Saturday, October 20, 2018

Nothing Day


I have nothing on my calendar for today. Nothing has to be done. I don't have to leave the house if I really don't feel like it, short of walking the dog. That's my only obligation. We'll eat from the fridge, leftovers and odd salad bits. I may feel like baking, but if I do not, no one is expecting it, so no one will notice if I don't. 

I started today without setting an alarm, usually not necessary as I wake on my own, but I set it each night. Still no alarm meant no reminders of having to be anywhere.  I made DD2 and I a delicious breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast with an avocado. The three I bought last Friday have finally ripened, so breakfast treat for us both, and two more to spare. 

We all get our massive lists of To Do . It's refreshing to think about a day that has no deadlines or time constraints. Of course my list of shoulds is long and I'll do much of those today. Laundry is going as I type. The dining room clutter is just annoying so I intend to put that room to rights-but by choice, not a feeling of obligation. 

I finally got a new shower curtain liner and on my nothing day, I think I'll take the old, but still fine shower curtain down to wash, and put up the new liner and clean curtain and freshen up the bathroom. Oh heck, the whole darn thing might as well get a good cleaning in all the crevices if I am going to freshen the shower curtain. Won't DH be surprised when he comes home to order on a day when I told him I was perhaps going to do nothing ? 

I invited DD1 over to hang with me as I clean, or don't clean, do more laundry, or not. She has her own plans and may or may not be able to. It's nice having her close, to have this option. If she does come, maybe I'll push leftovers to tomorrow and make vegetarian chili for tonight. Today is freedom to decide on the spot what works. 

How is your Saturday shaking out? Are you being a productive sloth, as I am going to refer to myself, or are you intentionally maximizing your Saturday? However you choose, I hope you have the option to make the most of it on your terms. We only get one of them a week. 

18 comments:

  1. Enjoy your day! I'm enjoying mine (on very similar lines).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Days without requirements are a luxury. I hope you enjoy the flexibility of the day. It's funny how even a projects or chores you choose to do seem easier if there is no schedule assigned to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was mildly productive and was able to decompress a bit.

      Delete
  3. I love days with no obligations. Funny, but I DO set an alarm on the weekend, because I like the luxury of turning it off, knowing I can go back to sleep and ignore it if I choose. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely have nothing scheduled so despite waking without, it's my insurance to not oversleep.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes it's nice to do chores, not because you have to but because you wish too. Enjoy your precious free day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a couple pesky ones done. Today I hope to be intentionally productive if my knee cooperates.

      Delete
  5. I agree with Anne - you still seem to get loads done but it's somehow easier without the obligation. I've just had a day like that. Ok, I went to the market, shopping, the tip and so on but came home and decided to make a Thai green chicken curry and a rice pudding with what we call "confiture de lait" (like a caramel sauce) because I want to start using up stuff hanging around in the fridge. To be honest, it has been bliss. I did feel maybe I'm just winding down to retirement but you may be right - just having nothing scheduled is heaven enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't cook a thing but using items in the fridge felt productive if that makes sense. Today I have a real list but will keep the relaxed mind set I hope.

      Delete
  6. Hi Sam,

    A day of just pottering is perfect for recharging your batteries. I hope you have a really mellow time.

    I made the mistake of going to see my football (soccer) team, Newcastle United play. We lost! In fact, we haven't won all season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had your football, soccer to us, while mindlessly folding laundry.

      Delete
  7. Well I did get to sleep as late as I wanted so that was great, but my day is full of to do's. Which all definitely need to be Ta done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your days seem filled beyond space on a calendar. I hope it went well.

      Delete
  8. Sounds so fabulous! The boys had an early soccer game, so I was up at 6, and we were out of the house by 6:45. On the flip side, at least we were done with soccer, Costco, and errands by 11. It's been nice to have time, I vacuumed, M & I worked in the yard, and I'm about to embark on a complicated dinner prep, which I enjoy when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DD2 driving meant no obligation for me. Simetimes getting the business done early feels like having a fresh start.

      Delete
  9. Good for you! Try to have nothing days more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet nect year I'll have more than I want once the kid is at college. I'll try not to over compensate.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.