Sunday, March 17, 2019

Travel Week-Travel Meals

Happy St Patrick's Day! I have just a touch of the Irish in my blood but didn't hit the big downtown St Paul celebrations. I last left our grocery balance at $107 for the week. With some crazy scheduling, we didn't get sandwiches and snacks made for the road trip, but DH bought some muffins and juice when he filled the car, which came to about $10. I did my meal planning yesterday, picked up a few things last night to go with the soup I made for dinner, and to relieve  the complaints that there was nothing in the house. I need to head to the store for a few more items today like laundry soap and pups food. We have several variations of chicken so like it or not, that is going to be featured in the meals. This is a Saturday-Tuesday menu, heavily featuring leftovers and reheat and eat (bought a few microwave pot pies) as Monday and Tuesday are jam packed. We'll be leaving Wednesday morning, more than likely eating some egg burritos or something substantial before getting on the road. 

Saturday: Chicken tortellini soup with vegetables and French bread
Sunday lunch: Meatballs, mashed potatoes and steamed carrots
Sunday supper: Chicken strips,sweet potatoes, steamed vegetables
Extra: Pulled BBQ chicken (I made extra chicken for the soup and will shred and add BBQ) + baked beans-from a can
Monday: leftovers and reheat
Tuesday: leftovers and reheat


For road trip
deli ham and turkey
sliced cheese
dollar buns-need to buy Tuesday night
apples
popcorn
granola bars-will get when I get pups food and laundry soap
Gold Fish
Pea Pod snack

We'll send DD2 with a lunch/large snack of a couple sandwiches on the dollar buns and apples, plus a couple of the snacks she likes including the Gold Fish crackers and pea pod snacks. I spent $45 at the store yesterday, now with a $52 balance. We'll still have nearly a full week once we are home Sunday night. I have a two day business trip almost immediately once we are back, leaving just next Monday to plan for the week.  Even though I'll still have chicken, ground turkey, and lots of tuna plus pantry items, it's doubtful I'll stay under my $400 average despite so many meals out this month as after today there won't be much if anything left. Some months are like that. 

12 comments:

  1. Some months are like that indeed! This whole quarter has been like that, with eldest's late night classes. The quarter ends tomorrow! Anyhow, chicken will figure prominently into the meals here for the next week or so. We have the leftovers of a Costco rotisserie chicken bought Friday. (Costco here is a 3 hour ordeal minimum, no way I cook after it, so the chicken and French country bread was my version of takeout.) We also have a freezer full of boneless skinless chicken breasts bought at an insanely cheap price--I couldn't say no!
    Tonight is corned beef, cabbage and Guinness cake. Tomorrow will be either cottage pie or chicken enchiladas, if I can bring myself to get to the store to buy tortillas. I will probably do baked Italian style chicken later in the week. No idea what the other days will be until Sunday, when I plan on making a sirloin tip beef roast knowing we'll be sick of chicken. I am in a cooking rut! To break it, I am planning on making homemade peanut butter eggs later in the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we spent a small fortune on St Patrick's day meting up with friends. I like your menu better.

      Delete
  2. Some months just get all nutted up and there is nothing to do but go with the flow. I hope you have a wonderful trip and get to enjoy Nashville a little. I think it is a cool city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We plan to enjoy the down time, the time chatting or listening to a book in the car, and music beyond my kids group. I am ready for a break.

      Delete
  3. March is such a long month too, I am a little over where I should be at this point but am not going to worry about it. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've avoided food waste for the most part and that is a goal, so some wins.

      Delete
  4. With all the travel and you gone it will be hard, but you can always get as close as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been doing a lot more meal planning lately (especially when my hubby is home!) and it is paying off. Leftovers have played a huge part in stretching the budget. I also enjoy the challenge of seeing how little I can spend during a set period of time! You are doing well and I think you will make it without blowing your budget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll play loose but won't blow the budget. I don't wan tit to become stressful.

      Delete
  6. I see the trolls are out again. I get to vet all the comments on my blog before they are published so I just deleted "Mr. Mumbai hookers"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I only get those after a few days, so I have my filter on for older than 3 days. The bots are getting smarter! I hate to change because I often don't get back to the blog until the next morning and then there is a comments between people that would be missed if I screened all. I'll have to watch.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.