Saturday, January 5, 2019

December and 2018 Financial Wrap-Up

I
can pull the plug on 2019. Yikes, financially, it was one of our lowest savings years in a long time. I hate that I can't really determine where my original math was so off-over confidence that DH's earnings would be more stable and I'm sure leaks all over the place. We are finishing in the black, though looking below, it's easy to see we made no progress on home upgrades and barely made a dent in the college fund. I have no regrets on taking the trip. Had we waited, things would have been just that much more, plus, even with out budget blip, we really only spent $552 over my early estimate. Remember, this was five people, two week, and three countries. We'll be content with local travel for the next few years and I am determined to plug the holes. 

Original Plan


1.      Fully fund the Roth                                              $13,000

2.      Once in a lifetime family vacation                        $15,552 ($3,000 added +$552 overage)

3.      College Fund                                                       $12,000

4.      College and Show Choir Road Trips                   $  1,500

5.      All State Camp                                                    $     650
6.      Home Upgrades                                                  $  9,000                                                                                                                                  $51,702
Annual Savings Goal          $38,702 ($51,702 priority budget-$13,000 from savings)

Actual Action


Roth                                          $13,000
Taken from Savings                 -$13,000
Vacation expenses paid             $15,552
Pre-paid college deposits                 400
College/Show Choir trips paid   $ 1,495

All State Payments                    $   650

Cash Savings Increase             $  3,220 

Total Savings achieved             $21,317


Underachieved target:  $17,385 

I'm still laughing or perhaps that is crying. I'm not sure anymore. All I know is besides the trip, we had some very expensive months that I can't really put my finger on, plus several dips in earnings that I was not counting on. 2019 is a new year. I received my first paycheck of the new year yesterday so now I know roughly my take home will be about $1,600 more than last year. We can put an additional $1,000 in our 401K so over the course of the next 30 years, God willing we'll be here to enjoy it, that $1,000 will double multiple times without us missing it from our month to month cash flow now. That's a financial wrap on 2018. Cheers to seeing more green in 2019. 

6 comments:

  1. It is easy to over estimate when you have a job that you can't really determine how mush will come in, but I think great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the kid starting college, I feel like we need to learn to live off just my salary.

      Delete
  2. I think any job that is based on commission is so hard to estimate correctly, because things can change that are out of your control.
    Here is to looking forward and a great year for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nrrn an interesting 30 year ride since he started in sales. Looking positively forward.

      Delete
  3. I hate it when I've failed, but to your point, when I can't figure out where I went wrong with the original estimates. I fail all of the time, and as long as I can say, ah, yes, it was this reason, at least I can put it away. It lingers in my mind when I can't "solve it".

    I like your suggestion of potentially living off of your salary & using your husband's income for savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living off just my salary is more a hope-stretch- than a goal, but I am looking for ways to cut back in unimportant areas every day.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.