Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Post Christmas Sales and a Wrap

Christmas feels like this picture-a whirlwind and a haze!
I really don't need to buy anything in the stores today, though I did not have enough ribbon and bows. I was looking for Christmas napkins in my stick pile and couldn't find them so that is on my list to. I put a small miscellaneous line on my Christmas budget and the post Christmas shop will go in there. If I spot some good hand creams and lip stuff for my girls, I'll toss those in the cart because they make good stocking stuffers and fillers and sorely needed in our Minnesota winters. I also look for clearanced holiday socks, a throw back to my mom who liked to buy them for others and wear them. I'm going out in a little while, then hoping to sort through some of the house clutter, so a final wash for DS, and hopefully get him to eat down some of the leftovers. Monday morning he made himself a good looking bagel and cream cheese loaded with some of the leftover salmon. I froze the ham bone, with a lot of meat on it for a future soup, but will also freeze a significant amount of the leftover ham, leaving some for the next few days. 

DH has to work, as does DD1. DD2 is meeting up with friends late morning for a Christmas party, fitting it in between those with part time jobs, more travelling or hosting relatives, or just vegging. I don't know for sure what our plans are for all day, but we might do a  last happy hour before taking DS to the airport rather than go our for lunch which would work better for the worker bees. There's a report that snow is coming later afternoon, which could muck up getting him to the airport, but his flight isn't until 8:15. DS will also use my car and go help his grandma for a bit, and have a one to one visit. Mostly, I hope to just putter with and without DS in the house, and appreciate the time we had together. 

I wish we were like the UK and Canada and celebrate Boxing Day, giving a planned day to casually interact with family and friends, eating up the food we all prepared, relaxing with just movies or games. I guess in a way, that is what I am doing today. Who is going out to shop today? Are you looking to restock your wrapping and paperware or are you hoping to score future gifts? Is anyone shopping for yourself? Please join the conversation and link to your post if you have one. 

17 comments:

  1. No shopping for us, I hope. We have an unexpected kid free day (last night, the boys asked my parents if they could stay over, & my parents were thrilled to have them). I'm hoping to go for a run or walk on the beach, get a few house things done, and make a menu for the rest of our trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll likely run across the ultimate clearance once home and just out and about. I had a few specific things I was hoping to snag a deal on-mostly ribbon, but bought a few things for next year, and a few gifts.

      Delete
  2. I don't plan on doing any shopping today. I have more wrapping paper than I could use in ten years, I think. I love Christmas wrapping paper, and went crazy several years in a row when it was very cheap. I could use more ribbon, but with our move, I am not going to get any. In any case, I am going to wait until Rite Aid has its 75% off sale before I deliberately do after Christmas shopping. It is somehow a tradition that I pick up an Amaryllis for DH at that sale. As much as I would like to get things like ribbon, chocolate and the toiletry gift sets for next year, I am going to abstain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided no toiletry sets, though I did get each of my girls bath bombs because they love those-may just give them to use whenever they feel a need and not even tuck away until Christmas. I bought some other things I won't mention, but one, well actually three of something,I am totally ecstatic about. I also got thee packs of holidy nut, well just nuts, but at 50% off because they re declared holiday. I'm sending one back with Ds, I'll keep one here, nd give one to my daughter. I also grabbed a hickory Farm set for DS as he loves those little things, and he can bring along for a New Years party or a football game day. Most of what I got I doubt will get cheaper-will be sold out Only 1 pack of napkins to be found though-weird.

      Delete
    2. It is nice having a second day to relax - but a lot of Canadians use this day to shop the boxing day sales. I am not. We see Kid #2 off this afternoon then we are just going to relax and eat leftovers. Way too much cooking the last 4 days!

      Delete
    3. I hosted my kids, but brought a lot of food two consecutive days-I agree with needing a day to not cook-just relax. We sent our oldest back last night, and no, Christmas is officially over as I am back in the office for the next three work days.

      Delete
  3. We were always lucky in that since 1981 (I joined my company in 1980) our organization always shut down between Christmas and New Year. This year we are closed from 23 December and they go back on 3 January so it is VERY generous. Not that it matters to me of course as I'm not going back. I thought about running out to the toll booth company today and cancelling my monthly contract that I won't be needing any more but couldn't be bothered. Will do it tomorrow. Basically I have slobbed on the sofa all day. I feel a bit "guilty" but sooner that than hitting the sales. Yuck. I can't stand the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was lucky having both Christmas Eve nd Day off as holidays at my last job. I had to use a vacation day for Christmas Eve and day after. I just did a run to the local Walmart and it was not busy at all.

      Delete
  4. I only got dressed at 5pm today, ready to take our youngest daughter back to Manchester. It's been a day of eating leftovers and watching films - Jumanji, Big and Mrs Doubtfire, which are all favourites of ours. I haven't been sales shopping for years, but when I was younger and my Dad was still alive, we would make a day of it, and he would take us for lunch ( in those days the shops were closed on Boxing Day so it was always on 27th). He loved shopping, and was the consummate bargain hunter...I still miss him enormously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missing people doesn't really get easier, does it, just a new normal. After brining my son to the airport last night, we just relaxed s well-leftovers and cheese and crackers. That's the meal plan today as well.

      Delete
  5. I'm actually back to work today and don't plan to do any shopping at all. What I do plan to do after all the heavy foods and sweets I ate during the holiday is to go out and pickup a huge salad for lunch! My mouth is watering just thinking about something light and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loads of greens and some cucumber and carrots left-a salad sounds really good for my lunch at work. I have two days in the office, then the weekend, and back for New Years Eve.

      Delete
  6. No shopping here - I think (fingers crossed) I can make it one more year without buying wrapping paper. If I run out of paper, I have TONS of bags I can use so I'm staying out of the stores. I'm a terrible impulse buyer, so for me, it is better to just stay home. Tomorrow we will be heading to the bank to empty out our coin jar - can't wait to see how much is in it. This next year I am keeping one bank (my daughter gets animal banks for me...sort of started a collection) just for any money I find through the year to see how much that might be.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up buying half priced nuts, but we et a lot of them and I compared to the regular prices of non-holiday nuts and they still really were a bargain, and bought my son a Hillshire Farm box of meat and cheese, as a parting gift. those were impulse buys. I snagged some good birthday gifts for my younger niece nd nephews. I'll admit to a couple impulse buys for future gifts as well.

      Delete
  7. I only did the grocery shopping so I wouldn't have to go out on the weekend. I stopped at Walmart on my way to work (only giving myself 20 min) and the grocery store at lunch, sticking to the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart lady. I think I am good now until next year, but ribbon and npkins, what I set out to get, were quite limited so may run over tot he Target next door to my office.

      Delete
  8. Yes-sales a plenty, on stuff most of us didn't need before Christmas and probably don't need after.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.