Friday, July 13, 2018

Feeling Good Friday-Keeping it Together Edition

My insomnia this week at least has an identifiable root case. You may recall my story about our IT department deciding not to renew the contract of my project manager, and only giving a two business day notice? Well, a major problem happened with the fiscal year change over, and surprise, no one remaining has any knowledge, or enough knowledge to pinpoint where in the system the trouble  is stemming from. Therefore, no one can begin to resolve. right now so $1.5 million dollars in payments are floating somewhere in command sphere between our software for the program and the system that makes payments happen. If not resolved by Monday, add another million to that total. It's a situation that ultimately I can't resolve, but it is my stakeholder base impacted. 

On a slightly positive work note, the system didn't crash for my team with new payroll codes, always dicey with the change of fiscal year. A poor colleague though had nearly eight hours off and on with HR and Accounts Payable trying to get her teams time sheets to go through the system without error. Technically my card and one other staff should have erred as well because I learned after they processed, a wrong code was in the default set up by AP. D, my colleague, had a very rude message from the supervisor in that area stating if she didn't have them corrected by 12:00 Wednesday, no one in the division would get paid. Sorry? You're the part of the division  who screwed up the set up which originated the problem and you threaten no one will be paid-unacceptable. She didn't sleep well either that night. Now we wait and see if everyone gets paid next Friday. 

There must be something good going on, while trying to keep it together. Let's look for that, shall we? Just a note before you read, there is nothing on the health front this week. I know I need to make it  priority, but it wasn't. I'm up and typing this post, so that says something though. 

  •  It stormed last night for about an hour hard and we lost power about 8:15.  I could work from the lap top as the battery was fully charged and spent two hours on my book. I did some reworking of the order of the story and added more narrative. How long does a book, really a loosely connected collection of short stories, with one central character, need to be? 
  • DD2 got her AP exam tests back on Monday. I'm so proud of her as she got a 4 on the English Comp and Literature, and a 5 on the American History. She thought she would do well enough for college credit or pass on the English side, but was ecstatic to learn her history score. Both her top schools right now accept these scores for college credit. She also received a notice form one of the two schools that she has priority consideration and will require no application fee, is fast tracked for scholarship consideration, and automatically is invited for a choir audition, no preview recording needed, because of her All State honors. We'll see how much they want her when the actual scholarships are awarded.
  • Despite the IT stress at work, my immediate team is starting to gel. We had a six hour mini retreat yesterday, having lunch and a team building exercise, followed by deep dives into the transition between fiscal years, planning for next year, and starting to look at a 1-3 year plan. 
  • We have arrangements for pup for the trip. We decided it would not work out for our friends to have him. he has more energy than both their dogs together. Apparently after their play date, their little guy was having  peeing accidents in their house. A woman I know from volleyball has a kennel/doggie day care and she ended up having an opening. Because it is more like doggie daycare and less like boarding, there is very limited space. It worked out well with the timing of her own families vacation. His care while we are gone is my one angst about the trip, but I feel relieved now.
  • One smidge health related positive. I went to another Wellness Team talk-I think it was actually the same one as last years. If nothing else, it upped my commitment to get sugar, white flour, and, processed meats out of my diet. 
There, I came up with five. Hopefully next week the positive things related to health and well being will flow. I realize most of these were not specifically health and well being, but the counter definitely would have felt like unneeded weight on my shoulders. I hope you have a positive and wellness focused week. 


8 comments:

  1. DD2 - well done! She's a bright kid with a big future ahead of her.
    You don't need a wellness team talk - just do it: get rid of sugar (not only white), minimize flour (all types),give up processed products. And don't forget the 1250 calories per day; anything else is just a waste of time, and there's no time, as weight affects health and mood. I had knee problems before I decided to lose weight. It was the right idea; nothing helped except losing a few kilograms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep saying though, if it was just that easy, there would be no problems with obesity or being overweight. I get your sentiment and agree, but execution is not the same as agreeing.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it great that having a kid do well is a also a huge payoff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She works very hard. Some subjects come easy, but she studies a lot-I mean a lot! Her last ACT (hopefully) is tomorrow. She has her sites on a certain score, so fingers crossed she is well positioned to think well tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. good luck with the diet. Your microbiome will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you. I had to Google the word! A microbiome is "the ecological community of commensal, symbiotic, and pathogenic microorganisms that literally share our body space."

      Delete
  4. Awesome news about your daughter. Not so awesome news (stress) about work. I hope the situation gets resolved. I wouldn't be able to sleep either. I have to up my commitment to eating better too. I've gained back 6 of the 13 pounds I lost. Keeping it off is so hard and since I've been off work for the summer, I go to the kitchen looking for a snack way too often. Argh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to report the financial situation is resolved! the PM situation is not. Had we had an informed PM, the entire situation would have been resolved the same day as it turned out to be a simple fix, but no one had the back ground to know where to find the error. She is a dolly. I hope she finds her passion and the right school. Her school success is opening many doors-she just need to choose one to go through.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.