the Van Gogh's.

      Delete
    2. I actually did a cross-stitch pattern of Starry Night - I think they have it there, don't they?

      Delete
    3. I think the Starry Night is in New York. I looked it up. My favorite so a bit disappointed.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.