Thursday, October 22, 2020

Thrifty Thursday-How I Made $23,160 an Hour

As I wrote on Thrifty Thursday last week, I am still looking at small economy savings, but I have a biggie to share later in the post. With my thrift, it applies to other things than money such as trying to reduce waste and make the most of the hours in my days. My mind set for that last one is in need of a recharge though. We learned on Monday from HR that  we now will be  Work From Home at least until the end of the school year, so mid June. Another eight months! Regardless of your views on the pandemic, I'll do what I need to do to keep myself and family safer so as not to tax the health care system, while doing my part to not unknowingly spread the virus. If that means another eight months working from home so be it. 

      Time 

  • I had a glorious 90 minute walk and tea meet-up with a dear friend. I haven't seen her in person in nearly a year, and virtual coffee has been a couple months as well. We had to keep rescheduling this due to work and she also had a cabin week before ours, but ended up with a perfect day for a long walk. 
  • A quick pop into the Farmers market and then to get apples with my daughter was a nice venture out, supporting local  producers and farmers at the same time. 
  • The time spent  with my daughter helping me set up a different work area was well timed, and I wish I had done it much earlier! Thrifty on the long run and a way to make my time working form home better, I splurged and ordered a ergonomically supportive desk chair to use with the desk. The different space is working well so far. 
  • I made soup and apple crisp (vegan) on Sunday for the football game. My daughter joins her dad to watch the misery of the season. 
  • DH offered to shop for me, and stay to my list, so I accepted and watched a cheesy fall themed Hallmark movie. I didn't even know they had a fall series of movies. Hokey, predictable, unrealistic, but man, sometimes, I like hokey, predictable, and unrealistic. . 

Resources
  • Prior to all the snow, DH mowed the grass, mulching all the dead leaves finely and spread into the yard. We hate raking, unless it is for a good fun leave pile, and this is so good for our yard. 
  • Do you remember my vegan boxed brownie recipe hack, where I used a mashed bananas for the egg? I froze half the batch last month but this week I was craving chocolate. The were OK but looked  a little sticky. I took a small handful of frozen strawberries, thawed them in the microwave, put on top of the brownie's and warmed them both again. OMG-this may be my new go to desert. Try it! I've had them every day this week for an afternoon tea break, and will have the last two today. 

    Money

    • I had a $5 credit to put towards the office chair. The chair itself was on sale, and because I got in brown, not the white or black, it already was $35 cheaper. I guess people don't like brown office chairs or there was a glut! I would have chosen brown anyway as it would be softer colored for the space than either black or white. It comes November 2.
    • I layered a sale and 30% coupon to buy DD1 a long warm coat for her birthday gift. While a bit more than I might normally spend on birthday gifts, it was a need as much as something she has wanted as she works outside in all kinds of weather. I also earned $20 in Kohls cash, plus some more points towards Kohls rewards..
    • The $20 Kohls cash was used to towards two pairs of Levi's for DH, that were on sale for buy one, get one 1/2 off. He only wears Levi's, has for probably 40 years, and he was in dire need of new ones. This also got me over the $10 mark for Kohls' rewards, so will have those after the first of the month. I was a bit shy for free delivery, but found bath towels, in green, on clearance and our downstairs bathroom uses green so ordered two. Most of our towels need replacing so this was a nudge to do so. 
    • And the biggy-we had received a bill for the actual doctor that performed my throat endoscopy back in July-for a whopping $1960 that supposedly had already went through insurance. We had questioned back in July when bills for co-payments and deductibles came if everything was now in, and were surprised it was so low. Well, think again. Well, to phone calls, totally less than five minutes (amazing no hold times) and I found out insurance had denied the claim because it wasn't a referral, but when I called insurance, they had it coded as an out of network office visit. When I explained it was part of the same Emergency room visit and  surgery, of which they had already covered, it was quickly corrected, all but the $30 co-payment. Multiply that  savings for five minutes of a call, and I  earned $23,160  proportionately for my time. Always call on medical bills if you get an unexpected bill. 
    • Now I need to figure out how to use $800 in my pretax account as only $500 will roll forward. I do need an eye exam and perhaps new glasses and sun glasses. DH's colonoscopy was deferred and he has yet to reschedule so will be next year as it takes months to get those on the books. When I planned my set aside, I put the Out of Pocket deductible amount, but also had carry over last year, and was planning both DH's procedure and my sleep mouth guard cost. That's delayed as well.
         With DH's shop, we're a bit over $400-I lost a couple details, but perhaps $410 for all food purchases, including take out and restaurant, health and beauty, and household. Considering we had a week of  vacation, I think we are doing OK. We will have odds and end purchases, some items I may need that DH wasn't able to get-or I'll do without. Of course we will have the bill for the items we ordered, but all were in the needs category, or just a twinge of want. How about your wins or  spurges for the week? Did you splurge on something but find a great deal? Will you select the lower cost version of the same item if you only had a choice of one color? What's you biggest win  from challenging a bill?  

    P.S. I may have mentioned, but if not here it is and will be a note for my next few posts. If you have a small business you'd like to refer, particularly if they have an on-line presence, please share a link or e-mail me at samandcoffee65@gmail.com. I have a series of upcoming posts on Monday's to promote shopping and using our funds perhaps differently this year. If your own Etsy or E-bay seller spot, that's great. I'd love a little story about the proprietor-the why's of the business, what makes them tick. I know this seems counter to just sharing my Kohls' success, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to source Levi's or the kind of coat my daughter  needed elsewhere. My goal is progress towards steering my funds away from big business, but not expecting perfection. 

    28 comments:

    1. Awesome job on the insurance call! Those ones tend to be the highest value time exchange for sure.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I appreciate the efficiency that the staff a tmy insurance took with hearing the details while looking at the claim, and giving me a specific timeline to resolve-which was met.

        Delete
    2. I like your conversion of time spent on the phone call with the insurance co. into real hourly dollars.
      I spend a bit more now and then on my kids birthday presents to fill a need. Years ago one son needed new tires. It was when he had just started his career and tires were not in his budget, so rear tires were his gift that year. Right after that he started a car repair fund, so he would not be caught off guard again.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You know me-I like my calculations on time costs, food costs, recipes. A number geek. I have reeived manay gifts form my parents over the years for item tha tI knew stretched thier normal budget, but they knew it was a need at the time, and was very appreciative. My daughter was thrilled, and very appreciative. She makes a good income, but she is saving for a house, so I know she wouldn't have splurged on her won. We've both looked at thrift stores, but coast like this just do not come in as people wear them for decades. This will be my 5th year with my long black Columbia. Safe cars are a necessary when starting out life-a practical gift to be sure to replace the tires.

        Delete
    3. We too are taking what ever steps necessary to not tax the healthcare system as well. We will stay home as much as possible until needed. I'm glad you had a good walk and meetup with your friend. It's so nice to make a real connection with friends. That's great that you splurged and bought an ergonomically supportive desk chair to use with your desk. A splurge is sometimes just the thing we need to make ourselves feel better. I highly recommend them from time to time. LOL

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Part of the reason I almost insisted on buying my daughter the coat is to help ensure she has good quality winter gear so she keep with her walks and meet-ups as it gets colder. It will be essential fo rher to have face to face connections with people. While the chair was a splurge, it is also a need, and justified by it being paid for with two week sof commuting gas saved.

        Delete
    4. Doctors offices and insurance companies make a lot of mistakes on billing, that's for sure. I remember a $2000 blood test DH needed done in testing for his muscle problem. I had it preauthorized by our insurance company. They of course denied the claim as not covered. I had to make a few calls, but luckily I had date, time and name of person who approved it and they found it in their records and covered it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. This was I'm sure a coding error of office visit, and no one noticed the date or location was part of the surgery. I shouldn't be, but am amazed at how little it took to resolve.

        Delete
    5. Buying anything brown is never an option for me. Of course, mostly, a chair is not seen when using. Plus, maybe a nice brown, but I cannot think about owning anything brown. I do like brown furniture...lol. I have cut corners elsewhere and done without to avoid brown.

      I had the information out to call and determine why a $350 charge was denied by insurance. I hate doing these calls but always do call.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, good thing you don't live with me as I have lot's of brown furniture. I even intentionally painted my kitchen tale top brown as I like the warmth it brings.

        Delete
    6. Excellent job on the insurance call! Sounds like you did great overall. I have my little Instagram used book shop @Little_Seaside_Shop :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Excellent, MArtha. It will be nice to include your shop. (I have an eye on that McCalls cookbook, a nod to my childhood.)

        Delete
    7. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. If we can minimize spread and get those that feel the ill effects good care early, maybe that will be successful. Fascinating work I'm sure. My youngest should learn about his job as she explores all the opportunity for work in an international setting.

        Delete
    8. thats good news that you can continue to work from home. Love the post title :) well done on the savings from following up the medical bill!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, I didn't see it as good news. I'd rather be able to work in the office at least a few days a week, but know it is the right call. I guess I wasn't expecting them to be so far forward thinking in making this decision. I expected they would add through MArch, but June was a bit of a shock to say so early.

        Delete
    9. Your brownies sound delicious. Arilx

      ReplyDelete
    10. I am thinking of starting a Thrifty Thursday on Thursday's I feel like I am not posting money savings like I should.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It helps me think through wha ti have or haven't done. I'm not sure if it is useful to others, or to me yet. I haven't amassed a huge bank account, nor solved the green issues, but I'm trying to at least be accountable.

        Delete
    11. I have been buying second hand, very good quality clothing on ebay the past few years. Most of it is hardly worn at all. I think people who can afford good clothing tend to look after it. I'd rather buy good second hand that will last me for years than cheap fast fashion.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You are probably right about the nice clothes and good keeping. That and people with real money tend to have more clothes than days in a week to wear, and stay on top of the latest, so purge their closets more often.

        Delete
    12. Love your idea about using Thrift stores, Etsy, etc. Also understand using Kohl's. Just a thought, Kohl's (like Target, WM) have curbside pickup. I place orders w/ Kohl's, choose the store I want to use for pickup, and usually, within about 2-3 hours the items are ready for pickup and they bring it right out to your car. No shipping charges. Just a thought.... chris

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Great reminder on pick-up and go. I should do that more as I guess it is safer for the workers as well if fewer people are physically in the stores.

        Delete
    13. Well done on querying that bill. Even if you only saved $20 it's worth it but to save such a large amount is great. And that brownie does indeed look wonderful. I also think it's good you know where you stand re working from home. My son actually works for the World Health Organization in Geneva (in the covid unit no less) and they've gone back to Phase I - all except essential staff back to working from home! Sadly this pandemic isn't going anywhere yet is it!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I just have to change my mindset on the work from home, and the realization that the way work can and will happen in the future will be ever changed. Brownies are good any time, but I an feel sanctimonious about these being a bit healthier because of fruit!

        Delete
    14. Great saving on the insurance bill!
      I love your willingness and sacrifice to keep your family and others safe. My husband just learned that his office can work from home until June too, so I am thankful.
      I was watching a YouTube video about shortages, and she was talking about the "supposed pandemic"?? So many stupid people in this country, it's no wonder covid is spiking.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I get so frustrated reading or watching anything using the word plandemic-or that this is all about government control. Really? The entire world leadership is in on it? I don't see myself sacrificing as much as others, particularly young people and people with children at home. now that is a life change!

        Delete

    Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.