Friday, November 16, 2018

Five Frugal Friday Things

I  keep missing Thrifty Thursday so Frugal Friday it is. I  look for opportunity to not spend or minimize my out of pocket while trying to manage the expensive things in my life and rebuild our savings. Some weeks are better than others. This week was pretty unspectacular, but neither was it off the rails or more than the budget. 

  1. I used a 7 cents per gallon of gas text coupon. I'll keep the 90 cents, thank you.
  2. Lunch "out" with my older daughter on our Monday off was reheated vegetable and three bean soup from her freezer. The charm of her new place has not worn out for her, and for me, it was nice to be served.
  3. Our division got frugal with each of us packing a Tuesday meeting meal ,leftover tacos, for Wednesday. It all would have been thrown.
  4. While under whelming, DD1 and I had some free entertainment browsing the ladies night open shops. We also went to a tiny village pump and market, saw super cute holiday decor, and had some wine samples. We genuinely needed or wanted nothing, so nothing spent. 
  5. I by passed getting $1.00 off per bottle of the wine if three were purchased. There was only one of the wines we liked enough to actually buy, and when I heard the price per bottle, I know we have several other regulars that we like just as much for 1/2 the cost. I frugally decided to buy my regular wines for Thanksgiving.
As I said, nothing spectacular, but I didn't spend money needlessly. It is really tempting to see the pretty displays and want to replicate at home. My wardrobe is dull, and the pretty scarfs and shawls make basic outfits on mannequins look pulled together. I need to pause and remember I have loads of wonderful holiday decorations, more than I could possibly put out. I have the wardrobe items to pull together nicer work and play combinations already in my closet-I just need to figure out and be bold with different combinations, not buy more stuff. No huge wins, but lots of practicality this last week. For those of you economizing, what's your one frugal principle you always apply?

4 comments:

  1. It is funny but the easiest way to save money is to realize you already have every thing you need at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you absolutely. Most of us already DO have everything we need don't we. Oh and Sam, well done on not buying that wine. It is always tempting to buy something because it is a "deal" but if your regular wine choice is cheaper even without the coupon it makes sense to stick with that doesn't it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks you both. Other than food, and may be some new trouser socks and tights (I still haven't replaced!) I need nothing. And, I like Little Penguin and Barefoot wines-a lot!

      Delete
  2. Frugal Friday has a better ring to it although Fridays (it seems ) ought to be the one day to have a bit of 'splurge'.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.