Thursday, October 25, 2018

Thirfty Thursday-Tracking During the Week

I started this post on Saturday so I could add to it as the week goes on. I'm still out of town for work, scheduled to be home about 5:00. Then, I'll zip from the airport tot he high school for my daughters last Children's Concert of her school days. Traveling for work is not frugal. We have a pretty slim per diem, though the meetings the last few days have had breakfast, lunch, and even Tuesday dinner covered so only last night did my expenses exceed the $20 allowance for dinner.  Even though the meeting ends at 12:00, the meeting hosts have arranged for box lunches to take along to the airport-very kind and probably much better than the airport offerings. So besides leaving my family with  a meal plan while gone, though I suspect some take out will happen, and not succumbing to expensive airport crap, here are a few thrifty wins for the week.

  • DD2 and I brought breakfast with us on the road trip for her final college visit, with a splurge on coffee and fresh baked donuts, but no expensive drive through meals. We ate the lunch specials at Old Chicago having leftovers that we ate for supper when we got home- too much food for lunch, plus with the cookies and meat, cheese, and crackers provided at the resource fair, the leftovers were more than enough for supper. 
  • She got some nice swag, a great winter hat and a draw string tote bag for pre-registering for the college tour. Both will be used-and this college is now on her short list. It will come down to scholarships and transfer-ability of her current credits. 
  • I've wanted a Show Choir Parent jacket, but only have a long sleeve t-shirt. You have to look the part (LOL and cue eye rolls from a few of you). An alumni mom was going to sell her jacket on the Facebook site, but remembered I had mentioned I might get one. I ended up buying her like  new jacket for $15 instead of $40. I'll pass it on to another mom next year. 
  • As suspected, DH picked up frozen pizza.s, but they were on sale, so not too big a dent into my food budget. This was less expensive than take out pizza. 
  • DD2 used a free Chipotle burrito certificate through her schools excel program on Wednesday when she was running between activities. Good grades have some perks. Before anyone jumps on my kids school, they also give the perks to kids that have met academic goals, so students that are working hard, but may to be getting top grades are also encouraged to set goals and make them. 
 Not a huge savings week, but also we didn't blow the checking account. I got some great news that I will be receiving an excellence award through work. This actually comes with a little cash bonus, rare in my world. I was happy to be nominated for it, but happy to receive. I will use towards meeting our year end goals-perhaps it will cover the front door costs. That's what I have for the week. How about you?

12 comments:

  1. Congrats on your award! It's nice to be recognized. Food/eating out is the hardest area to stay on budget, I guess because it is a multiple time a day requirement. We ended up getting takeout last night, cheaper than eating in a restaurant though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be a fortune, but in these tight times, every dollar helps.

      Delete
  2. Hey I am not rolling my eyes, I think it is important that we support our children. How do we thing we can get them to support us someday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just didn't want anyone to think that her school doesn't support all kids with incentives. School does not come easily for every child and the fact that they can have unique to them goals and earn the excel awards is great motivation.

      Delete
  3. Many congrats on your award for all your hard work Sam.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased withthe recognition-and the little bump in pay.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the recognition - and as for the award - every little helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep underestimating how much things are going to cost. It will not pay for the door, but will help.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your professional reward.
    Some weeks the frugality is simply in not over spending. No matter what anyone says, life has a cost and some weeks are just more expensive than others, especially when you are visiting campuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being mindful and not wasteful is being thrifty. I have expenses, but try not to waste. The campus visits are a good time investment.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your award- that's awesome. I still work and just a few compliments will make my day- my clients all have disabilities and often forget to thank anyone if they ever learned manners in the first place. I've been cleaning out my pantry and made some black bean soup from dried black beans- not real tasty but frugal, yes. Now to start it on the rice which I have never been a big fan of (I much prefer potatoes) but seem to buy a different kind for a particular recipe. If I don't use it soon, out it goes. I've opened the bags so can't give them away unless I know someone in need of rice- I don't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bean soup is a win in my books. I have a good version that costs pennies a serving, though my youngest isn't a huge fan.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.