Sunday, October 21, 2018

Meal Planning When You are Away

I'm out of town for work Tuesday morning through Thursday night. Three nights worth of meals when DH and DD2 are on their own. With work and school schedules, I want to leave them easy meals they can just warm up and be off. I ended up making vegetarian lasagne for today since DD1 is coming over to watch football with her dad. There should be a portion or two left over for one the two for supper. DH also had a rogue shop, plus with my overage from the week of October 13th, I was left with only $35 for shopping to take into this week. I ended up running a couple errands yesterday, just because it was so sunny and it felt like a good time to get things done, so included a quick grocery run. I was in and out quickly with only the items I needed for my menu and around the house. I still have $5.90 left plus my budget starting Friday of $67.50 towards mt October $400 target. Since I've started to do my shopping on Fridays, this menu starts Saturday.

Saturday: Leftovers-soup, chicken strips, salads
Sunday: Vegetarian lasagna with  bread, salad
Monday: Chow Mein with rice and noodles (leftover portion for DD2 Wednesday)
Tuesday: Chili and corn bread (just needs heating up as I'll make Monday night)
Wednesday: Heat and Eat night-leftover chili, chow mein, and lasagna
Thursday: Pork chops, mashed potatoes, apple sauce (DH is off and he can use the crock pot and use packet potato's which he bought or just do baked in microwave)
Friday: Take and Bake Pizza, salad (will be part of my shop on Friday on my way home from work)

Here is what I bought for meals above and things we've run out of. The $5.90 leaves a bit to stop for bread and bananas after work Monday, I'm confident the $67.50 will be more than a sizeable amount for the last shop of the month on Friday.
  • Chow Mein ingredients and noodles
  • Lasagnes noodles
  • mozzarella cheese
  • cottage cheese
  • eggs
  • milk
  • Clearance Italian bread and a baguette
  • cereal
  • bananas
  • Apple juice
  • strawberry lemonade
It is not an exciting weekly meal plan, but suits our preferences and moods. Our meals changed  up this past week, which meant I still had chili fixings and the pork chops, plus loads of potatoes to bring into the week, and there is some ground turkey in the freezer as well. I've got both canned and frozen vegetables and loads of apples and a few oranges. We've been going through bananas pretty quickly, so those are a weekly buy. We should be able to manage our five a day. 

While I feel we are getting in a rut, this menu will keep the two of them fed without getting take out. Last week with DD2 off school, she and DH went out for lunch  Thursday and spent some time together, and then again on our college visit trip, she and I ate out. Too much eating out this month! It would be nice to skinny the grocery and household plan and under spend Friday. What's been on your table lately? Any good new fall foods to try? 

5 comments:

  1. We have several apple trees, and have been getting fresh apples since late August, with no end in sight. I am trying to find recipes to use them up. Last night it was apple turnovers made with a of puff pastry I found on quick sale for $0.99 pack. Somehow, for Dh's birthday, which is in October, it became the tradition for the kids to find a cake recipe we have never had before. They picked nutmeg cake with caramel icing, and it was terrific. Very autumnal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like an apple jam recipe-not butter. If you find one, let me know.

      Delete
  2. I do leave food when I'm away, and also plan for one meal out to be realistic.

    For fall food, I make a rice pilaf dish that we love. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hazelnut-Mushroom-Pilaf/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe%20Search%20Results

    I make a few modifications. I use almonds instead of hazelnuts, as we typically have those around. I also double the recipe, to have lots of leftovers, and at the end, add chopped cooked chicken & shredded parmesan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they end up eating out, so be it. I'm at least going to make the effort.

      Delete
  3. I remember using my crockpot so much when the kids were young and I was on the run between studios and theaters. But Hub's was always good at opening a can of beans.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.