Friday, October 19, 2018

Little Splurges of the Week

While I'm watching the pennies trying to recoup our vacation fund, get some home improvements done, and get that youngest employable, I spend when not required from time to time. Nothing was expensive, but extended our cash flow a bit. Some weeks will be like that. DD2 and I are heading out of town and we'll have donuts on the drive up to Duluth and lunch out as well. This will most likely be her last exploring college visit before she has to go on a campus for any auditions, but that will be once she is accepted and is fairly decided where she will attend. 
  • A high school friend, with wife this time, were in the cities to see their daughter at college. I had not met his wife before. I and a few other friends met them at the new brewery last night. They were already enjoying a flight to determine what they wanted, so when I got my beer, I bought one for each of them through the beer board" where a person can buy a future beer for a friend. Of course they had theirs last night. Buying a beer for a friend is a treat. 
  • Twice this week I stopped on route for massive high caffeinated coffees. When you have to get a big project out the door, coffee, good coffee, no longer is a want but a need. 
  • Apple picking-on my thrift list because of the local connection-but also on my splurge list. Sure the apples come out to a $1 per apple, but so does a candy bar. Aren't I healthy?
  • Along with coffee needs, people have been stretched pretty thin, heating up a quick can of soup between meetings, or over their keyboard or skipping lunch. Yesterday, we splurged on pizza for the team. A definite moral and energy booster. November 6th-it will all be done. 
  • I got extra tickets for my oldest brother and his wife and DD1 for DD2's concert. Her grandmother is out of town, we weren't sure if DH would make it (he did), but she loves having her family at her concerts. My oldest brother is my Godfather, and he and his wife are DD2's Godparents and really have taken on the role of extra grandparents since my parents have passed away. 
I'm not eating out in Michelin star restaurants and buying rounds for the entire bar. Giving myself a little TLC is a good thing, and being able to provide a small treat from time to time for others makes life good. 

10 comments:

  1. All sound like good wins. I used flight credits to buy a flight for my sister to come to visit in May. Flights were the lowest I've seen them in years, & using the credits was an easy fix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to enjoy yourself when you work so hard. No reason to justify. I know I don't

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes loosening the purse strings is the only way to keep on this track, isn't it, an yes you do work hard so don't need to justify it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to splurge but if more than occasionally, it's just routine and not a treat.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you work with a fun team! and what I would give for someone to buy ME coffee... nice idea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a very considerate boss and terrific co-workers.Nothing is perfect but they are a good bunch to get through challenges.

      Delete
  5. I think little affordable indulgences are a great mental boost that no one has to justify

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Affordable and occasional makes them worth it to me. I'll be a tightwad this week!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.