Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Cooking on a Dime: New Series

Old Bean Burger Picture-Daughters looked better
Friday night I stopped over at my daughters for a visit and to look at some online articles together. She was making herself bean burgers and sweet potato wedges and invited me to eat with her. Oh goodness were her burgers delicious! My readers know I love a good math exercise. Her recipes give me ample opportunity to be a math geek. These are packed with protein with the  combination of beans, brown rice, and oats. We ate without buns. 

I remember when she was younger and lived at home or staying with us briefly between moves and buying the Morningstar or other Vegan brands of burgers. On sale, I could buy Morningstar in a box of 4 for $3.50. I think the Aldi brand was around $2.49. Both adequate, but a little "boxy" tasting. I've experimented with using canned beans and spices, with and without oat for moderate success. Her's though were truly tasty. She does a couple things for cost savings and flavor that I have not done and there lies the difference I believe. She uses ground oat flour, but ground herself in her food processor. She also buys dried black beans and prepares them herself, later using in recipes or added to salads. 
  Black Bean and Brown Rice Burgers

  • 1.5 cup black beans prepared from dried beans  ($.52)
  • 1 cup of brown rice bag was around ($.50 prepared)
  • 2 Tbs tomato paste ($.24)
  • 1 to 1.5 cups Oats grounded into flour around $.24) for tub
  • Water as needed
Add in any spices or garlic preferred. Also, if you want to bulk up with more vegetables, add chopped onions, carrots and celery. 'll estimate $.50 total based on options individuals might choose. 
Ground the oats into flour first and add other ingredients. Add in water slowly to help mix, don’t want it runny. 
Shape into patties and cook for 10 min at 350° then flip and cook for 10-15 more minutes.
 I am estimating high at $2.00 for 6 medium, or four very large burgers. With sweet potatoes wedges, essentially one each, one was plenty of the medium size, leaving her four for lunches or a quick meal on the go. 




4 comments:

  1. I've never been a fan of veggie burgers, having only ever had frozen, but hers look delicious!
    Things like grinding oats into flour, or soaking and cooking dried beans are not that time consuming. Sure, it might not be feasible to do with each recipe, but I figure I can soak a bag of black beans overnight, slow cook it the next day, divide it into containers and store it in the refrigerator, giving me beans for at least 5 different recipes in less time than it would take to get to the store and back. After the initial work (which is no work at all, as the only hands on time is pouring the beans in the slow cooker to soak, then rinsing, and starting the slow cooker) it's actually quicker to grab a dish from the refrigerator for burritos than to open a can with the opener!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly her mindset. I can learn a lot fomr the younger generation. And you are correct-these are not like the often card board tasting patties in the freezer. They always remind me of Nando's in the UK.

      Delete
  2. I have had some veggie burgers I like and some, well, not so much. I do think homemade burgers are much better than the boxed variety though. Plus the boxed ones are generally made of soy while the homemade ones are usually black beans which just taste better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her's had a nice texture, hearty and not mealy. She doesn't use much soy in her diet.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.