Monday, October 22, 2018

Business of Life

My home admin from last week bled into yesterday. I am happy to say the college application, ACT, transcript, and FAFSA stuff is done for DD1's top three choices. Well, she has another stretch college, but unless she gets a minimum of $40 K a year in scholarships, it's not on the table, though we know a family whose daughter did receive that much. Her grades and activities are similar to DD2's, so still possible.The Friday visit was more successful than I thought it was going to be. She talked with a few folks from part of her interest area. She needs to learn a lot more about how her credits will transfer and what will be counted. She went from two probable choices to now three. She won't have to make a decision for a few months, once she learns if she is accepted and scholarship package. She will turn her attention now to local or  independent from which college scholarships.

We have someone coming to look at the door tomorrow-quote on the door and installation. DH wants at least two bids, but has gotten some back of an envelope estimates on what it should cost. No real time to loose as frost was on the windows this morning and I'd rather not have it come through the door. Even pup shook with the chilliness this a.m., but it looks sunny now.  I'd like to skip work and take advantage of the sun.

I am working from home this morning, but then going to a visitation and funeral for my brother in law's dad. As I'll be out of the office most of the week, I need to go in at least for the afternoon. I'm meeting with a staff on her performance review. It is a fine review, but she will not be happy with a few goals and direction I need to give her, though it will not be anything new. My plane leaves early and meetings start at 12:00 and go until 8:00, with another 12 hour day on Wednesday. Thursday we end at 12:00, getting me home in time to make DD2's children's orchestra concert. It will be a whirlwind week. Life is open for business.


6 comments:

  1. My oh my brings back memories. I hated that Fafsa it still give me nightmares. But then I did that darn thing for 17 straight years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since most of it links to our tax return, it's not a lot to fill out, but a bother. We know she'll get nothing for needs based, but in order to start so many of the merit based scholarships it seems to be required.

      Delete
  2. I am glad to be out of the Fafsa business. What a pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a necessary part of college now-even with no needs based needs.

      Delete
  3. Crikey, I don't understand a word of what you just wrote about Fafsa (but then why would I), but you do seem to be full on at the moment. Good job you are so organized. Can you imagine what it would be like if you weren't. And good luck to your daughter with her scholarships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not feeling organized-why it bled into another week. The stress was more figuring out how to get transcripts transferred as there is a new systems nd company. You no longer just contact the high school as they have outsourced this action.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.