Wednesday, January 23, 2019

How to Make Up some Financial Ground in February

photo by www.climbstation.com
I'm not going to sugar coat it. Despite my stretching the H&G budget this month, January is kicking our financial butts. The car repair set us back $1,047. Weekend trip one was over $400, a good $100 more than I had thought it would be and I suspect weekend trip 2 will be $30 more as we are driving farther and gas is creeping back up. Add to that, DH's second pay check of the month, despite the massive amount of extra hours he had to put in, was pretty  sad. We've photos for both choirs, and yes, I know I am not obligated to buy, but I am/did. 

Woe is not me though. I'm trying to think positive and tighten my purse strings as much as I can without causing resentment and feelings of deprivation. Wile I can't commit with real honesty to a no spend month, I can make it a skinny spend month. 

1. Pair using the Target gift cards I got for 10% less back in December and/or the earned cards from buying multiples, with Target specials/new gift cards to restock the TP supply and other household items we will need in February. 
2. Limit my book club night to a single beer or wine and perhaps a shared appetizer. I spent too much this month because I went to the meet-up tired, hungry, and thirsty. 
3. Maximize the small, but they add up, CVS bucks. I seem to get $2 e-mailed to me, and if I pair with the in-store coupons and specials can keep some of the items we buy every month anyway super low. 
4. Since we are gone another Saturday for show choir, plus are both working the  competition our school is hosting, we have built in entertainment for two weekends. We will use Netflix and dinner at home for movie nights those weekends, and could get by not spending anything two weekends in the month. 
5. We are due for a night out with our friends. Perhaps this is the month I just have them over for beer, food, and conversation, saving at least $25 from the bill to go out. If we do decide to go out, I'll suggest a Sunday afternoon happy hour where we can keep our out of pocket minimal. 
6. Find at least four opportunities to telework and save nearly a full tank of gas. this will require organizing my schedule differently, but should be doable. 
7. Ignore any gifts for Valentines Day. Saving for our daughters college is showing more love in our family than token gifts, over priced flowers, and chocolate we don't need since are all still full of our various Christmas stashes. I'll start the day with some homemade muffins and drop off some for DD1 as well. 
8. Pack a heat and eat lunch for DH the night before, hoping to keep him from rationalizing going out for a fast food meal. It goes without saying that I'll bring my own lunch and  morning coffee. 
9. Continue to cook budget friendly meals with variety-allowing myself to stock up on loss leaders, while still aiming for the lowest monthly spend I can.
10. Hold off registering for a Community Ed yoga class. while I did enjoy it, I feel like I need to be able to commit to exercising in my own home with free to me/already paid for resources such as the Fab, Fit, Fun subscription. 

Individually, nothing will net a large bank role. Cumulatively, these items will shave  $100 or more form our planned budget. and that does not feel like deprivation at all. 

2 comments:

  1. Lots of good ways to tighten the February budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be using multiple screw drivers to tighten things up, that's for sure.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.