Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Posh Hotels

I'm staying in a very nice hotel in Kansas City Missouri. It is right downtown, though I was in a meeting within 15 minutes of getting to the hotel so have not seen much of the area. We took a couple site visits across the river and while still in Kansas City, we were no longer in Missouri, but of course, Kansas. We were back by 5:00 to the hotel, checked into my room, and back down stairs for a reception, dinner, and evening meeting. Not having a morning commute other than to walk down the hall and the elevator, I got some e-ails returned this morning, and now am lounging in my luxurious king size bed. I didn't take a picture of the bed-too rumpled, but look at this dream shower and the desk area. I might actually get my crap together if I worked from an organized place like this each day.




I'm not too fussy with my hotels and motels. I want clean, comfortable bed, and good water pressure in the shower. In room coffee is a bonus as is some sort of breakfast to help save time stopping before starting the day. We have a working breakfast but the in room Keurig is sure appreciated. Since this room was booked as part of the meeting, I didn't have a choice, but this is on the posher side than something I would select. There is too much impracticality and wasted space for one person with simple wants in life. 

I think Ive shared before that I don't sleep well in hotels when I'm not with y family. Last night was no exception. I couldn't get the room temperature right-too warm, so I was tossing in and out of the sheets. I did get a few solid hours though because my alarm actually work me up-that rarely happens. My day starts soon, so I'll leave you with a question. What is your standards when searching for hotel rooms? do you go for practical and simple, or are you apt to splurge a bit?

8 comments:

  1. I rarely go anywhere other than our Gulf Coast home, but when DH and I traveled a lot, we stayed in nice places at my insistence. He wasn't much of a traveler, (which is odd, considering what he did for a living) but came around to enjoying it more when we stayed at nicer places than what he would have booked. The man's idea of luxury travel before meeting me was a cruise, if that gives you any idea. I have a minimum standard in terms of location and amenities. I was a little less picky in Europe than the Caribbean, since we were gone all day in Europe. But, I had to have a decent restaurant/bar/lobby to relax after a long day of travel.I would book something along the lines of an Intercontinental family of hotels--basic business class. In the Caribbean, it had to be top notch, because we would mostly stay at the resort/on the beach. When DH and DS drive to our Gulf Coast place, DS imposes the minimum standard as well. One time, they wound up at a Motel 6--after wandering around for a few moments, DS came back to the room and told DH they had to leave. They travelled another hour or so before they hit an acceptable place. From that moment on, DS said "nothing less than a Hampton Inn Suites
    When the other kids and I fly out to our Gulf Coast place, we typically stay at an airport hotel the night before our flight. Again, there are places I just won't consider, even for one night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If clean, comfortable, and a decent shower, I am good. I couldn't afford to travel, even for little get aways or my daughters activities, as often as we want to if I implored higher standards. People are all different-when I travel, the hotel is the least of my priorities, but for work, since I am stuck usually putting in 10-12 hour days, I am perfectly willing to accept the extras.

      Delete
  2. As long as the bed's clean I'm ok. Your hotel does look rather nice though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For working, the bed and desk are great to spread out as after 10 or so hours in meetings, I still have e-mails and other stuff to do.

      Delete
  3. I appreciate a good hotel room.
    What I want most is quiet and free Wifi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should add free WIFI to my list. Seems the icer hotels charge for this though.

      Delete
  4. It depends! On the road, I just want a decent clean place to sleep but when on vacation, I like NICE. Let me say the Grand Floridian in Orlando is awesome- I can't wait to go back. I've stayed at several others in Orlando including the Contemporary, but IMO the Grand Floridian is The One.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I replied, but I agree if the hotel is part of the actual vacation, nice pool and amenities that I'll be able to enjoy are a bonus. Usually, we are out and about so just head back to sleep.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.